afol1969

Afol1969's Building Instructions Thread

Hi all,

As promised, I've uploaded the Instructions from Nico71's Braiding Machine.

braiding_machine.png

It's a first release, but ready for building. It's a motorized version. It contains minimal modifications, for ex. beams with different length which do not stress the panel construction, other plates, some different parts....Some few errors were in the Cad file, I'd to redraw the chain guides to get the correct number of chain links, and a Pin in the reversing link was in wrong place. But for such a complex construction blakbird has made a perfect work in short time, a CAD file helps a lot to create instructions. But it was still a lot of work which needed much concentration.

I've not tested the braiding mechanism, because I've not the right strings for braiding. I've tried with knitting wool, but it was to thick for correct working.

I've not the time for a test now, I go to the holidays in some days. But I'll upload a second version later, with additional photos and explanations. Who wants to build it, do it, and test it! Maybe someone finds an error in the instructions where I can make the correction before presenting the updated Instructions.

NOTE 12.01.2016 : The instructions are now for download on Nico71's web site.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Thanks afol1969. Great work, as always. :classic:

I did found a little weird thing in the instructions: on page 12 you add the bottom of a turntable and the top is attached on page 21/22/23. However, people generally don't have seperated turntable parts. To fix this, you need to add both bottom and top on page 12 and then on page 23 you add the blue beams from the subpart made on pages 21/22 without the turntable part and you attach the submodel using the 4 lbg pins on page 23.

Other than that, I haven't found any errors. Nice work! :thumbup:

As promised, I've uploaded the Instructions from Nico71's Braiding Machine.

I've not tested the braiding mechanism, because I've not the right strings for braiding. I've tried with knitting wool, but it was to thick for correct working.

I've not the time for a test now, I go to the holidays in some days. But I'll upload a second version later, with additional photos and explanations. Who wants to build it, do it, and test it! Maybe someone finds an error in the instructions where I can make the correction before presenting the updated Instructions.

Thanks for doing this! I know how much work it must have been.

Can you give me any information on which parts you found stressed and therefore changed? My model is already built and it went together rather well. I can confirm that it braids threads wonderfully. I have made at least 100 feet of cord so far. I also used an XL motor with mine, but I ran it from a train regulator. The model has quite a bit of friction so it takes a lot of torque and runs for a long time, so an external power source is a good idea.

I did found a little weird thing in the instructions: on page 12 you add the bottom of a turntable and the top is attached on page 21/22/23. However, people generally don't have seperated turntable parts. To fix this, you need to add both bottom and top on page 12 and then on page 23 you add the blue beams from the subpart made on pages 21/22 without the turntable part and you attach the submodel using the 4 lbg pins on page 23.

Building the model with the turntable separated is definitely the best way to do it. It is not hard to take the turntable apart and it makes the build much easier. The bottom of the turntable has to go in early because it fits over axles in the middle of the model. Using a separate top allows you to build the cord guide as a subassembly instead of in place on the main model.

Building the model with the turntable separated is definitely the best way to do it. It is not hard to take the turntable apart and it makes the build much easier. The bottom of the turntable has to go in early because it fits over axles in the middle of the model. Using a separate top allows you to build the cord guide as a subassembly instead of in place on the main model.

I don't agree. :grin:

As I explained in my post, it is easily possible to build the model without seperating the turntable parts. And, maintaining the blue submodel. Take a look at that blue submodel and you'll notice the 4 LBG pins. Now imagine that the submodel consisted of everything except the turntable part, you would only need to place the submodel over the turntable on the main model and push the 4 pins. I don't see how seperating a turntable could be easier than pusing 4 pins?

Hi legolijntje,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've found a complete turntable in the part list (50163.dat). I've already made the change in the CAD file, and I' upload the upgraded PDF file soon. By the way, I agree to blakbirds statement, a use of two separate turntable parts allows to create individual angles for connected constructions. But it's possible too to take right angles for the construction without problems.

For building, I used the complete turntables, an I fixed the winding guide easily with the 4 stop pins on the turntable support

@blakbird: You can download the CAD file, and take a look at side panel beams in ~45° angles, you see the difference that the pins fit exactly in the CAD model. They hold the construction in exact right angles, but I had to modify the drum front rollers a half stud length, for that the drum fits correctly on the frame.

In general, in most case I find some few things that can be modified. For example to make the construction more stable. For the thread spools I used shorter axles with additional axle connectors, because the longer axles bent too much under the drum weight.

Greetings

Alex

Edit: Drum driving tested and all ok, corrections in the instructions are made. Final instructions uploaded on 4 march 2015, modified with a train regulator as blakbird suggested.

Edited by afol1969

I have built the 8043 and the extended boom with your instructions and found both to be of superb quality. Thank you for your hard work.

