You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest MOC : a UCS AAT.

12834703375_ce305567bc_b.jpgUCS AAT by Anio, sur Flickr

12834702545_97f6b7b6a9_b.jpgUCS AAT by Anio, sur Flickr

12835125094_ba8a2e54d6_b.jpgUCS AAT by Anio, sur Flickr

My FlickR gallery for more photos :

And My Brickshlef gallery for even more photos : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=540525

Few words about the model :

- it uses a lot of tan bricks and I like that. Still, 2 parts (cones) are painted because not yet available in tan. I thank Nicks, a Belgian AFOL, for his help to paint those 2 parts.

- the model has the features you can expect from a UCS model : all cannons rotating, with friction to keep an angle. The cannons on the sides use gears for that.

33.JPG

- the model has a realistic interior with seats, controls, periscope, etc. The back door can be opened and the side panels can be easily removed to see more details.

- the model is only made out of 1,000 bricks. I think it is a reasonnable amount of parts given the features included.

- as usual, the model comes with a display card.

- technically speaking, the model is not that complex. You have some SNOT here and there, and few other techniques.

- but the design process was still tricky. First, I had to make the model "hollow" to put an interior. But this should not compromise the outside look.

- overall, I had to adapt the real model for it to fit the Lego system. If you analyse closely, you will see that I totally redesigned some areas for the model to looks cool with Lego Bricks. It is hard to explain. But for you to get the idea, I would say that is was important to keep both a nice flow and the key lines of the model, in order to catch the spirit of the AAT.

Some other pics :

12834698795_bf3b083b79_b.jpgUCS AAT by Anio, sur Flickr

34.JPG

40.JPG

19.JPG

A short video to see the model in flesh :

If you have any question, please, ask.

Stay tuned for the next UCS model. ;)

Anio

The AAT being my favorite droid vehicle, this is awesome! It captures the look and feel perfectly, (although a few tiles on that lower platform thing wouldn't hurt) it overall looks great. :thumbup:

Outstanding as always, my only complaint is the front, there are too many studs for my taste but that's just me being picky.

Once again you have made a great looking UCS scale model Anio. The base of the cannons and the interior are exceptional. My only criticism is that the launch tubes appear on the underside of the slope rather than the above. Was there a reason for this, such as design complications? Also as arc previously mentioned, I'm curious as to what the model would have looked like with some tiles on the lower platform. Overall a great model, and for only around 1,000 pieces it is a true marvel.

although a few tiles on that lower platform thing wouldn't hurt
my only complaint is the front, there are too many studs for my taste but that's just me being picky.

Putting tiles on an sculpture shaped part would not be very tasteful IMO.

Studs everywhere on that part brings consistency.

Moreover, studs tend to smooth the "stair effect" (with tiles, stair effect is VERY visible).

Well, it is the same approach as the head of R2D2 10225, but smoother. I like it. :)

My only criticism is that the launch tubes appear on the underside of the slope rather than the above. Was there a reason for this, such as design complications?

Yes, I explain that on TechLUG.

The holes are the key feature of the "skirt". I have to make them accurate. And for that, the best thing to do is to use a round shape. 2x2 ideally. So I choose the barrel.

But I can not make them visible on the upper side without destroying the line made with wings. And this line is important to put some flow in the "skirt".

So, I put the barrel in the thickness of the "skirt". But with that SNOT technique, I can not close the underside with a new layer of plates. The SNOT for tubes prevents me to do so...

Compromise, compromise, as always.

It's an unusual idea for a UCS, but I really like it, especially the interior and how un-busy it looks with the side plates off. I also like the studded 'skirt' it look 'Legoish'.

Hi

my first thought regarding the "wing" was "nice curves but not detail = boring". Then i took a look on the "real thing/studio model": man, it IS boring ;)

So Anio, once again a nice UCS. Legos versions got more life because of the printed or stickerd quarter disk pieces. Its imposiible for you to add detail and brick-build the "wing".

Did you thought about adding more dark tan to get a worn used look?

Where the real thing has detail your has it too!

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

I've always wanted a minifig/system scale set of this as I think it is such a nice vehicle. Seeing your's as a UCS version, it looks exceptionally well done!

Im not one for tiles, I like the use of the studs to ease the curved look. I can understand how tiles would probably make it look a 'blocky sloped' effect rather than a smooth sloped transition, so great job on that!

I also thought about the barrels and looking at your problem with it, I'd say you did a good compromise. There may be a way of sorting it out, maybe not, who knows, until something else comes along. But for now? Id certainly be happy with it exactly how it is.

