Rufus

News The LEGO Movie: 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow

The Sea Cow is magnificent, with such intricate detail! It looks like a real pain to build : ) , and I loves me some painfully detailed builds! I can't get over the detailing in the captain's quarters alone. The price is a bit of a turn-off though. I was thinking that The Simpson's House is priced at $200, and it's a licensed set. The price:piece is about $0.08. Looking at The Sea Cow, it's about $0.09. So, it looks like The Sea Cow is a bargain, relatively speaking. I don't care for the micro managers, and I'd gladly trade off those for a lower price. But, it is what it is. Me and the kids are gonna make our monthly pilgrimage to the Lego Store and see this set up close up before I commit to it.

Ah, who am I kidding? This is gonna make one helluva birthday present!

Happy b-day to me!

Edited by Colossus

I love this set but now I need at least £1000 for all the sets I want this year. I think this just beats the simpsons house to the top of my list of must buys

I love that captain's cabin? Globe piece?? :wub: Has that been made before? I'm not really into the ship as a whole, but the individual pieces are very nice.

Looks nice but maybe the first D2C pass for me since I like Benny's Spaceship more.

Looks really good, but if I were to get it I would replace the MiniBeard with my full size Metalbeard. Minibeard just looks weird to me, mostly as it's inaccurate compared to the movie metalbeard.

Edited by TNT apples

I like pirate ships, I like steam punk, I like all the movie sets especially Metal Beard and I like to build big sets with piece counts like this one but I'm sorry to say that: This set isn't worth to me 250 Euro.

The random photo of the net is rather strange

But this looks neat, certainly evokes the pirate theme better than the other Metalbeard set did. Won't be picking this up as it's too expensive for my tastes and I prefer standard pirate themes and not this style, but it looks to be an interesting build and I'm looking forward to seeing reviews.

Also I must say, that smaller Metalbeard looks a lot better than the larger mech in my opinion.

This set is great. I was immediately sold on Benny's ship - but more for Nostalgia. This ship trumps it on pure awesome and I'll pass (and save..) on SPACESHIP! to get this. Maybe for new-nostalgia for the movie, but also because I really like the ship itself. Creative and weird, and totally fits with my style of building and play. Done.

QueasyKitty and mini Metalbeard are very nice :)! I kinda prefer the mini version since it is a bit more "minifigure" size friendly and should be easier to place in a Moc :P

And the pearl gold hinges on his shoulders, the 1x1 modified with a clip, are those new?

And the ship looks amazing, I like this steampunk vibe in it and all the details up to the inside of the boat.

I don't know if I'll pick this one up, but granted I have the money... I might!

I really like the steampunk design, however it is kind of large.

It looks like it could be a fun build, but I just don't know yet. I may have to wait until I see one to make my final decision.

This is rather unusual for me, either I like a set and really want it, or just don't care about the set. This time I'm sitting right on the middle of the fence, could go either way.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

And the pearl gold hinges on his shoulders, the 1x1 modified with a clip, are those new?

Those are 1x2 hinges, can be seen better on the picture with MB and the ship.

Those are 1x2 hinges, can be seen better on the picture with MB and the ship.

Pretty sure it's a 1x1 hinges.

zasz.png

Pretty sure it's a 1x1 hinges.

untitled.jpg

Edited by Yooha

I told you which picture to look, but here it is:

untitled.jpg

Oh lol, that's kinda boring lol

A 1x1 would have been cool xD"

Thanks x)

I love that captain's cabin? Globe piece?? :wub: Has that been made before? I'm not really into the ship as a whole, but the individual pieces are very nice.

The globe is a printed diving helmet. This specific pattern originally appeared in 4191 Captain's Cabin from the Pirates of the Caribbean theme and later showed up in 10224 Town Hall. I have it from the latter set. It's a great piece (or rather, pair of pieces). But it's very clearly a "historic" (i.e. not perfectly accurate) globe — California appears as an island in accordance with a cartographical error from some early maps.

Anyway, this is a beautiful set! Six working cannons, a fantastic figure selection, some classy-looking micro-managers, a unique shape, and bunches of steampunk details. The pirate maps, portrait, and blueprint in the captain's cabin are stickers, not printing, which I suppose will disappoint some people. But they're still great graphic designs, and only the blueprint would be out-of-place in a historically accurate pirate layout. One of them is even a modernized version of the classic pirate map I remember from my childhood! The set also seems to have a fair number of play features — opening walls, retractable anchors, and of course the aforementioned working cannons.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in real life!