Saberwing40k

How I would run the Technic Theme

I know a lot of you think the Technic theme is in decline, so here's how I would run it in a perfect world.

Sub Themes

Under my command, the Technic theme would be divided into three sub series. They are as follows.

• Action Series: Mostly small, sub $50 dollar sets, focused on looks and playability. 42022 and the pull back racers would fall under this series. This series is in some ways like the old Drome racers sets, but with construction vehicles and aircraft as well. There may also be some small, performance oriented R/C sets, kind of like ACC cars in terms of size and speed. The target are the younger builders, who are relatively new to the Technic system.
  • Universal Series: Exactly what it says on the tin, the Universal series sets are not designed to build any particular model, but a variety of related models, I.E. cars and aircraft, or pneumatic machines. The larger sets include an extensive construction manual, with QR codes for use with a parallel smartphone app, which includes instructions for 4 or 5 models, inspiration for many more, and a detailed explanation of the principles at work. This series also includes some instructions on how to build things that require more than one set, or even loose parts, with BOMs and everything. The largest sets are flagship sized, much like the recently released architecture set, with extensive manuals, and a wide variety of parts. The sets range from true universal sets, to others that are little more than parts packs. The target range is builders who want to move out of the Action series, and advanced builders wanting to expand the collection.
  • Last but not least, is the massive Expert Series: Large to very large sets packed with functions, aimed at the most skilled builders. Most sets would have PF built in, or pneumatics, to make them extremely functional and playable. The only sets that would have gearbox function splitters are the ones with PF, so no more tedious knob turning. At the top of this series are the flagship and super flagship sets, but more on those later.

The Super Flagship:

For the most part, there are two flagships each year, one released in the summer, and one released in the winter. However, every three years, the winter release is a super flagship, extremely large, and complex, with double the parts of the current largest sets. The super flagships are often, though not always fully remote control.

More Waves:

Currently, the Technic theme has two waves, 1h and 2h. Under my system, this is done differently. There are a total of 3 waves, consisting of wave 1, the basic sets and the 1st flagship of the year, then wave 1.5, introducing the new universal sets, and wave 2, introducing the winter flagship, in time for Christmas.

More interaction:

In my Technic theme, most sets, but the Expert and Universal series in particular, have instruction for building things with different sets of parts. I.E. another Unimog set would have instructions on how to make different attachments, either with Action sets, Universal sets, or both. In addition, the flagship models often relate to one another, for instance, a tow truck and a super car, or a trailer and load.

More Bonus Content:

I'd also overhaul the website, to include areas where designers share ideas and prototypes for finished models, and instruction for things they designed, but were not made as sets. Also on the web, would be an area similar to Cuusoo, but with the instructions being made only. One could post and advanced MOC to this aspect of the site, and other users would vote on it, and if it achieves so many votes, TLG will produce full instructions, available for purchase, with a cut of the profits going to the designer. Finally, there would be a survey section, where users could vote for different new parts, or new sets. For instance, one survey would be titled: "What should the next Super Flagship be?"

More Parts Not In Sets.

What is this? This is for all those cool parts, like planetary hubs, or small PF motors, that would be useful for MOCing, but mostly useless in mainline sets. Some of the designs would be user suggested, of course. Naturally, the parts would be a bit more expensive, but worth every penny.

In actuality, this will be updated later, as I fully form the ideas, so have patience.

Edited by Saberwing40k

I loved to look at technic models from the catalogs when I was a kid, there were many different models, like submarines, space shuttles, now they are all construction machines or cars which I find boring.

I'm on your side. Especially with the universal sets, which are lacking nowdays. The constructio crew set comes closest nowdays to what a universal set should be like.

This is absolutely how I would run the TECHNIC theme. I would love to see a studless universal set!

TLH

I like the idea of themes. I wonder if in someway the technic sets could mirror the town/city sets. They have trucks, tankers, helicopters and cars etc. An expert theme is a great idea and I would hope a beginner theme would also be welcome. Considering that many have had technic for over twenty years and we're still buying it maybe lego needs to realise they are still selling to us as grown-ups.

H

Okay, I've added some stuff. My final catergory will be New Parts, so I'd like to hear some suggestions. Also, indeed, I will be showing some example sets from all sub themes.

I've only been on these forums for a little while, but the interests people have in Technics surprises me. Beforehand I assumed that people bought Technic sets pretty much exclusively for the parts. Maybe they built the set, but then they tore it down and built their own models, learning and exploring about mechanical engineering as they did so. This is what I would do if my kids didn't protect their instruction-built models so fiercely. In this way, I would run the Technic line as a parts bin, selling sets with liftarms, gears, pins, or whatever. This doesn't seem to be what the users of this forum (and probably the public in general) would like though. It's good for LEGO that I don't work for LEGO. Still, I wish I could buy a set of liftarms in a particular color, or a set of wheels.

Yes, that sounds great, and i would support this scheme. However, I can not imagine voting for new parts or models against the internet's anonymous crowds of not FOLs... ;)

This sounds like a great idea. I especially like the idea of instructions for models designed, but not released.

If you want universal sets, vote with your wallets, and buy Lego Education stuff. E.g. Simple Machines + Pneumatic add-on is a good equivalent of old Universal sets:

https://education.lego.com/en-gb/lego-education-product-database/machines-and-mechanisms/9686-simple-and-powered-machines-set

https://education.le...tics-add-on-set

It may not be available to public buyers in every territory, but there are definitely resellers serving UK and EU.

http://www.active-ro.../lego-education

Definitely easier to just not bother though, and you get bonus internet points for complaining, right?

