Sign in to follow this  
Mosana

Little Wars

Little Wars Is a book written by H. G. Wells for "players in an inferior social position. It can be played by boys of every age from twelve to one hundred and fifty--and even later if the limbs remain sufficiently supple--by girls of the better sort, and by a few rare and gifted women." It is a set of excellent wargaming rules, and is available at http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext03/ltwrs11.txt.

Reading over this, I noticed that great emphasis is placed on the use of cannons that actually fire. Now, I have no firing cannons for my historical models, and, even if I did, I wouldn't want to fire things at them for fear of damaging them. I then realised that Lego is the perfect thing to use for this game. It makes cannons which fire, and Lego figures will hardly break if you hit one of them with a 1x1 cylinder!

So here is an unusual idea for Lego wargaming, and I hope to try it at some point. Also, here is a picture of the man himself enjoying a battle:

hgwellswh7.jpg

Thanx Mosana,

I printed it off and saved it onto my computer.

37 pages! holy cow that's a lot of rules.

May take a little while to read *pirate*

P

Finally, a game from a reputable designer. Are there any rules updates?

I think I have a new tag line: WarGaming! If it's good enough for H.G. Wells, Its good enough for me.

Finally, a game from a reputable designer. Are there any rules updates?

I think I have a new tag line: WarGaming! If it's good enough for H.G. Wells, Its good enough for me.

Interesting but wargaming has become so much more advanced since this... However this sounds like a great game for "weapons and warriors" if anyone remembers those things... I don't know if they made it outside of the states but you had figures and marble shooting balistas and cannons... it would be hard to play this game with lego asyou could not fully knock lego men over with cannons... so it would come down to a tedious game of shoot alot and capture....

but its neet to look at this piece of history. Thanks for the link!!! makes me want to write a paper on the history of wargaming...

I have been aware of this book for a little while, but I never knew that it was available as a download. I will be downloading those rules tonight

Little Wars; a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books.

X-D

This features in the Brikwars inspiration, or whatever - Brikwars does cater for firing weaponry, but to be honest, rules about when you can fire your cannons are incredibly annoying - it's so much more fun to fire as fast as possible, without precision-aiming. Little Wars is a game I have considered in the past, but Brikwars, IMO, is much more entertaining and expansive. Also, the language is more modern and the graphics superb.

So, if you want to fire guns, just fire, but if you want simulation, use Brikwars - there's little point in this game to me.

SlyOwl

If anybody wants my advice,

I think that brikwars is

just the perfect wargame for

Lego fans.

Specially the rules are not

as complicated as this.

BRIKWARS 4 EVER!

If anybody wants my advice,

I think that brikwars is

just the perfect wargame for

Lego fans.

Specially the rules are not

as complicated as this.

BRIKWARS 4 EVER!

You bumped a thread that's over 4 years old to say your game is better??? :wacko: Don't revive old topics unless you have something to add, please.