Moebius118

(LDD) Octanship Octanship Octanship!

The moment I saw it in the movie, I knew I wanted to build one. Some way, some how, it would happen. Thanks to TheNerdyOne here at EB, I now have a shot.

After a frame by frame analysis of the Octan delivery ship portion of people's Youtube videos of the TLM video game, I can safely say I have completed a very very close rendition of it in LDD. I did not have to get creative or improvise much.

12824785715_4168a9b3cc_c.jpg

I'm still a novice at LDD so I encountered a couple things I couldn't represent entirely or accurately.

(For anyone also building this ship/truck)

The rear cylindrical section of the engines were a piece I could not identify. My theory is that they used a tire piece.

The fence piece below the cargo hold is not visible due to the video game version using an illegal connection.

The cargo hold walls were actually best represented with window sections painted white.

The side headlamps are suspended due to the clip and slope right above it forming a collision. Horizontal clips were removed.

I couldn't remove the top of the turntable plate used to create the ventilation ports visible on the sides. as well as inside the cargo hold.

The elbow pipe sections between the cabin and cargo are not properly connected. I could not identify the piece they used.

All that being considered, it was still a very fun build from deciphering what was mostly a blur in the gameplay videos. I do not own a copy of it yet.

Now I'm off to the physical build, but I know it will look drastically different from the LDD version due to all the parts they used that simply don't exist.

I tried to create a possible real version mockup to the right.

14054389446_1c414b6072_c.jpg

Also added some lights and antenna because at the end of the day I thought it was still a truck.

And here's the LXF download: octanshipmoviever.lxf

Thanks everyone,

Edited by Moebius118

Very nice, can't wait to see it built in real life! Any chance we could get a download link?

Yes I'll see if i can add the download to the post when I get home from work today. I can also send it to you directly if you want.

I should have done that to begin with. Chances are you guys would do better at solving those issues than I did.

Edited by Moebius118

Added the LXF to original post for all you wonderful Eurobrickers. Please let me know if you develop better versions, I am still working on the physical build but the movie version is not being friendly!

Great work. I think the part you may be looking for for the rear is one of those construction mixer parts, but not having studied the model, I can't say so for sure.

Anybody got a screendump of the original ship from the movie or the game so i can put any labels and logo's on it?

Nice model BTW!

Thanks everyone! The purchasing stage is completed for the physical model. Just got to wait for the packages now. I'm not proud of how much this project is going to cost me though.

Anybody got a screendump of the original ship from the movie or the game so i can put any labels and logo's on it?

Nice model BTW!

That would prove really useful for me as well. I have Octan stickers ready but I would like mine to represent as close to the movie decals as possible. Unfortunately I have not seen any images of the truck in the movie and the version in the videogame is without logos. :sad:

Edited by Moebius118

Hi everyone,

9 weeks later, I finally have a physical model up.

14097541823_04e7cb7576_z.jpg

Some afterthoughts,

Model is fragile, heavy and features an expensive part count even for the smaller video game version.

Now it is not so surprising that Lego did not select this to be made into an actual set.

Had to provide my own solutions for the headlamps and tubing between the cabin and cargo hold, amongst other things.

14074335462_889057f4e0_z.jpg

Size comparison to another common Octan vehicle 60016.

Overall I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

14097540643_4fff06eca9_z.jpg

And I wasn't calling it Project Octanship Octanship Octanship without a good reason.

Edited by Moebius118

This is amazing! I've been wanting the Octanship as a set since I saw the movie, and you have THREE I'm so jealous!

Is it possible that you could update the LDD File with the changes and improvises you made? I'd love to just grab a parts list from there, and if the other one isn't as stable and has pieces that don't exist much like your post said, I don't want to be hunting for parts that I'll never find :X

Xayir, I will upload the latest LDD tonight. It should be existing parts friendly. The final product is still pretty fragile but only slightly more than the SSP Dropship that just came in.

I was disappointed I couldn't match the color scheme from movie, but this was as close as my creativity would allow.

Thanks for the interest,

And here it is.

octanshipmoebiusver.lxf

The new rear doors require a little bit of finesse, I designed it according to the video game but there was a collision error that made me improvise to a structurally less sound composition.

Final model will lean slightly to the rear.

Edited by Moebius118

Guys the links seem dead. Does anyone have a mirror or the file we can rehost. I'm late to the party but need this in my life

Awesome recreation build and thanks for getting the LXF up again! :downloaded: I too wanted to build this from the movie as it plays a pivotal role as one of Emmet's 'bad ideas' of following the instructions yet aides in the infiltration of Octan tower. Great work. 

octanshipmoviever.gif

A moving GIF for those who do not have LDD or the bricks for a physical model.

Edited by JunkstyleGio