TheBrickPal

Upcoming Classic Space Reboot?

I think LEGO should do a true Space line, not just a theme here and a theme there but something that will evolve.

Something continuous (i know is spelled that wrong..)..

Classic space combined with iceplanet, combined with spacepolice combined with blacktron combined with alien conquest.

Maybe something Star Trekkie, mankind exploring space, but not al of mankind is a goody 2 shoes, meeting friendly and not so friendly non-human species on the way :grin:

Why would prices skyrocket?

Maybe because a reboot would renew the interest in the old stuff. Isn't that the basic assumption of supply and demand?

Maybe because a reboot would renew the interest in the old stuff. Isn't that the basic assumption of supply and demand?

That's exactly what I think.

I think the opposite (prices decreasing) might happen in some cases, particularly regarding individual parts. Neo Classic Space is already a fairly popular "fan theme" and a lot of the demand for parts like Trans. Yellow windscreens is driven by that and similar themes popular among spacers. If a new Classic Space-based theme came out, there would be a new source for those sorts of parts in sizeable quantities. Even though the new parts would obviously not match the classic ones (particularly Trans. Yellow windshields, which would mostly have to be modern varieties instead of the retired ones used in the original Classic Space), fans new to Classic Space building would now have more options other than buying the limited and expensive original sets.

The recent movie Gravity shows space can be action packed without evil space aliens and laser guns, why not?

I'd like to see more science experiment-ish stuff, dogs in space, zero-g botany lab, etc, plausible 'missions' for sets

also, astroid miner

it'll have mechanical arms with claws and saws and 'geopenetrator probes'(shooter gimmicks)

sure to please kids and afols alike

I think the Marvel Super Heroes line may beat you to the Space Dog. Meet Cosmo

51_guardians_of_the_galaxy_15.jpg

Yes, please bring back Classic Space and Blacktron, too. Bases, big ships, little ships, and futuristic town would be just perfect.

I miss the old sets where you could get a rather cheap ship that was awesome, because lots of parts didn't have to go into tiny throwaway builds for the bad guys.

Wow, I never thought this topic would become so popular to discuss! I enjoy hearing all of your ideas. Let me reply to some.

Kind of a misleading subject line there, don't you think?

Yeah, I agree with you there. Perhaps a moderator could move this to something along the lines of "Classic Space Reboot Ideas"?

I think LEGO should do a true Space line, not just a theme here and a theme there but something that will evolve.

Something continuous (i know is spelled that wrong..)..

Classic space combined with iceplanet, combined with spacepolice combined with blacktron combined with alien conquest.

Maybe something Star Trekkie, mankind exploring space, but not al of mankind is a goody 2 shoes, meeting friendly and not so friendly non-human species on the way :grin:

I'm all for that! Not having LEGO to invent a new space theme ever again, but maybe with subthemes that are each based on old space themes like Ice Planet, Classic Space, Blacktron, Space Police, and a combination of the human vs alien themes. It sounds perfect.

Yes, please bring back Classic Space and Blacktron, too. Bases, big ships, little ships, and futuristic town would be just perfect.

Something like City, but with futuristic buildings in a colony on a planet, would be a dream come true. I can just imagine what sets we could see. Alien pizza shop?

I miss the old sets where you could get a rather cheap ship that was awesome, because lots of parts didn't have to go into tiny throwaway builds for the bad guys.

If Classic Space were to be revived in some way, I'd be surprised if we don't see quite a few low price point ships with a few useful and colorful parts and a minifigure.

Continue discussing, everyone!

Edited by Puffle Pal26

I'd love to see a Classic Space reboot, but I'm afraid it will never happen. Benny's spaceship is probably as close as we will get... :cry_sad:

Actually I would be perfectly happy if it was possible to buy some of the classic space bricks new at reasonable prices:

- trans-yellow windscreens

- LBG wing plates

- a few printed slopes with the space logo

I wish Lego would release a "Classics" line, where they do a single major set and minifigure pack from the various themes of the past.

