12531946533_2c7d2316ce.jpg

On a barren island, far out in the ocean, a lonely knight dragged himself up onto the sand. He raised his head languidly, looking tiredly round him. Suddenly he sprang up, and dashed up the beach with frightened eyes. All alone! Not so much as a coconut tree to break up the monotony of the horizon - he groaned aloud in a burst of despair. At last he raised his head. Up above him, circling in the air, flew his faithful pet bird. He fluttered down, resting on the knight's shoulder, looking inquiringly into his face. On a sudden impulse the knight took off the golden chain he always wore, and with a sharp twist broke off a fragement. He handed it to the bird, with the command, "Go home!" and the bird obediently flew off. Slowly the knight rose to his feet, and stood watching his last hope vanish over the horizon...

12531825755_cfd039c2e9.jpg

I'd like to claim UP DoH credit for Forced Perspective (General Building), and Oceanside or River Scene (Geography).

Somehow I wasn't completely happy with how this turned out - can't quite put my finger on it though. Maybe because I started out trying to do a graveyard scene, then switched to a feast, and finally came out with this...

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Very good job creating such a nice scene with just a few types of pieces :classic:

UoP +1 for both claims.

Some small advice on the fp is however to make sure that the focus is on the foreground, in the first picture the background is the sharpest part. It also helps the impression if the depth of field is short enough to blur the cracks between the bricks in the background :wink:

UoP DoH +1 for both claims. The bird flying away captures the FP well enough, but it could be better.

To improve the FP you could have tilted the 'sky' background so that the bottom was farther away (with more water), and raised the angle of the shot a little higher.

Very good job creating such a nice scene with just a few types of pieces :classic:

UoP +1 for both claims.

Some small advice on the fp is however to make sure that the focus is on the foreground, in the first picture the background is the sharpest part. It also helps the impression if the depth of field is short enough to blur the cracks between the bricks in the background :wink:

Thanks! Yes, greater depth would have been nice, but (at least on the larger one) I didn't quite have enough light blue to pull that off. And I'm working with a rather limited amount of bricks!

The sand texture looks great :thumbup: Cool brickbuilt background too, that blue works well for the sky :classic:

Thanks SK!

Nice little scene, the sand texturing is superb!

Thanks!

UoP DoH +1 for both claims. The bird flying away captures the FP well enough, but it could be better.

To improve the FP you could have tilted the 'sky' background so that the bottom was farther away (with more water), and raised the angle of the shot a little higher.

Thanks! Excellent idea there, tilting the sky would definitely have improved the FP!

Thanks! Yes, greater depth would have been nice, but (at least on the larger one) I didn't quite have enough light blue to pull that off. And I'm working with a rather limited amount of bricks!

What I was referring to was the depth of field in the sense of how much of the build is in focus. This is a property of the camera and not of the build, I've had cases where I've had to reshoot because not all parts of a minifigure was in focus at the same time :wink:

What I was referring to was the depth of field in the sense of how much of the build is in focus. This is a property of the camera and not of the build, I've had cases where I've had to reshoot because not all parts of a minifigure was in focus at the same time :wink:

Ah... I was kind of trying to focus on the bird but I do see how a focus on the fig would have been better.

what does Forced Perspective mean?

In simple terms it's making things seem nearer, further, bigger or smaller than it really is. It's done using either objects or camera angle, kind of like an optical illusion really. So in this sense he's made it seem like there's an endless blue sea/sky in front of him.

I always enjoy how you create really cool scenes with just a limited amount of bricks. So this one is no exception! I do wonder though, would amazing things you would do if you started to put together more bicks than this ...

Plus one UoP DoH for geography, but what does Forced Perspective mean?

Thanks!

In simple terms it's making things seem nearer, further, bigger or smaller than it really is. It's done using either objects or camera angle, kind of like an optical illusion really. So in this sense he's made it seem like there's an endless blue sea/sky in front of him.

nivremis nailed it there!

Sweet landscaping Kai :wink: Nice

Thanks Gunman!

I always enjoy how you create really cool scenes with just a limited amount of bricks. So this one is no exception! I do wonder though, would amazing things you would do if you started to put together more bicks than this ...

Thanks kabel! I'm afraid seeing what I can do with lots of bricks is far in the future... as a matter of fact right now I'm away from the majority of my brick collection and am working mostly with what I got from a couple PAB cups and the MMV (Medieval Market Village)! (Thus the repeating theme of light blue!)

I'm afraid seeing what I can do with lots of bricks is far in the future... as a matter of fact right now I'm away from the majority of my brick collection and am working mostly with what I got from a couple PAB cups and the MMV (Medieval Market Village)! (Thus the repeating theme of light blue!)

Great job getting good MOCs out with so few bricks!

I'm on my way home from Lego World where my Nordana Castle looked so small compared to what the crazier AFOLs had on exhibition in the Fan Zone...good to put things in perspective :wink:

I think whats lacking is the sky needs another shade of blue but nice job working with your limited bricks.

...crazier AFOLs...

:laugh: That made me laugh!

Thanks Gideon!

I think whats lacking is the sky needs another shade of blue but nice job working with your limited bricks.

Yes, that would have been an improvement... though sadly I think could count all the other color blue bricks I have right now on my fingers...

Thanks!

This is a really nice idea and the land side looks great. Considering your brick palette it's great. I totally agree with Gideon on his points. Do you have any trans clear plates? They might give a nice sense of depth to the sea if used judiciously. Love the Crow!

Very lovely! The bird is nifty

Thanks! Yes, it's a very nice piece!

This is a really nice idea and the land side looks great. Considering your brick palette it's great. I totally agree with Gideon on his points. Do you have any trans clear plates? They might give a nice sense of depth to the sea if used judiciously. Love the Crow!

Thanks robuko! I do have several trans-clear plates... you're right that they could probably have been used well there. That's one of the problems with a scene like this... you're never quite sure what angle will turn out best until you've taken the pictures, which makes it hard to visualize exactly what would make the shot better!

Agreed, an extra blue shade for the sky would have been great, but we work with what we have :)

+1 to UoP DoH claims

Agreed, an extra blue shade for the sky would have been great, but we work with what we have :)

+1 to UoP DoH claims

Yeah, maybe by the next time I try something like this I'll have the right pieces! Thanks!

Looks great Kai! Although I agree with the others about the focus! I like the sea weed on the beach! :thumbup:

Looks great Kai! Although I agree with the others about the focus! I like the sea weed on the beach! :thumbup:

Thanks dG! Those seaweed pieces have sure come in handy!