DaddyD

New train engines are too powerful

New member here. I apologize if this question has been posted before, but I couldn't find any way to search the forums, and after scanning several pages without success, I decided to post.

I have old-style gray track from when my kids were young, 20+ years ago. I still have the engine and cars from the original kit, but the battery pack (3 C batteries in a custom car) got corroded beyond repair when the trains were put away with the batteries still in it.

So I bought a new model engine and battery pack (6 AAA batteries). Only one problem ... it goes too fast. It tips over on any curve. I've tried slowing it down by attaching cars that are weighted down, but it still accelerates enough to derail every time. It seems to work a bit better if I put the engine at the end and have it push the train, but that's still too fast.

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you are running twice the required voltage for the engine...

Old train motors need 4,5V, you are running them on 9,0V.

Hey Daddy. The search box is in the top right of the screen ;-)

It sounds like you're missing the speed controller. The rechargeable battery box has a speed control built in but it means you set the speed and let go of the train.

The typical thing to do for Power Function trains is to include the receiver:

58123bc01.jpg?1

[link]

Then you use the remote control to control the speed of your train:

64227.jpg?1

[link]

I swear the search box wasn't there when I first looked ... :classic:

You're right. I didn't buy the speed controller or the remote since it wasn't needed with my old stuff. Guess I'll have to spring for it.

Sounds to me like you are running twice the required voltage for the engine...

Old train motors need 4,5V, you are running them on 9,0V.

Thomas already mentioned it.

If you had 3 C batteries, that was 4,5V

Now you have 9V

There are 2 options if you want to use LEGO parts and nothing aftermarket.

1. search on ebay/bricklink etc for an original battery holder

2. switch completely to PF for which you will have to do some modifications to the engine and carriages to make it all work, but it can certainly be done and will cost you around 40€

Yes this works like a dream, this one is powered (and controlled) in exactly this way...

Edited by dundarach

You can easily replace your old 4.5V battery boxes via Bricklink, they are most of the time very cheap.

You may also want to wire a Power Functions IR unit in between the motor and battery box then you can control the old 4.5V engines speed the same as you can the modern Power Functions ones with the normal train remote control. I have a couple of engines built around the old 4.5V system that I have done this to. It is just easier to control nthe speed that way. The IR Unit works perfectly well with 4.5V the same as it does with 9V.

You should be able to find the wiring instructions in these pages or also on Brickshelf and the procedure is easy enough once you have a diagram. The only thing I would say is to get a small Ower Functions extension cable and cut the that in half to conect to the 4.5V motor and the other end to the battery box. The small extension cables are a lot cheaper than the IR Units so cutting one of them is not such a big deal.

This is how I modernised my 4.5 volt trains..

http://www.eurobrick...hl=rechargeable

There is also an option for "C" adapters for the AA rechargeable batteries. The AA battery slides in and fits in battery box meant for C size. It doesn't involve modifying the 4.5V battery boxes. Eneloop sells a kit.

Picture6546.jpg

Dr spook go careful with that, not saying you're wrong here, however I tried that and aa are a little bit longer than c and wouldn't fit in the tender box above....

They might in the verticle tenders with the switch on the side, however didn't fit in the box type.

Mind you mine weren't as fancy as the above, but the aa battery itself was taller than a c type.