A nice start could be for example:

Galaxy Explorer / minifig pack similar to 6702, but with figures in all 5 colors

Classic Yellow Castle / minifig pack similar to 6102

…and so on...

That would all be cool... but honestly, after this weekend, I definitely think Lego should consider Classic Space II.

I sell at a local convention here. I had a bunch of CS dudes in less than perfect condition that I thought I'd try and sell. Nothing crazy, basically between $1-6, depending on condition. Last year, ZERO sold. This weekend? Everything gone the first day, and most of them were bought by kids.

These were all whites and reds, btw. I had ONE blue one in pretty good condition. Priced him at $15, heh. Gone in the first hour.

Obviously Benny has taken hold.

I nod my head at what you're saying; it makes sense for TLG to revisit this theme. And while we are not to the point of beating a dead horse with the whole "humans vs aliens" topic because it will always appeal to children, I do think it is healthy for LEGO to change the direction and purpose of the next Space line. Classic Space is a great runner up.

I do think however that LEGO has many themes to dig up and modernize, not just Classic Space. Hence LEGO revisiting Space Police, they could just as easily revisit a polar Space theme, UFO Space theme, or organize a new theme altogether, perhaps an amalgamation of Aquazone and astronauts. We keep seeing homages to Blacktron and Classic Space, and since LEGO really hasn't abandoned the trend of fitting two species/enemies into its action themes, one could hope LEGO will make Blacktron the aggressor to a civilian CS in the very least.

Aimless dreaming aside, I look forward to see what LEGO will do with their cherished past themes we are so wanting to see return.

We must not forget that the most people posting here grew up with classic space. As with all sets that you grew up with: they have something special. So in our eyes Classic Space rocks, but does it rock also as a new theme for the current kids? Difficult question...

We must not forget that the most people posting here grew up with classic space. As with all sets that you grew up with: they have something special. So in our eyes Classic Space rocks, but does it rock also as a new theme for the current kids? Difficult question...

I didn't grow up with Classic Space, but it's still my favorite theme. That may largely be due to Space the Comic though.

Well if Lego reboots Classic Space, then current kids will grow up with it so they will think it rocks. :D

Seriously though. I grew up with Star Wars, X-Men, Batman, TMNT, and the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. And now 25 years later Lego is releasing Star Wars, X-Men, Batman, TMNT, and the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings sets. Why not Classic Space too?

If we liked it as kids, our kids will probably like it.

Edited by danth

Well, as I said, from my own limited recent experience, I'd say yes.

It will be interesting to see how well Benny's spaceship sells, and maybe, to a lesser extent, the Cuusoo mech, assuming they include a spaceman fig as the creator did.

Maybe that will convince Lego to make more CS style sets, and possibly a full line. :)

Well if Lego reboots Classic Space, then current kids will grow up with it so they will think it rocks. :D

Seriously though. I grew up with Star Wars, X-Men, Batman, TMNT, and the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. And now 25 years later Lego is releasing Star Wars, X-Men, Batman, TMNT, and the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings sets. Why not Classic Space too?

If we liked it as kids, our kids will probably like it.

I know, right? I wonder who started the idea that a theme won't sell unless it has a TV show, a movie, and a breakfast cereal to back it up. Lego supposedly gears sets to kids, not AFOL's. However, they release 4 Lego sets based on Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie rated PG-13. (Based on what I've seen of the trailer, 13 is pushing it. Zoe's side boob shot, Chris Pratt's middle finger, vulgar language, etc.) Believe me, I'm no prude. Just sayin'. Are these sets targeted towards that elusive 13-18 year old niche market?

