Sign in to follow this  
paul

Queens Day Amsterdam

Just returned from a trip to Amsterdam and wanted to say what a beautiful city she is.The buildings are fantastic and look like they were made for lego,it looked like there was a 'cafe corner' on every corner.The people are very welcoming and whilst we were there they celebrated their Queens Day,which is a huge public holiday and thousands of people take to the streets and canals having a great time drinking,dancing,some smoking some sweet smelling 'substances' *wacko* and generally having a good time.During the festival we didn't see any trouble at all which was amazing,I am sure that if this was in the UK there would have been riot vans on every corner.I know this isn't really a lego topic ,but I am sure that any town/city fan would love the building designs and I would recommend a trip there anytime.

Thank you for visiting my hometown, glad you enjoyed it.

When building my houses out of Lego I often get my inspiration out of the canal-houses and cafe-corner-like buildings.

Did you manage to find any Lego at "Koninginnedag" (Queens day) on the markets in the streets? I did but most of it was quite expensive and I left it as it was.

:-)

No,I did look for Lego but didn't find any so I had a few beers instead :-) ,I really envy you living in such a great place and thank you for such a great time ,all the Dutch people we met were very friendly and spoke English very well,I will learn a bit of Dutch before we go again .Another thing I noticed was the fantastic clean up after the events on the day,Dam square looked as if nothing had happened by the following evening.amazing.I will try and post some pictures up when I learn how to ,or if you have any you can post I would like to see them as there are so many different styles and interesting designs,they really are inspirational for lego mocs,once again cheers and who knows next year we could arrange a 'eurobricks' trip to Amsterdam?

It's really a shame I had to work on Queensday, I missed the flea markets...Then again, I also got paid double since it was a national holiday, so I've got even more money to spend now :-P

all the Dutch people we met were very friendly and spoke English very well,

I will learn a bit of Dutch before we go again .Another thing I noticed was the fantastic clean up after the events on the day,Dam square looked as if nothing had happened by the following evening.amazing.I will try and post some pictures up when I learn how to ,or if you have any you can post I would like to see them as there are so many different styles and interesting designs,they really are inspirational for lego mocs,once again cheers and who knows next year we could arrange a 'eurobricks' trip to Amsterdam?

Oh yes, we're friendly people out here :-P

I read in some newspaper the other day that the "refuse collection-squad" had picked up a stunning 600 cubic meters of trash off the streets in the city-centre alone (!!). That's a lot: the rubble cracked beneath my bicycle wheels when I made my way into the city centre that day.

Amsterdam is a very popular city these days so I'm sure that when you check Google-pictures you'll get plenty of results. I didn't take any pictures during queensday myself, but maybe those are on google too.

:-)