pcvando

REVIEW: 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Cammo, you asked for comparison pictures so here they are. Hope you don't mind too much Pcvando.

lego_004.jpg

lego_005.jpg

lego_006.jpg

lego_007.jpg

It's of similar length but the stern is much higher.

As for playability, compare the cabins of the Sea Cow with the Imperial Warship. The Imperial gives you about 9 x 14 bricks to play with, while the Sea Cow is only 6 x 10 (with the actual floor is only 6x6). The lower desk is even smaller. I doubt a child could easily get their hand in there

lego_008.jpg

lego_011.jpg

Lower Deck

lego_009.jpg

It's a nice set but it's not one of my favorites by a long shot, and I am suffering a bit from buyers remorse. Guess I'm not buying the stumpy proportions and the busyness of the steam punk look. It also lacks playability. The cabins are far too small to get your hand in to place figures, and I'm not sure that a kid could easily either. I'd say it's a piece for collecting and owning but not for playing.

That said, there are aspects that I like.

Additions: There's a good collection of extra models; the micro managers, the couch, Metalbeard

Sails: I actually like the sails. It wouldn't work for a pirate galleon, but for a ship that has a lot of small sails, like a full rigged or brig, it would work. The only problem is that they don't move much. There is slight pose-ability but I wish you could swing them out more

Design: While I think it's too busy, there are aspects and colour combinations that I would use elsewhere; for example the chandler design. In particular I like the steamboat funnel and firebox. I'd like to see a more realistic boat built around that design.

The question is though, why do you need convincing to buy this model? If you like it, get it. But if you're sitting on the fence and think that you need convincing, then I don't think this one is for you.

I don't like it.

It's nothing personal, you made a good job with your review. But I don't like the set, in fact I don't consider it a part of Pirates theme.

There are useful pieces and accessories, but for me the rest is useless.

I don't think I'm the only person with that opinion.

I would buy this set, but only for parts. It has everything wrong! Not even a realistic ship. They should have given metal beard a regular torso. Why a spaceman on a ship? And why with a broken helmet? And the ship would tip over in open sea, just like Vasa.

People still seem to not understand that the model is based off the LEGO Movie, it is supposed to look like that, of course it is weird looking from a pirate enthusiast's point of view.

People still seem to not understand that the model is based off the LEGO Movie, it is supposed to look like that, of course it is weird looking from a pirate enthusiast's point of view.

I understand it perfectly, but still the set sucks.

I would buy this set, but only for parts. It has everything wrong! Not even a realistic ship. They should have given metal beard a regular torso. Why a spaceman on a ship? And why with a broken helmet? And the ship would tip over in open sea, just like Vasa.

You clearly haven't watched the Lego Movie. The ship isn't supposed to be realistic. Why would Metalbeard have a regular torso? Benny has a broken helmet to make him look like a vintage "old" minifigure from Space.

Hey! Why stop there? Let's compare Benny's Spaceship to the closest thing we have in reality: the space shuttle. There's no way in hell Benny's ship would make it off the ground, much less reach escape velocity. It would melt! And don't even talk about reentry.

Shiver me timbers! Off topic. This be The Pirates forum. Well, if'n yer lookin' to compare the whimsical design of the beloved Sea Cow to any actual tall ship that's sailed the Seven Seas, then ye might be a few ounces short of a pint. Savvy?

Edited by Colossus

You do realize it's from a movie right? It's a weird bizarre imaginary fantasy ship from the movie. It's supposed to look like a kid started with a Lego Pirate ship and then ran amuck using his imagination to build the awesomest thing ever. The Spaceman is there because the Spaceman is on the ship in the movie. The same with the puking cat thing. The Spaceman having a broken helmet is part of the gag. He is a 1980's classic space man. Their helmets always used to crack there.

Love it or hate it, (honestly not my favorite set. Just too bizarre for my tastes. Especially at that price.) but at least take note of what it says on the box and where it comes from.

A nice and in depth review - thanks PCVANDO and for the comparison photos Israel.

If the look of this build does appeal, then by all means, buying it would be worthwhile.