I know, right? I wonder who started the idea that a theme won't sell unless it has a TV show, a movie, and a breakfast cereal to back it up. Lego supposedly gears sets to kids, not AFOL's. However, they release 4 Lego sets based on Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie rated PG-13. (Based on what I've seen of the trailer, 13 is pushing it. Zoe's side boob shot, Chris Pratt's middle finger, vulgar language, etc.) Believe me, I'm no prude. Just sayin'. Are these sets targeted towards that elusive 13-18 year old niche market? [emphasis added]

Not necessarily, no. Films are pushing the limit of PG-13 ratings further and further with each year, and it hasn't stopped young kids from going to see them; LEGO is not going to avoid cashing in on that if they're already in a position to easily get a license; sure, they won't go out of their way to get licenses for more mature or violent franchises like Mega Bloks has done with Halo and COD, but since LEGO is already producing Marvel and DC sets, I suppose they thought it wouldn't hurt to put a few Guardians of the Galaxy kits into their lineup.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I think TLG has already been testing the waters a bit with the homages found in Space Police III and the CMF series. Now they've thrown us a huge bone with the LEGO Movie (I am buying several sets of Benny's spaceshipSpaceshipSPACESHIP). Hopefully the sales numbers will give TLG the incentive to revisit CS and other related themes such as Blacktron, Spyrius, M-Tron, Ice Planet, and Futuron.

I do feel that TLG missed an opportunity to tie Galaxy Squad to an existing theme (like they did in SPIII). But if anything, AFOLs love to use their imaginations to bring all the themes together.

I would love a NCS theme. Only time will tell if TLG feels that it is in their best interest do make one.

I too grew up with classic space so that would be cool to bring back the older stuff. Having said that, I think it's important for TLG to try and push new ideas within a theme, they need to try things out. If it weren't for their innovation and risk taking, we would never have a space theme in the first place.

I think a good analogy would be a music artist trying out different things with every new album, sure people might miss the old stuff, but the artist needs to try and discover new things, that way they can accomplish a lot in different areas and they can have fans admiring different phases of their work. I see the same thing with TLG.

Having said all that they should pay attention to what their customers want, to an extent. I suppose maybe comes down to cost benefit analysis...

I wouldn't mind a Futuretron reboot, maybe work it out so that you the future folks would be the Hub of a colony, IE central base piece, or a monorail set ;) and have space ports with the other sub themes. And maybe a freighter or two, make it blacktron, throw in a space police 3 ship, and some figs for patrols, throw in a different colored space marine ship and some guys, an explorien transport, some ice planet guys hauling cargo, I dont know, might be kinda cool. Just a "Remember when" sets, but make it multi tiered, future folks as the center piece, and each wing, or section, could be devoted to the classic space themes with a bit of an overhaul to the figures.

The space police 3 line introduced us to a new blacktron torso. I dont know, just shooting ideas out.

I'm annoyed that the movie Space Ship won't be out until June or whatever. That's a great way to sabotage sales. I guess they need something to promote the DVD though.

If we're lucky the Exosuit will come out at the same time and there will be a mini Classic Space revival.

I'm annoyed that the movie Space Ship won't be out until June or whatever. That's a great way to sabotage sales. I guess they need something to promote the DVD though.

If we're lucky the Exosuit will come out at the same time and there will be a mini Classic Space revival.

Yeah, do we know approximately when that Cuusoo set comes out?

I swear, though, if the include a Galaxy Squad figure or something instead of a CS fig... :(

I'd be happy with a Classic-space themed creator set. Something with enough parts to build a spaceship, space base and ground vehicle that included a number of newer trans-yellow, trans-dark blue canopies, newer slopes & wedges with PRINTED classic space logos and other theme decorative parts, etc. Throw in a classic space style landing plate and/or crater plate and that would be great. Just give me the parts to create some cool new MOCs without having to scour bricklink....

One of the things I miss about CS is the fact that alternate models built with just the pieces in the box were prominently featured on the set packaging. Alternate models seems to be a lost concept except with the creator line (and the new movie sets).

Yeah, do we know approximately when that Cuusoo set comes out?

I swear, though, if the include a Galaxy Squad figure or something instead of a CS fig... :(

Which Cuusoo set do you mean? This one?

thumb640x360.jpg

It's a nice design, but I miss the WOW factor. Benny's spaceship for example has more tubes and thingies that makes it a real spaceship...