LegendsOfNinjago

Lego Ninjago Movie

But why start a topic with nothing to add? It would have been better to have something to report like a release date or trailer.

Al of have heard about it is when they said they would be doing one because Chima failed and The Lego Movie trailer got lots of great feedback.

Actually, there already is a topic for this, which was posted a while back. Could someone please merge these two?

Al of have heard about it is when they said they would be doing one because Chima failed and The Lego Movie trailer got lots of great feedback.

Chima failed? When did I miss that? :wink:

That user is very, very, VERY misinformed...

Chima is doing about as well as it would if it didn't have a TV show, but it appears that it's starting to rise in popularity.

But, seeing as this is the Ninjago Movie thread...

With the recent news that the movie will depart from the main TV series, I feel less excited...

With the recent news that the movie will depart from the main TV series, I feel less excited...

When did we hear anything like that? I know that some early news reports made it sound like it would be an adaptation of the first story arc rather than a brand-new one, but that summary might have just been a placeholder.

What I do know about it is that the Hageman brothers, who worked on The LEGO Movie and subsequently have been the writers of the LEGO Ninjago TV series, are currently on board to write it, and Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Chris Miller, and Phil Lord are all going to be producing it. I don't know if the movie could be in more trustworthy hands than those.

I wonder when we'll start to hear more about it. Until then, there's not a whole lot more to talk about.

When did we hear anything like that? I know that some early news reports made it sound like it would be an adaptation of the first story arc rather than a brand-new one, but that summary might have just been a placeholder.

Brickipedia reported it, and I believe you linked to something earlier that mentioned that as well. Not quite sure.

I wonder when we'll start to hear more about it. Until then, there's not a whole lot more to talk about.

That will be a very exciting day... there will be fanboy screams from many of us, I believe.

Failed is probably much to strong a term to use regarding Chima. It's probably best characterized as "succesful, but not wildly over the top succesful the way Ninjago was". I think Chima hit the target demographic Ninjago was originally aiming for, but just didn't spread much beyond there. Whereas Ninjago caught fire in a few unexpected out of Demographic groups, like college age males, and just took off.

And it's that Unexpected demo that's driving interest in a Ninjago movie.

And of course the movie will most likely involve a re telling of the first story arc. They can't assume theater goers know 4 seasons worth of story. To do a continuation it would need to be a TV movie or straight to video release. A Big Budget Theatrical release will requiring re telling the beginning or starting over for the new audience.

Edited by Faefrost

I wonder what TLG will do for 2015 then?

We already have confirmation of new Ninjago episodes in 2015 from a Cartoon Network press release, and I expect there will be a full lineup of sets to accompany them. I don't know why anyone was expecting a Ninjago movie to come any sooner than 2016. Theatrical films can't be churned out as quickly as direct-to-DVD films or TV specials. The LEGO Movie's development began in 2008!

Failed is probably much to strong a term to use regarding Chima. It's probably best characterized as "succesful, but not wildly over the top succesful the way Ninjago was". I think Chima hit the target demographic Ninjago was originally aiming for, but just didn't spread much beyond there. Whereas Ninjago caught fire in a few unexpected out of Demographic groups, like college age males, and just took off.

And it's that Unexpected demo that's driving interest in a Ninjago movie.

And of course the movie will most likely involve a re telling of the first story arc. They can't assume theater goers know 4 seasons worth of story. To do a continuation it would need to be a TV movie or straight to video release. A Big Budget Theatrical release will requiring re telling the beginning or starting over for the new audience.

I don't think it's just the unexpected demographics that have driven Ninjago's success (though they are a factor — Dan and Kevin Hageman suggested in an interview that around 30% of the show's viewership is female, something I doubt the LEGO Group would have anticipated given their extremely boy-oriented marketing approach for the theme). As I understand it, Ninjago has been more successful than Chima even with its target demographic of 6– to 14-year-old boys. But at the same time, Ninjago was the LEGO Group's single most successful launch for a product line. Like, ever. Chima is definitely not a failure for falling short of that, and it already seems as though it will be successful enough to earn a third year of sets — bringing it to what is generally considered a fairly healthy lifespan for a single LEGO theme.

A teaser trailer thingy!

If the actual movie has the same self-parodying sense of humor as this teaser, I'm sold. (Thanks to Vector C. for showing this to me)

Edited by jamesster

HAHA thanks for sharing! That looks GREAT. Hoping this is on the TLM bonus features. But seriously now I'm sold. This'll be awesome.

Edited by Tolkien

A teaser trailer thingy!

If the actual movie has the same self-parodying sense of humor as this teaser, I'm sold. (Thanks to Vector C. for showing this to me)

Ha, that was funny! :grin:

I wonder if that is the logo in the beginning... looks pretty nice!

Edited by just2good

A teaser trailer thingy!

Eugh, I hope it doesn't. That'd pretty much destroy NINJAGO in so many people's opinions, because it strips away all of the depth of the original TV show. If this was the original Ninja line, fine, but making a parody of it like this is just over the top. Funny, yes. This would just ruin NINJAGO for me, in so many ways. Furthermore, it would also give the majority of people who hate NINJAGO and pay no attention to it an actual reason to think it's a stupid, over-the-top, ninja samurai robot mecha people versus four-armed snake mech overlord doom death thingies that spin around and eat pizza while nuking North Korea on a skateboard. While arguably NINJAGO could be described as that if you took a first glance at it, when you delve deeper it's the exact opposite. SOrt of like BIONICLE. If you took one glance at it having never seen it before you'd thing it's a bucn of ugly robot hero element giants versus ugly robot doomsday spirit island giants with brain parasite pets fighting over a massive giant robot they were living on the entire time, sort of like Cybertron in TRANSFORMERS.