DrJB

Is Lego cheaper in the Netherlands?

Every time I search for specific parts (or sets) on Bricklink, the cheapest are always from the Netherlands. A seller has the 42009 listed for $170.00 ... Is this a simple coincidence, supply vs. demand, ... or they simply get it cheaper than the rest of us ... Seems to me, if you're a Lego addict (and not want to break the bank), the Netherlands is the place to be ...

Edited by DrJB

I'm not sure if LEGO is cheaper in the Netherlands, but based on sales of my instructions I can say that there appear to be more active Technic fans in the Netherlands than anywhere else. From that point of view, it makes sense that Technic parts would be more prevalent and therefore cheaper there. I don't think you would find the same true of "other" LEGO parts.

Cheaper in the Netherlands?! No way, in Germany it is a lot cheaper. 2% VAT, but also sets are a lot cheaper. I get most LEGO from Germany and live 120km from the border (that is considerable for European standards ;)) So I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Even the LEGO store already: German price for the Maersk ship 129,99€, Dutch store price 139,99 (and that is the case with almost any set).

Looks like I need to schedule a 'business' trip to Berlin ... I know of a Toys-R-Us store there (got my 8421 from there), but have not seen a Lego Store ...

I know in Hanover Lego was rather expensive ... but that was in the premium stores by the downtown Banhoff (train station).

Edited by DrJB

The store where I always get my lego had the unimog for 150 euro while in other strores it costet 170 euro. Both stores are about 40 km apart from eachother (still in the netherlands for both).

So it also makes a difference to which store you go.

There is a LEGO Store in Berlin. Just look it up on the TLG homepage. Be careful, don't be mistaken - there is also a LEGOLAND Discovery Center in the Sony Center.

The store where I always get my lego had the unimog for 150 euro while in other strores it costet 170 euro. Both stores are about 40 km apart from eachother (still in the netherlands for both).

We do not see such price difference in the US, across different vendors. Here, there are primarily 3/4 stores that carry the large Technic Sets (Lego, Amazon, Toys-R-Us, and sometimes Target) ... and all but TRU sell at the same price as TLG ...

In Europe you do not need to go to such specialized stores to find Technic like you do in the USA. In Germany, you can buy Technic at roadside gas stations.

Blakbird exagerates a bit, but it is hard to find a LEGO offering toy store without any technic sets.

I just got back from Germany. Between Munich and Salzburg on the autobahn I stopped at a rest area for fuel and they had small Technic sets by the cash register.

I am only 1.5km from the lego shop in Glasgow.

It is well stocked with currant techinc,NXT,and the whole range of power function parts.

In Europe you do not need to go to such specialized stores to find Technic like you do in the USA. In Germany, you can buy Technic at roadside gas stations.

I saw that as well at a rest stop in between Hanover and Hamburg, though primarily small sets. Now, I have also been to some toy stores in Italy, and prices were rather high ...

I now that the 42009 where sold for €100,25 incl Vat at the Makro in the Netherlands.

They had to many christmas stock and sold it out for a bottem price.

I now that the 42009 where sold for €100,25 incl Vat at the Makro in the Netherlands.

Dang! Why didnt i know that!

That is the same price I bought it for in Metro Austria in december, so I think they can go even lower and still make profit.

Where's "Metro Austria", please ? I'm going quite frequently through Vienna so I would like to take a look.

Well they have stores all over Austria but none in Vienna and you need to have their card to enter since it is a "Cash and Carry" store.

I agree with JopieK: Germany is less expensive for new sets. But I think there are quite a lot Bricklink stores located in the Netherlands, taken in account the size of the country. And that drives down the prices of the parts.

It's helps also that every child from the 60 till now is grow up with lego and whe have the highest parts ore sets per child in the world.

Lego is cheaper in The Netherlands (than in most of the other countries), when you don't buy it in toy stores. There are many online shops (who will probably buy Lego in Germany) who sell sets for very reasonable prizes. In my opinions we are in one of the top countries when it comes to the availability and pricing of Lego sets! *joy* :thumbup:

I hardly ever buy Lego in a regular Toy Store or Retail Store.

Germany is even better, but we can't complain!!

I also hardly ever buy sets in the stores. It helps a lot the we in Europe have like 5 different Amazon's and they all ship, cheaply or for free, to all other country's in Europe. Just keep an eye out for good prices and you are guaranteed to pay 30% or even more under the official Lego retail price...

@Large88: True!

So maybe it's not really fair to compare prizes, when we are getting Lego from another country. But still, Lego is widely available in The Netherlands for decent prizes, if you know how to use the proper channels.

Judging by bricklink prices, it seems that Germany and some east european countries like Romania and Bulgaria have the lowest prices. I buy almost all my Lego sets from bricklink. Even with a 30 euro shipping fee, it's usually cheaper than anywhere in Sweden. Scandinavian countries must have the highest Lego prices in Europe, probably because of our strong currencies. It's often twice the US prices.

guess the proper word is less expensive...

Then again Netherlands is big compared to size in Lego sales. There is a lot of competition and that influences the pricelevel.