As a constructed piratical set, by relative overall size to the IFS & QAR, it doesn't really look worth the asking price.

By part count it seems to be on the upper limits of fair, still coming under 10c US per piece.

If buying this set only for parts, it would be interesting to do a Bricklink comparison (sans minifigs) and see what was cheaper.

Edited by ummester

I've bought this set as an alternative for the imperial flagship (due to its insane prices, even used). Really like it. It looks "special" but in a good way :)

It looks more interesting than any other ship ever created by Lego IMHO.

Anyone here who has made one big ship out of two sets?

Many people link this Sea Cow to a pirate theme which is Wrong. The Sea Cow is a Fantasy creation for Lego Movie Series where all the Fantasy, unrealistic elements are united to make one giant Ship.

It supposed to look like a child just got a bunch of random sh*t together and made his own thing from his imagination.

Though I highly doubt there are any children making 2500 piece MOCs... Bennys spaceship, on the other hand, I can envision a child making. Not saying its a bad ship design, Benny's SSS is clearly professionally built but still captures the idea of a childs creativity.

I dont think the Sea Cow really does that. I think for most people this set isnt worth buying. If you want a pirate ship, better to wait for next years Pirates reboot.

If you want a Lego Movie set, get Benny's SSS, which is a good model. All the Lego Scifi fans love this thing to pieces, and children probably like it too. The Sea Cow is too expensive and parts intensive to be a true childs toy. This is clearly a set aimed at collectors, but its hard to say WHICH collectors.

Its not Pirate enough for the LEGO Pirates crowd, its not steampunk enough for the LEGO Steampunk crowd, and the AFOLs who collect LEGO Movie sets are probably going to skip over this one in favor of the smaller sets unless theyre OCD and have to have every single one to complete the collection.

And since its a 16+ model, being too hard for children, its hard to say who the target demographic of this set is. That, I think, is the sets main problem.

Edited by Massinissa

It supposed to look like a child just got a bunch of random sh*t together and made his own thing from his imagination.

Though I highly doubt there are any children making 2500 piece MOCs... Bennys spaceship, on the other hand, I can envision a child making. Not saying its a bad ship design, Benny's SSS is clearly professionally built but still captures the idea of a childs creativity.

I dont think the Sea Cow really does that. I think for most people this set isnt worth buying. If you want a pirate ship, better to wait for next years Pirates reboot.

If you want a Lego Movie set, get Benny's SSS, which is a good model. All the Lego Scifi fans love this thing to pieces, and children probably like it too. The Sea Cow is too expensive and parts intensive to be a true childs toy. This is clearly a set aimed at collectors, but its hard to say WHICH collectors.

Its not Pirate enough for the LEGO Pirates crowd, its not steampunk enough for the LEGO Steampunk crowd, and the AFOLs who collect LEGO Movie sets are probably going to skip over this one in favor of the smaller sets unless theyre OCD and have to have every single one to complete the collection.

And since its a 16+ model, being too hard for children, its hard to say who the target demographic of this set is. That, I think, is the sets main problem.

I think your rash judgements stem more from desire than actual critiques of the set. You can't justify the price tag to yourself (yet the part/price ratio is fantastic), and are transposing that confusion into erroneous statements about the set.

It is, hands down, the finest set the LEGO Group has produced this year. I too hesitated on pulling the trigger on this one, and scoffed at some of it's more fantastic elements. But it was certainly worth every penny, and then some.

It's an amazingly fun build to complete. I actually did it in a single sitting that lasted for about eight hours and resulted in some serious cramping, but I had a tonne of fun, hahaha.

It should, and likely does, appeal to any LEGO fan who enjoys the building process. It features such a wide array of techniques that I believe it to be almost entirely unique in LEGO's offerings as an excellent 'tutor' to newer fans. The end product is a solid structure one can actually pick up and manipulate without concern for it's integrity (unlike other large LEGO ships I've had over the years).

Benny's Spaceship is an equally fantastic model, but they're two entirely unique experiences. I'd honestly suggest the both to any LEGO fan, as one can't possibly be offered as a 'substitute' for the other.

