Sign in to follow this  
pcvando

REVIEW: 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda

Regarding the board game, I asked a friend if he remembers it. And he does. But he's not sure if it was his or mine. Or if we both had it. None of us has BSB, just the smaller sets.

Regarding the board game, I asked a friend if he remembers it. And he does. But he's not sure if it was his or mine. Or if we both had it. None of us has BSB, just the smaller sets.

Thanks for checking around a bit, but that just adds to the confusion pirate_laugh2.gif

So then it definitely came with more than the my 2 BSB's but what else did it come with…. pirate_laugh_new.gif

I know one thing for sure, the only sets it could possibly also come with are the 1989 line because of the sets pictured on the game board.

You can see the Clipper, the BSB, Eldorado Fortress, Raft Raiders, and the Harbour sentry (No way it would fit :P) so it has to be exclusive to those.

Unfortunately Lego is not what they used to be, and they don't often reply to any older set inquiries, so I have heard nothing from them…. yet!

Great review! I always wondered what a brand new 1989 set looked like when you opened it, and now I know! The pre-assembled minifigs takes a little bit of fun out of building the set, though. Didn't you say that you have the Caribbean Clipper? Or was that somebody else? Anyway, I can't wait for your review of the Skull's Eye Schoner!

As I remember, the minifigs weren't completely assembled. The legs and maybe some of the extra parts were loose. I see your point, but I loved the way they were displayed and made special.

Seeing that box really brings back some memories. I remember the old poly-bags with perforated holes all through them. Ripping those bags open was always a sign of a great day. I remember the very vividly the Christmas that I got the Black Seas Barracuda. After I finished building the ship, I carried it along to all of our christmas parties so that I could show it off. That was not easilly done considering how HUGE that ship was to a small kid. I built my ship back together last December. I Ironed the sales and cleaned off some of the grime with a magic eraser. I thought the teeth marks might bother me, but I actually look at them with warm memories instead. My 2 year old daughter loves playing with the BSB!

1525261_797294500297473_1824912656_n.jpg

Edited by mkeller234

As I remember, the minifigs weren't completely assembled. The legs and maybe some of the extra parts were loose. I see your point, but I loved the way they were displayed and made special.

Seeing that box really brings back some memories. I remember the old poly-bags with perforated holes all through them. Ripping those bags open was always a sign of a great day. I remember the very vividly the Christmas that I got the Black Seas Barracuda. After I finished building the ship, I carried it along to all of our christmas parties so that I could show it off. That was not easilly done considering how HUGE that ship was to a small kid. I built my ship back together last December. I Ironed the sales and cleaned off some of the grime with a magic eraser. I thought the teeth marks might bother me, but I actually look at them with warm memories instead. My 2 year old daughter loves playing with the BSB!

1525261_797294500297473_1824912656_n.jpg

Im glad so see another one! I have many sealed older sets, and I want to open them just to open the bags with the tiny holes in them pirate_classic.gif

Its good to hear future generations are playing with these too! You have some other very cool sets on the table there as well! I love them all, but the BSB wins! pirate_laugh_new.gif

+ You are also right about the way the figs came packaged, most older sets with flaps displayed them nicely, making each one special...

unlike today where they throw them all in together ;)

Edited by pcvando

Nice review! I bricklink'ed the Barracuda during last autumn/early winter. I did skip the sails, big flags and most parts are used parts since I'm going to let my sons (once old enough) play with the ship.

My biggest complain is that the storage holds are not closed, things can get into the cannon room, the back cabin is not that good and there is no front cabin.

Those Pirates ship ( vintage ) are Awesome!.....especially the classic smiley look gives it a real feel, not like the modern look with new faces marks and look.( ouch ).

i own the Lego 6289 not the re re 6290...:) ( Red Beard Runner ) and i LOVE it!

Great review. When LEGO released this set I was too old to play with LEGO.

A few years ago, I found one at a flea market for few euros and I bought it.

Some pieces were missing, I bought them on BL. Now it's complete and is in my "original set" collection.

Classic. I never had that set when I was a kid. I chose instead to spend my money on Eldorado Fortress that year. I've since bought a lot of bulk collections and can't get enough of the BSB. I think there's currently 8 complete ones plus the key parts for a couple more.

The cherry on top is one I found on eBay with a very poor description and in the wrong category. A first release, sealed in the box , and completely shrink wrapped since new. No shelf wear, moisture damage or fading.

Thanks for the review.

BSB is the most prominently displayed set in my apartment (really the only one most visitors see) and people love it, whether they're into Lego or not. It's that classic, it goes with everything.

BSB is the most prominently displayed set in my apartment (really the only one most visitors see) and people love it, whether they're into Lego or not. It's that classic, it goes with everything.

100% True

I will post mine soon!

While I had plenty of Pirate sets in my younger days, I missed out on the big ships back then. Thankfully, after I restored everything to its proper glory in 2001-2002, Lego rereleased a number of older sets and I got this one (as 10040) for Christmas in 2002.

It's the largest set I've ever built, and after seeing the various picture reviews of Lego's other ships I still believe this one is the best. No details were left undone here.