Edited by andythenorth

Superflagship (or UCS), that would be awesome. Currently TLC is not driving Technic forward, that job falls squarely on MOC's. And where are the "official" ModelTeam-Technic hybrids?

I love the idea of extra instructions!

You buy the Unimog (or other flagship-series) and then there are instructions like: If you also have the crawler (or whatever else) you have the parts needed to do these customizations, followed by instructions on how to change wheels, add RC, build a hitch trailer, etc.

I think this would allow more people to get into MOCing.

I would give top priority to design a new engine block.

Why? My whole thing is driving the Technic theme forward, and the current engine block is perfectly fine for what it needs to do. I'm talking about new parts like new motors, and maybe flexible driveshafts, to enable things to be achieved in

Technic that were difficult, if not impossible, to do before.

If you want universal sets, vote with your wallets, and buy Lego Education stuff. E.g. Simple Machines + Pneumatic add-on is a good equivalent of old Universal sets:

https://education.le...ed-machines-set

https://education.le...tics-add-on-set

It may not be available to public buyers in every territory, but there are definitely resellers serving UK and EU.

http://www.active-ro.../lego-education

Definitely easier to just not bother though, and you get bonus internet points for complaining, right?

The education sets are hilariously overpriced, and my wallet is currently empty.

So yeah, the best that I can do is gripe on the internet. :tongue:

I actually thought the Technic team did a pretty good job in 2013, and IMHO, that was their best year since I got back into LEGO 4 or so years ago. There were some great sets last year. 2014 may not look as good to us AFOLs (plane is awesome though!), but we aren't LEGO's target demographic. LEGO is going to sell a ton of airplanes and remote control loaders, mostly to kids. The loader, especially, has a huge amount of playability. We may not like how it looks or works, but the kids will. And, LEGO should keep building sets aimed at kids. If it wasn't for the kids, there wouldn't be any sets for the comparatively few of us AFOLs to buy. So, if LEGO feels the need to do the same ideas over and over to sell sets, I'm fine with that. I may not buy the sets, but the important thing is that it keeps LEGO in business.

Anyways, to the topic at hand here. There are some excellent proposals. I especially like the idea of being able to buy individual parts. I remember when back in the day, LEGO would allow us to buy individual pneumatic parts, tires/rims, gear packs, appearance packages, etc. Whether or not that would work depends on how competitive they could be with bricklink.

I'm all for more universal sets as well. I still kick myself for not getting the Control Center II. What a cool set.

I'm fine with just 2 waves, but of course 3 would be better for us!

The "More Interaction" section sounds nice as well, however, I don't think it would be financial viable for LEGO to do it. Whatever instructions LEGO releases would have to be for a model that passes LEGO's standards. This means that a designer is going to have to spend just as much time building/designing a model for instructions as he/she would spend designing an actual set. Plus, an instruction developer is going to have to make the instructions. This all adds up to a lot of man hours ($$$), and they will probably end up losing money, especially if they are giving away the instructions.

Not sure I understand breaking Technic up into action, universal, and expert series. I don't think something like the Mobile Crane necessarily takes more of an "expert" to build than a pull-back racer. It just takes somebody with more patience and the ability to follow a larger instruction booklet. My 6 year-old nephew built much of the Mobile Crane, including the superstructure and gearbox (we still haven't finished it though…I stole some parts for a moc). He follows instructions better than I do. And, I know LEGO already markets sets as "expert" sets, but it doesn't take a LEGO expert to follow instructions for a large or detailed set. That's just marketing, imho. So, breaking up the Technic line into categories may help with marketing and may make the line a bit more organized, but I don't think it necessarily differentiates the newbies from the veteran builders.

A super flagship would be awesome, but I don't think I would shell out more than what I paid for the Mobile Crane. I don't think many people would. It sure would be cool to see what LEGO would come up with though.

I hope I don't sound like a party-pooper here. There are some really great ideas being presented, and I hope LEGO can pursue some of these. :thumbup:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Splitting up the releases like you suggest doesn't work, because then sets at each price point sit on the shelves for a year, which stores don't like.

Anyways, to the topic at hand here. There are some excellent proposals. I especially like the idea of being able to buy individual parts. I remember when back in the day, LEGO would allow us to buy individual pneumatic parts, tires/rims, gear packs, appearance packages, etc. Whether or not that would work depends on how competitive they could be with bricklink.

You can buy individual parts from Lego now - take a look at this thread. The part selection is somewhat limited, the system is clunky and slow, and some of the parts are priced well above BL prices - but it does work, and can be a good way to get some specific parts.

something i really miss is a decent box it used to be an exciting thing to open a box that was well presented.

also, a small technic creator set each year with only a few hundred basic parts a bit like the education sets. would be really interesting to see the creative mocs that people could build from them

As long as I'm flapping my yap about what I would like to see in Technic, it would be fun to see sets that are motorized walkers, and odd machinery that doesn't have a real-life counterpart. Like giant versions of Yoshihito Isogawa's simple machines, wheeled vehicles, and the other book, which I can't remember. Whimsical things. They probably wouldn't sell well though. It would be cool if they had a great general Technic techniques book, that taught a lot of principles about building with Technic, and sold all the parts with it so you could build the examples. Like what if you could buy Yoshihito Isogawa's books with all the parts included? Or better yet, Sariel's book The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builder's Guide. Man that would be sweet.

I would just like to see Lego release color packs of parts that are not available in their signature sets... I think the theme is just fine for their intended target audience...