Sign in to follow this  
Legodt

Paris Opera House in Modular Style (64 wide)

Inspired by the Paris Opera at Palais Garnier

Completed in February 2014, this project took about 4.5 months to design & build. There are over 12,000 LEGO parts. This is my first, truly original design and creation. Also this is my first attempt at an original, Modular-like creation. It is 64 studs wide by 60 studs in deep.

As an opera fanatic and an admirer of French architecture, this project was inspired by a copy of a painting in our home by Jean Beraud: "Le Couloir de l' Opera." The Grand Staircase is beautifully portrayed and I wanted to create an ornate interior along with a detailed exterior finish.

Microsoft Excel was very handy in order to plot out the footprint, staircase height, tile designs, Fleur d' lis pattern, and more. I also relied on Google Maps 'streetview' and popular images of Palais Garnier for inspiration and guidance.

The proper scale of Palais Garnier would have required a LEGO structure about three times the size of this creation. I incorporated the dome and the hip roof elements into this version, although they would be much further back from the front facade. Also, the sides do not have protruding elements, so that this creation can be displayed along with other LEGO modular creations OR two smaller domes on the original Palais Garnier can be added as a separate project. This version does not include the front exterior stairs, not the lower level.

The grand piano on stage was copied from mijasper.

post-3683-0-03681200-1392885099_thumb.jpg post-3683-0-04902500-1392885238_thumb.jpg

More details at: http://www.ogelsbob.com/inspired-by-paris-opera-at-palais-garnier.html

12, 000+ bricks, 4.5 months of work. This looks like a real labor of love that definitely paid off. The staircase, the facade, the dome; everything you created is outstanding. This is a beautiful set. Thanks for sharing!

"My first attempt at an original, Modular-like creation"? Well, that's one heck of an attempt. Looks absolutely spectacular, with fleur de lis design and all, and it's impressive how close you've been able to get to the original. The interior is beautiful, too, especially that hall with the grand staircase and chandelier. Stunning. Well done!

Incredible job both inside and out. My favourite bit has to be the entrance hall but the whole thing is superb.

The word awesome is not enough......this creation is a thing of beauty.....I just love that grand piano :wub: ......Brick On 'Legodt' ! :grin:

This is a "Thing of beauty". So much detail and created in such a short time for such a build. I bet it ways a fair bit too. Thanks for sharing with us.

I wanted to make a joke and ask if it had an interior, never expected it to actually have one. This is front to back, top to bottom a work of art. Everything just clicks (no pun intended). The colours, the details even the minifigs who are all dressed for a night at the opera. If this isn't frontpaged I will eat a CMF plate.

I found this quote on your website:

I am not artistic nor particularly creative, but I do love to build and customize creations designed by others. I have nothing but awe and appreciation for AFOLs that are able to conceive, design, and build so many fantastic creations.

You'll have to update this text now, you'll have to have awe and appreciation for yourself now!

Wow! I don't quite have the words... This is impeccable, if this is your first attempt I can't wait to see what you are going to come up with for an encore! :laugh:

This is an excellent building. I love architecture and this building in particular has great aesthetic qualities, you've done a brilliant job in capturing all the details on the fascia! As for the interior the staircase is impressively done. Congratulation on all your hard work!

This is a "Thing of beauty". So much detail and created in such a short time for such a build. I bet it ways a fair bit too. Thanks for sharing with us.

I just weighted this creation. It came in at 42.4 pounds. Thanks for your comments.

Amazing job! Love the interior. How did you use excel to plot things out?

Excel is a wonderful tool for plotting out the footprint of any creation. First I convert the cells in to squares... it is not perfectly square, but pretty close. Try column width 2 and row height 15, then you can fill in the cells with different colors to represent the length & width of each piece. Here is a sample of the floorplan for the interior lobby:

13928797976_DISPLAY.jpg13928797092_DISPLAY.jpg

I also use Excel to plot out my display at Lego shows.

Stunning!! Absolutely stunning. You captured it so very good, with such a lot of details. AND THAT FOR A FIRST. I'm a fan my friend, you realy got a gift there,

Edited by The Dutch Guy

Need more photos of the inside, especially of the stairs - they're amazing! Good tips on using Excel as well.

Wow, this is fabulous work! Love the interior... you really captured the essence of the original building in all its detail.

This MOC is now on LEGO Cuusoo. You can visit the site and perform a search for "Paris" and this MOC will appear.