Seriously, pick this one up. It's worth the time and money you'll invest. :D

I think your rash judgements stem more from desire than actual critiques of the set. You can't justify the price tag to yourself (yet the part/price ratio is fantastic), and are transposing that confusion into erroneous statements about the set.

It is, hands down, the finest set the LEGO Group has produced this year. I too hesitated on pulling the trigger on this one, and scoffed at some of it's more fantastic elements. But it was certainly worth every penny, and then some.

It's an amazingly fun build to complete. I actually did it in a single sitting that lasted for about eight hours and resulted in some serious cramping, but I had a tonne of fun, hahaha.

It should, and likely does, appeal to any LEGO fan who enjoys the building process. It features such a wide array of techniques that I believe it to be almost entirely unique in LEGO's offerings as an excellent 'tutor' to newer fans. The end product is a solid structure one can actually pick up and manipulate without concern for it's integrity (unlike other large LEGO ships I've had over the years).

Benny's Spaceship is an equally fantastic model, but they're two entirely unique experiences. I'd honestly suggest the both to any LEGO fan, as one can't possibly be offered as a 'substitute' for the other.

Seriously, pick this one up. It's worth the time and money you'll invest. :D

About the integrity, which ships are you referring to? Is the Imperial Flagship bad integrity or something? Because im not a Pirates fan and dont know of any other big ships, other than the PotC ones. Or are those the ones youre referring to?

About the integrity, which ships are you referring to? Is the Imperial Flagship bad integrity or something? Because im not a Pirates fan and dont know of any other big ships, other than the PotC ones. Or are those the ones youre referring to?

By 'integrity' I mean that you don't have to worry about having grab it carefully lest the structure come apart. LEGO ships I've had in the past weren't near this robust. It's a solid stucture that you can actively 'play' with. If I had kids, I'd have no concerns with allowing them to play with it. :D

The sea cow is a fantasy made from the Lego Movie and not a true pirate ship. It has it's own unique features as a Lego Movie. I would even prefer it on Benny's SS.

The review is great, but the set itself... I understand what their intentions were (although I haven't seen the movie yet, but planning to do so eventually) and they probably succeeded in what they were trying to accomplish. Actually this reminds me of a pumped up version of the old Flying Time Vessel - remember that one? :) Both were equally crazy. Neither is really a Pirate set but both are kind of appealing to Pirate fans. And while I did get the time vessel, as it had a unique hull and was obviously much more affordable, I will not be getting this one. I completely understand why some people might find it a great set, but to me it's just a giant parts pack, where most of the parts I care about I either already have or can get somewhere else.

Edited by Dreamweb

To be honest, I just wanted a huge Lego pirate ship, but I don't really like movies such as "The Lego Movie"..

I think the Sea Cow is one of the coolest sets available and I totally like the style of it, but the "Metal Beard" character doesn't do anything for me, sadly enough..

I decided to mod the ship a little bit so it would be "minifig scale" on top. I decided not to add any other bricks from any other sets, and here is the result i came up with. (Fyi, Metal Beard is still intact, and I haven't bothered to put the couch and black robots together)

hs3t4n.jpg

msj7fk.jpg

20famu9.jpg

30v1vz9.jpg

Thank you for the review. That set keeps looking better and better, though I don't really need the parts and its over the price of even a birthday or Christmas present

Wow, I have not been on Euro bricks for a few weeks because I’ve been so busy, and when I get back, I see that my post has turned into a warzone! pirate_laugh2.gif

I’m glad my post has stirred up such fierce emotions.

Look guys, either you love it or you hate it. It’s a personal preference. It does not exactly fall under the "Pirate" theme, however I think it’s a neat set on its own.

Whether its worth the price or not depends on the individual. The actual Price-Per-Piece is not too bad, but some may feel that dropping $299.99 CAD may seem too steep for this set.

Either way, I like it, its unique, and has been very fun.

…and for god’s sake, its not supposed to be realistic! pirate_laugh_new.gif

-PCVANDO

instruction book is thick! I have no confidence to complete. Even I want.

They really mean "Instruction BOOK" Haha!

/\ Let me test my Japanese...

ありがとうございます pirate_laugh_new.gif

Edited by pcvando