Hi there! :)

Seven years ago, my brother and I decided to build the miniature of the classic 8865 Test Car, as this particular set was always one of our favorites. As many of you, we have a very special connection with this set. When we were kids, we tried to replicate the front/middle section of the car -with the only reference of the LEGO® catalog from 1989- dozens of times...unsuccessfully! Our collection was small at that time, and our only dream was to have enough red technic bricks to build the red beast...

1358200043m_DISPLAY.jpg

...we only have to look at this picture to remember why we're into LEGO®. The people behind these images -designers, photographers- were truly artists.

Probably, some of you remember our "Super Size Me #8865" from 2007:

supersizeme_8865_01.jpg

...the thing is we had a lot of fun with this little model so we couldn't stop building more and more...!

Recently we decided to make building instructions of these old models, working in chronological order. We have just released the first set of instructions on MOCplans, the replica of the legendary 853 Super Car Chassis, released in 1977. This is how the cover looks:

ssm_--_853_main_picture.jpg

We hope to release the other four "Super Size Me" instructions in the next weeks, we'll keep you updated on this.

If you're interested, you can find them following the link:

http://mocplans.com/...ize-me-853.html

...next one: #8860!

See ya soon! :)

Regards,

Amador & Ramón (arvo)

Edited by arvo

Personally, I can't wait to build these little models. I was really impressed not only by the 853 mini model itself, but by the artistry behind the instructions. You can see in the sample cover page that the instructions have been designed to look just like the old Expert Builder instructions. This is not limited to the cover page. All the way through, the page layout and rendering style are very nostalgic.

Hi,

Great work! These mini's look awesome!

Will the future instructions be $10 as well? Or will you be combining the different cars into some sort of pack?

I am the last to complain about prices for building instructions, but $40 in total seems a bit steep. I am very interested in doing a (pictorial) review for these babies :)

Hi,

Very nice little models! I would really like to build them and display them next to their original size models. I just purchased the instructions for the 853 and was wondering if there is also an inventory available for the bricks needed (maybe I overlooked them). That will come in handy for purchasing the bricks with Bricklink.

Hi,

Very nice little models! I would really like to build them and display them next to their original size models. I just purchased the instructions for the 853 and was wondering if there is also an inventory available for the bricks needed (maybe I overlooked them). That will come in handy for purchasing the bricks with Bricklink.

Download: Brickstore Inventory

http://mocplans.com/...le/sample_id/4/

Edited by Theo van Vroenhoven

Thanks for your comments guys! :classic:

Hi,

Great work! These mini's look awesome!

Will the future instructions be $10 as well? Or will you be combining the different cars into some sort of pack?

I am the last to complain about prices for building instructions, but $40 in total seems a bit steep. I am very interested in doing a (pictorial) review for these babies :)

Hi Jim,

There will be another four instructions related to the other four "Super Cars" (8860, 8865, 8880 and 8448) and the price is expected to be the same for each one as the level of difficulty/number of pages is quite similar in all of them.

As you know, making instructions takes a lot of time, and these ones are not an exception. Just one example, we paint the studs one to one with black just to get the same look of the old instructions! :D And this is just one of the processes over the images...

Personally, I can't wait to build these little models. I was really impressed not only by the 853 mini model itself, but by the artistry behind the instructions. You can see in the sample cover page that the instructions have been designed to look just like the old Expert Builder instructions. This is not limited to the cover page. All the way through, the page layout and rendering style are very nostalgic.

Thanks for your words Blakbird, we are glad that you liked the style of the instructions! :sweet: :sweet:

There will be another four instructions related to the other four "Super Cars" (8860, 8865, 8880 and 8448) and the price is expected to be the same for each one as the level of difficulty/number of pages is quite similar in all of them.

As you know, making instructions takes a lot of time, and these ones are not an exception. Just one example, we paint the studs one to one with black just to get the same look of the old instructions! :D And this is just one of the processes over the images...

Cool! I do understand the work that goes into making them :thumbup:

If you buy them through Mocplans, is it possible to print a hardcopy?

Since they are so beautifully created I would like to keep the instructions with the model...

Thanks again guys! :wink: :wink:

Since they are so beautifully created I would like to keep the instructions with the model...

Hi Theo,

uhmm, that's a good question! I don't know to be honest. In terms of resolution and dimensions, the instructions were created to be digital/online but I suppose that you could print them for private use if you want. :classic:

You could use the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard and then open up Paint and click "Paste" under "Edit" and it then crop the picture to your liking and print it... It's a bit of work, but should do the trick...

Nice to see you guys finally releasing instructions for these very popular and sought after mini models...! I'll have to get a direct link up at my site to MOCplans for these instructions... Shoot me an email...!

This is the first model to highlight why exactly MOCplans is online only. It is both A) expensive (compared to others) and B) a very small file size. Above both of those however its also highly recognized and sought after. While I know that many people would respect the honor system its just not practical to believe that these instructions would always remain in the owners hands and for that reason its difficult to justify allowing downloading/printing.

I am more than aware this is a very thorny issue for some but with over 600 buyers so far it appears to be accepted by the general buying community.

You could use the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard and then open up Paint and click "Paste" under "Edit" and it then crop the picture to your liking and print it... It's a bit of work, but should do the trick...

As I have mentioned before... the PrtScreen Method really wont work for MOCplans by design. In nearly all cases its simply too small even at 2560x1600 resolutions to be able to see the instructions. For that reason you need to zoom-in. Once you have to do that it becomes very very cumbersome to start stictching images together.

I'm not saying whats there is fool proof but its certainly idiot proof and would require far more effort that its worth.

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to EB!

Be careful with bumping very old topics, although in this case your question is legit.

I'm not sure whether the other sets have been released.

At the moment the other sets have not been released. I was in contact with the brothers and they had intentions on releasing another model in January after the release of their "Alien" book (which has been quite successful).

There were talks about adding 8070 to the Super Size Me stable so that would be cool

I will certainly post when/if the next models are released!