cmwcampbell

[MOC WIP] Buffalo Central Terminal train station

Hi all,

Here's my first major MOC, the first-ever LEGO interpretation of the Buffalo Central Terminal train station in Buffalo, NY, USA. Built by the NY Central RR in the 1920s, the Terminal operated for about 50 years before closing and falling into disrepair since 1979. A recent effort to restore the glorious Terminal has been quite successful.

My dad is a retired Amtrak employee and worked at the Terminal for a few years before it closed. It's a landmark in Buffalo and revered by my brothers and I, so it was a no-brainer to make it the centerpiece of my layout when I started building out early last year.

As you can see I've got quite a bit left to build, but since the project is the focus of an article on io9.com this morning I thought it's time to share with this forum. Comments and suggestions welcomed!

http://io9.com/this-all-lego-train-depot-proves-that-everything-really-1526340252

https://plus.google.com/photos/110267813062037794583/albums/5982163613195835009

Best,

Chris

post-47851-0-69050300-1392913320_thumb.jpg

That thing is huge! Just wow! Looking forward to more. I'm speachless (and that doesn't happen often)

Andy D

Thanks guys! It's been a (mostly) fun build. I'll keep updating as the build progress. The mail building is nearly done, thants the long one with the sliding doors. There's also a Town Hall-inspired working elevator, a convenience store and all kinds of other details to show off once its more "presentable." :blush:

Here are a few updates...had to expand the platform & concourse area to accommodate 9 tracks. Enjoy!

I cant seem to upload any new photos, so here's the link to the public album:

https://www.flickr.c...57641971373654/

Edit: photos

mATKCTK.jpg

6nonnyu.jpg

3X8tAaG.jpg

A15ShvA.jpg

rpkQHAe.jpg

The original platforms with a POC entry ramp and stairs from the train concourse

jFrAyth.jpg

Edited by cmwcampbell

WoW!! Great! What a wonderful project. And what perseverance!!!!

And this picture (forgive me,cmvcambell)???

2013-12-28_09.25.20.jpg

Who's more beautiful??? Well, I'he already a Lego fan son, so let me know you that I prefer your building!!!

Wow what a beaty!

This tower is huge!

Now you need trains!!! ;-)

Ah yes...all the official sets are boxed up at the moment but I have a fleet of vintage Amtrak engines and rolling stock on the drawing board.

WoW!! Great! What a wonderful project. And what perseverance!!!!

And this picture (forgive me,cmvcambell)???

2013-12-28_09.25.20.jpg

Who's more beautiful??? Well, I'he already a Lego fan son, so let me know you that I prefer your building!!!

Yeah, she's my little "helper" :)

Mind. Blown.

That is a beast of a building. Congratulations!

Thanks! Thing keeps getting bigger. Gonna run out of basement soon!

This is AWESOME!!! The first time I saw that building, I thought it would make an amazing Lego project - really stoked to see someone tackle it so well! Congrats!

Edited by Chorduroy

Last weekend's project: Expand the table, demolish the existing 8-wide platforms and 6 tracks to expand to 10-wide platforms and 9 tracks (8 through the terminal and one bypass).

6Y3EImE.jpg

Edited by cmwcampbell

WOW! Very nice to see all of the detail (the photos here are only a small taste of the flickr shots). And you have it right down to the giant toddler wandering the streets (that freaked me out last time I was in Buffalo, grin). In all seriousness though, I like the fact that you are also building in the details of the track work. You'll have fun dropping of the RPO cars and such. Also neat little tidbits in the background (phase 3 duplex sleeper? A nice looking steamer)

WOW! Very nice to see all of the detail (the photos here are only a small taste of the flickr shots). And you have it right down to the giant toddler wandering the streets (that freaked me out last time I was in Buffalo, grin). In all seriousness though, I like the fact that you are also building in the details of the track work. You'll have fun dropping of the RPO cars and such. Also neat little tidbits in the background (phase 3 duplex sleeper? A nice looking steamer)

Thanks Benn. Plans are on the board for a full 7-wide Phase 3 set...borrowed copiously from your Superliner designs, natch. The "blank" light bley is a POC of a 7-wide, 52-length shape and the Slumbercoach was an earlier mock-up too. Building a 7-wide F40PH is proving to be a major challenge, as Im sure you can relate. Havent yet figured how to mold the nose with the odd-number width.

xBU5Dmv.jpg

GgPuYVc.jpg

0HgwqkT.jpg

BUoo0ot.jpg

You even built the pointless arrow! I'm still partial to all of those phase 3 cars. Definitely keep the posts coming as you progress on your rolling stock. Meanwhile, that terminal is still fantastic.

Good morning, here's a progress update on the terminal and a first look at a WIP Amtrak Amfleet coach in classic Phase 3 livery. The coach is modeled after Shupp's excellent coach design with a few tweaks made possible by new 1x2 LBG curved slopes. The doors at each end required some exhaustive SNOT work and went thru many revisions before settling on the current version which I'm happy with. At 62 studs long and 8 wide it'll accommodate 19 minifig passengers and may require some longer terminal platforms :)

T9czzTe.jpg

As this is a WIP the interior, undercarriage, trucks and diaphragm are not finished. Also plan to add some realistic decals or stickers.

ExBYYwM.jpg

uKAvDzF.jpg

Meanwhile, here are some progress shots of the terminal platforms & concourse. Please excuse the numerous zip-lock bags and unfinished basement. It is a construction site after all!

LF5hpNK.jpg

x3ykg3q.jpg

dUkVhmT.jpg

txldmD8.jpg

I8ydgKD.jpg

0SBbpgk.jpg

3ujJDg6.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic, the car, the terminal, all of it. You have so many of the small details of the stations of this era down perfectly. The one problem that I see is that you need a larger basement (grin). Are you building the terminal in sections so that you could pull it out and bring it to a show? Or is this a permanent installation?

Even as a WIP this is awesome! The level of detail on the main building is fantastic - can't wait to see the work you've got in mind for the platforms.

Hello again! Lots of new stuff in this update, I've been working like mad to get this thing ready for its news media debut in a couple weeks (stay tuned for details), and here are the results. Enjoy!

More photos here: http://tinyurl.com/kvmx2p8

kRZygcg.jpg

iLuFoU7.jpg

02IPvJZ.jpg

iwRPqtC.jpg

HAIpJFd.jpg

8gRKmV7.jpg

rse83JA.jpg

Edited by cmwcampbell