Sign in to follow this  
jtlan

[MOC] Streamlined Locomotive m8079

Hello everyone,

Years ago, I saw a 3D rendered image of a streamlined locomotive online. I built a model of it then, but I didn't do a very good job of modeling it. Complicating the matter is the fact that the locomotive seems to be fictional, so I only had one render of it to go on.

After coming back from college I decided to see if I could do a better job of it. Here is the result:

01.jpg

and here's the image I based it off of:

m8079.jpg

Some details wound up being cartooned away. The fictional locomotive appears to be based in part on H45 024, a high-pressure variant of the DRG Class 45. Since there was only this one rendered image for reference, I had to extract out the proportions of the model by "reversing" the perspective of the image to figure out what the locomotive looks like from the side. The side view suggested an oddly short condensing tender; I may change that on a later revision.

04.jpg

There are two things I enjoy a lot about this model. The first is the three linked flanged drivers, which prompts a lot of head-scratching when I point it out. The model does in fact drive through all switches and curves -- I'm using a variant of Ben's sprung wheel trick shown here. Essentially, the middle drivers are on sprung half-axles and retract inwards a little on curves. The second feature is the use of technic piston heads for buffers -- they're just the right size! It turns out that if you jam them over a 1x1 plate with horizontal clip they stick.

Full gallery here. Thanks for looking -- let me know what you think.

It's a slightly odd looking thing but you've modelled it well. I don't think the tender looks too short though, in fact I probably would have made it shorter than this.

Nice. It is refreshing to see something different. It is a nice engine and I like the colour. Also some very nice detailing as well. Those pistons look great.

This looks really nice. I'm new to LEGO and trains, but already own two PF trains. Can't wait to learn the required building techniques to do something like this.

You've made a really good job of this! It's very different, although I wouldn't have said it was especially streamlined with all those bits sticking out of it! :wink:

Nice. It is refreshing to see something different. It is a nice engine and I like the colour. Also some very nice detailing as well. Those pistons look great.

Originally I was concerned about mixing old/new grey -- my collection is mostly from before the color change. However, it produces an odd mottled look here which I think looks okay on an industrial engine,

This looks really nice. I'm new to LEGO and trains, but already own two PF trains. Can't wait to learn the required building techniques to do something like this.

Thanks! The worst of the SNOT construction is in the nose of the loco and the 1/2 plate vertical offset in the hump -- I should really post some internal images. There's another 1/2 plate vertical offset in the tender to recess the central boss of the Big Ben wheels I used for fans. The core body of the loco is just ordinary studs-up construction, albeit an odd width (3-wide frame --> 7-wide running boards --> 4-wide body). There's some great SNOT tutorials out there on the web (such as the ones linked here) if you're interested in learning about this stuff. Sometimes the best way to build intuition for this stuff is just to pick up some bricks and experiment, though.

You've made a really good job of this! It's very different, although I wouldn't have said it was especially streamlined with all those bits sticking out of it! :wink:

I had considered putting "streamlined" in quotes. It's sort of a token attempt? Not sure how to describe the shape, as it's somewhat unconventional.