As also mentioned, the interior is good and doesn't look too busy. Seeing this has made me think that perhaps a republic fighter tank might be next on the cards for your UCS version?

After seeing this AAT, I'm pretty sure you could do a republic fighter tank justice!

That is indeed beautiful. Someone could easily mistake it for a real set if they stumbled upon an image of this MOC online. I love the tan, and the attention to detail. Amazing model.

Did you thought about adding more dark tan to get a worn used look?

From experience, I know this is something very hard to reproduce, if not impossible.

I generally avoid to put that kind of details. When you try to reproduce very small dammages, you end up with some odd colors here and there. The model doesn't not look more accurate or realistic. It just looks weirder. :-S

As also mentioned, the interior is good and doesn't look too busy. Seeing this has made me think that perhaps a republic fighter tank might be next on the cards for your UCS version?

After seeing this AAT, I'm pretty sure you could do a republic fighter tank justice!

I am sure I could too.

I am not a big fan of that vehicle, though. I stick to the vehicles from the movies. No need to say that my next UCS is a famous vehicle.

haha

Someone could easily mistake it for a real set if they stumbled upon an image of this MOC online.

Dat's what I do. clooney16.gif

You just can't make any bad models, can you?

Because this is yet another gem. The shape is accurate as can be (and I totally agree with using the studded look), the details are all there (love the cockpit, although a bit more sand green wouldn't look of), the cannon is a straight beauty, and ose angled parts are delicious. I'm also a bit surprised you managed to make a sturdy and balanced model, because when I look at that first picture, I'm a bit concerned it might topple over.

Some minor details I noted (only after thoroughly comparingto reference pictures), is that the dark tan border at the back of the front 'skirt' should go all the way round, and not only occupy the top section as in your model. Also, the widening at the base of the cockpit seems not enough for me. 3x3 corner roof tiles could fix that (although they haven't appeared in a single set in tan, they ARE available on Bricklink). Finally, I consider the grey burnt stripes above the cannons as part of the vehicle, so I am missing those, although I understand how hard they are to replicate in Lego.

Anyway, those are but my humble suggestions for improvement, if there's even anything to improve on this wonderful model. You just keep surprising us! Hat off.

You just can't make any bad models, can you?

huhu

I'm a bit concerned it might topple over.

If you really push the rear, it can topple over. But the model is stable. The skirt is actually pretty heavy because made as a Lego sculpture.

Moreover, I can not put the trans-clear supports too close from the edge of the skirt. Those support have to be discrete and hidden as much as possible.

the dark tan border at the back of the front 'skirt' should go all the way round, and not only occupy the top section as in your model.

On every single pic I collected, the back side of the skirt is not fully dark tan/brown. There is just a line of the edge of the back side of the skirt.

Ok, it is thicker that what I did, I give you that. :)

Also, the widening at the base of the cockpit seems not enough for me. 3x3 corner roof tiles could fix that (although they haven't appeared in a single set in tan, they ARE available on Bricklink).

Damn, this is one of the thing that I will not be able to explain in English. :tongue:

Well, I will try. Brace yourself for ununderstandable sentences. :grin:

The 2x2 corner slopes are actually not the core of the "problem". The thing is that the front face is too wide. I made it 4L wide, while we can reasonnalby assume that an exact replica of the real vehicule would give a 2L front side. And then, after this 2L front side, the front fairing widens.

(edit : by the way, a 4L wide front side was very convenient to add the dish /edit)

Aat.jpg

And this is the problem. It is basically impossible to widen the model without destroying the flow the model MUST have. This is why I choose only 2 key points to widen the body : at the curved line (which accentuate it, it is a good thing as it is a key line of the model), and close to the power convertor (it accentuates them too, which is a good thing too).

Eventually, the model widens on 2 points only, but it is well integrated. There is no area where the widening is forced (which would detract the flow).

The overall proportions are very accurate, excepted if you look at the model from the front : the body is definitely not wide enough compared to the skirt.

21.JPG

To sum it up : the way widenings are made is subtle, and yes, it does not match exactly the real vehicle. But I think this was the right choice to do, in order to instil fluidity in the model.

You just keep surprising us! Hat off.

Thank you.

Great work Anio!

You've made the best replica of this that anyone could expect, considering its awkward shape. It looks very professional and could easily be an official model; I especially like the shape of the turret and the interior which add some interesting details to it.

Very well done a lot more sleeker and rounded than rgeigers version.

Excellent work as always! I think that the staggered plates work really well in this situation to give it that gradual curve. I like the way you added those angles while still leaving room for the interior.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Edited by jasbury

Thank you. :)

The instruction should be available in a couple of months.

Thanks guys. I did a video of the model.