Thanks for your kind words :classic:

Although the instructions have good quality, I can do it better, I always learn new features from MLCAD. So you can surely see the difference comparing the first and recent instructions.

The hardest challenge is working with Lsynth and placing angles/rotation points, sometimes there are MOCs with rather weird part angles *huh* .

At the moment I work on several instruction on same time, as are:

- Annihilator

- Nico71's hot bulb Tractors (the two models)

- gergers' GMK6400 mobile crane

- Sheos' Mining excavator (review)

In most cases I create the instructions from complete complete CAD files (many thanks to Blakbird :thumbup: ) or photo instructions.

Greetings

Alex

[...]

The hardest challenge is working with Lsynth and placing angles/rotation points, sometimes there are MOCs with rather weird part angles *huh* .

[...]

Please, don't talke about strange angles. I've had enough of them in the McLaren :sick::tongue:

Alex, i very very much appreciate your efforts!

which annihilator do you mean? This one?

Thread: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=23930

If yes: great! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wub: :wub:

Yes, it is :wink: . But I'd to stop the project until I've all the parts to build it, because it's really not easy to get the right step order. So I've to build it while creating the instructions. But I've created the complete part list, with rubber belts, fiber cables etc.

And: How will it look if I mix with old grey with light bluish grey? :look:

Please, don't talk about strange angles. I've had enough of them in the McLaren :sick::tongue:

I've seen it and I can imagine what a horrible work it was. My respect on your patience :thumbup:

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Happy new year all together :classic:

As I noticed that some people seem to have problems to find the Grove GMK6400 instructions, I post the links again in this thread.

gerger_grove_gmk.jpg

Instructions: http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/GMK6400_1.2.pdf

LDRAW file: http://www.bricksafe...ons/GMK6400.mpd

There are 3 separate part lists: carrier, superstructure, and the RC unit.

Note: in the superstructure part list there's a part in LG, which should be LBG of course. (Corrected, new file online)

Next time I'll make some boom lift tests with the Firgell actuator. If there will be successful, I'll include the modification in the instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Hi all,

I've now the final instructions from the Grove6400 MK3 crane with Firgelli actuators, some errors had to be corrected.

gmk6400-mk3_firgelli.jpg

Instructions:

http://bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/Grove6400-MKIII_1.1.7z

mpd file:

http://bricksafe.com...k3_Firgelli.mpd

Due to the big file size and the 300dpi resolution I had to compress the file, bricksafe only allows a file size limit to 100MB.

What is interesting: You can first decrease the PDF file by just moving to this page, it's free: http://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

I could reduce the size from 270MB to 140MB!

Then I used 7-zip to compress the file, it's now only 83MB.

The 4-channel RC Unit can be downloaded here: http://bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/RC-Unit.pdf

rc-unit.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Hi Alex,

Thanks again for the hard work!

I have one question though: what is the easiest way to find out how to build this version with the regular LEGO actuators?

Probably I can find it out myself but I guess you know it rightaway ;-)

greetings,

Theo

New instructions :classic:

The pneumatic hot bulb tractor from Nico71:

hot_bulb_tractor.jpg

It needed much time for testing and modifying the pneumatic cylinder and switch, the necessary notes you'll find in the instructions.

To adjust the ignition point isn't easy, but once made, the tractor moved forward.

For driving I used an hand air pump based on Nico71's creation, I have made a stiffer construction combined with an air tank to reach the pressure it needs.

air_pump.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Thanks Alex for all your work!

No I don't have any excuses to not build this great MOC!

But I have some problems opening the .zip and .z01 files using 7Zip.

They are not recognized as compressed files.

Am I doing something wrong?

Try with WinRar or Winzip. That must work. I don't know why they don't open with 7Zip. I've packed them with 7Zip, but in Zip format, because I'd to divide the files in 2 parts. Bricksafe only allows files max. 100MB.

Edit: Not open the .zip file, but the .z01 file. Then it works.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Thanks Alex for all your work!

No I don't have any excuses to not build this great MOC!

Bandizip works too (I can recommend Bandizip in general too, nice piece of software).

Anyway, make sure that both the zip file and the z01 file are located in the same folder. Then open the zip file. It's a split zip file, so you need both parts together.

Hi all,

New instructions!

The Palfinger loader crane from Makus53.

Full pneumatic functions, in manual or motorized (Micro Motor) Version.

palfinger_crane.png

Instructions download here:

http://www.bricksafe...inger Crane.pdf

LDRAW files:

http://www.bricksafe...s/kranmotor.mpd

http://www.bricksafe...ctions/kran.mpd

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Where is this crane put on?

On the Unimog or Arocs

:wall::facepalm:

Next Instruction Project: Markus53's compact folding pneumatic crane for Unimog

Also take a look at the last page of the "instruction file".

Edited by Alasdair Ryan