Dirk1313

Lego Master Builder Academy closed in 2014!

Today I received the news, that Lego Master Builder Academy will be closed in 2014:

It is with a heavy heart that I share this news: LEGO® Master Builder Academy is set to close in 2014.

[...]

LEGO MBA was launched in 2011 as a pilot in the US and tested in Germany in 2013. The project could see that the product was not scalable to other markets as it would have been overly complicated to provide each market with its own version.

Well THIS is a massive kick in the Chi-balls. Looks like my only hope of ever acquiring these is BrickLink. Was it an issue of distribution, marketing, language localisation, or a mix of all three?

I suspect it was mostly language/localization (both translation as well as any legal issues and rules in different markets

Well THIS is a massive kick in the Chi-balls. Looks like my only hope of ever acquiring these is BrickLink. Was it an issue of distribution, marketing, language localisation, or a mix of all three?

How about the atrocious price (with a sprinkle of marketing)?

Not even I truly knew what it was until the Lego Stores started to "promote" them. From the box, they look like a, non-coherent, extremely overpriced set. I saw plenty of people go "Ooh what's this?" only to look at the price (and the fact that the book was more or less the reason for that price) and put it back on the shelf disappointed.

I'm not surprised of this news at all.

Why they stopped doing Brickmaster for Club Members was beyond me!

...does this explain why I'm seeing them in TRU now (with obscene mark-up)?

I got Set 1 for Christmas. I'd like to get at least one other set (either the vehicle kit or the steampunk one) but I'm waiting on my birthday. (Now I wonder if I should buy them up for investment.)

This is a shame but it doesn't really surprise me. The end of the subscription model suggested that it was struggling, and even I began to lose interest after Level 3 (not because of the sets suffering, but because of the implicit push to get the most out of one level before "graduating" to the next). I'll miss the MBA series and the way it taught you to think like an actual Lego designer, and I hope something similar in its aims might replace it.

Today I received the news, that Lego Master Builder Academy will be closed in 2014:

It is with a heavy heart that I share this news: LEGO® Master Builder Academy is set to close in 2014.

The way I read this is that the web presence for the MBA will close in 2014. Does this mean that the sets are going to go EOL in 2014 as well? If so, it really reinforces my idea about LEGO products (and many other products)... Buy them as soon as you can after they are released, they could be discontinued at any moment.

For those who do not yet have the MBA sets, I suggest going to LEGO shop@home (it appears that they are all available now, at least on the USA site) soon and order them. In some ways they are rather simplistic, but in other ways they are really great. I have completed most of the sets and I really enjoyed them. When I built them I really took my time, really read all the hints and tips, studied the construction techniques. Then after enjoying the model for a short time, disassembled, bagged it up and put back in the box so I can build again to review. The are the only sets I save as sets after disassembly.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

It would be really nice if LEGO gave those of us who are VIPs who own one or more of these sets a chance to buy the rest at a discount before they hit general clearance. I know one of the reasons that was often mentioned for the high price ratio on these sets was the website, with that going away it makes it harder to justify completing a collection at the current prices.

I was unlucky enough to buy into MBA literally days before LEGO changed from a subscription model to a retail packaging model for these... also increasing the price from $100 for Kits 1-6 to $160 for the same. That always left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I've honestly not bought anything other than Kit 1 because I've been waiting for a price drop or clearance. It looks like that will finally be coming, the question is whether I'll be able to get in on it or not. I just can't justify spending $290 to buy the rest - that's almost two modulars... but knock 30% off that and I might bite.

It would be really nice if LEGO gave those of us who are VIPs who own one or more of these sets a chance to buy the rest at a discount before they hit general clearance. I know one of the reasons that was often mentioned for the high price ratio on these sets was the website, with that going away it makes it harder to justify completing a collection at the current prices.

In most LEGO sets you are paying for bricks. In my opinion with the MBA the bricks are basically free and you are paying for the books that come with the sets. the $30 set includes 1 book, the $80 sets include 3 books. These books are more than just instructions on how to build models, they are an insight on how to design models. I bought the whole series ($320 at retail) and I consider it a bargain for a self-paced course on how and why the "LEGO Master Builders" design the sets the way they do. I plan to go back to these sets many times to refresh my memory on the how and why of LEGO design and building.

If anyone is looking at the sets just for the models... Then the price is high, if you are looking at is as a course in LEGO, it is a great deal. This is why more than anything I am sad to see the LEGO MBA leave. There are books that can teach much of the same info, but the MBA kits have the parts needed to do the assignment. It is not just 1 model and a few alternates, it is one model and several alternates.

If you want the MBA, I suggest you get it soon, don't wait for sales, it is worth the full price!

Just MHO,

Andy D

This is quite a shame. I purchased Level 1 - Space Designer last year and was thrilled with it. I enjoyed the models and the little notes with building techniques in the instructions. It is unfortunate that they cannot go on, but I hope that LEGO develops a similar product, or brings back something along the lines of Brickmaster.

It's a shame. But sadly I think the combination of widespread localization and being more than a little high for the ideal price point is what has ended this one. Really these needed to be priced and designed to be good gifts. Something from an Aunt or a Grandmother. Something that felt educational. For that to work they need to really hit a price point a bit lower than these were at MSRP.

I got real lucky today. My local Lego store had the # 4,5,6 Action Designer set as an open box/crushed/damaged special for $39. At that price I couldn't resist. And the books really are wonderful. I just wish these weren't so expensive.

I was at the Ontario, California... Ontario Mills Mall LEGO Store lat night and they had all the MB sets in stock. They even had a few 20217 Action Designer sets (kits 4,5,6) crushed box sales (20% off). Looks like there is still good availability for all the sts in stores an at shop@home. I know they may seem expensive, but if you want them, get them now as I'll bet they will just go up on eBay prices.

Andy D

I have the space box and just got the scone box tonight. I just did the airport model, I really like these, I feel like as an adult newbie, I didn't really know how to do a lot without following instructions, and these are giving me some good skills.

But I think that with two big boxes of these, I am good. I don't want to buy any more of them, I have gotten into the Creator series and those are $25 each and also build three models. I am going to start collecting those instead.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just found two MBA kits--Level One, Part II (robots and microbuilds) and Level Three (storyteller) on clearance at a local toy shop. I'm not bringing this up as a "find" so much as to point out that some of the MBA kits are still floating around out there, so there's still a minute chance to get into these. Small chance.

I really do like this concept--I got my daughter to do the Space Designer a few weeks ago, and I think she really needs a kit that will teach her how to put thought and structure into her designs. I suppose there's also the Brickmaster sets out there--still plenty of those in bookstores--but those aren't really designed as teaching tools, but more as samplers with multiple alernate builds. Plus, I really like the MBA books. I'm really sad that I likely won't find MBA Level Two for a reasonable price at this point. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll find someone who's selling just the manuals so at least we can have a complete bookshelf.