Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

AoM: Store Phase II

(This is set after A Rude Awakening but well before A Timely Friend) Wyndor walked the streets of a village near Mt. Mitgard. He was in need of a new sword to continue his journey to find his brothers. Times were tough as the elemental monsters were still on their rampage throughout Mitgardia. Most people had fled to places of safety, but a few villages refused to abandon their homes, no matter how great the danger.

12488576394_c5163cea4a_z.jpg

This village, Bornholm, was one such place.

12488571374_1b71b37a9f_c.jpg

It's people continued to deal with the normal difficulties of life, like how to deal with thieves and how to keep their wives' beards clean.

12488561954_9279d194a1_c.jpg

Inside one of the shops, a dwarf was learning the finer points of katanas.

12488074175_5f12083b70_z.jpg

"So you see, those are the differences in fighting styles needed when using either a square or round guard on a katana." Stated Liam the Cyclops.

12488082155_b0017f3c6b_c.jpg

Just then Wyndor walked in.

"I thank you Sir Liam, I will dwell on what you have explained and make my choice in the morning" said the dwarf as he left.

"And how may I help you sir?" asked Liam.

Wyndor paused for a moment, slightly speechless.

"You're not quite what I expected" answered Wyndor.

"Ah," Liam sighed, ​"Another one who has a bias against non-humans."

"No, that's not it, I just haven't seen a cyclops running a weapons shop before" replied Wyndor quickly.

"What? You think my kind is good enough do you?" said Liam in a huff.

"Now it is you how are mistaken sir, I had a cyclops friend when I was a child. But his tastes where more towards battle and war and not in the ways of management or shop-keeping" answered Wyndor.

"Well, you will find me perfectly capable in both fields sir. I am Liam, and I can both sell you a weapon and beat you with it." Said Liam indigently.

"It seems I have come to the right place then," said Wyndor, "I am in need of a new sword."

"Everyone comes in thinking they need a sword," replied Liam haughtily."Let me be the judge of that" he said as he lay out a number of different weapons.

12488525974_4556e7cccf_z.jpg

"I don't know how to use any of these," said Wyndor. "I've only used to a regular sword."

"You say that, but have you ever tried training with another weapon?" ask Liam.

"Well, no, not really" answered Wyndor.

"It's agreed then," stated Liam. "I will train you."

"Oh no," thought Wyndor. "What have I gotten myself into?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OoC: This is my second phase for the Store category for AoM. Let me say that I realize the pictures are a little grainy. I didn't have time to set up my whole photo assembly and had to make do with less than perfect light. I also realize there is some light showing through the walls of the store. That couldn't be helped due to the size of the build and the time restriction I had. I have family showing up in a few minutes and their here all weekend. I really wanted to get this up before that, so that why there are a few flaws. I hope you can enjoy it regardless.

I like the treasure shelf. Cool storage/hiding spot with the ladder up. The overhang on the outside of that shelf doesn't make much sense though without something stored there. Maybe some barrels or other containers, a woodpile, or an animal pen adjacent to the hut would make it look more natural.

There're a lot of cool details here for sure, but for me, this MOC just isn't pulling itself together into something cohesive.

I don't think the modern window out front is helping.

Yeah, the window is my least favorite part too. I don't have any shuttered windows, just some red frames without glass or shutters. Doesn't exactly make it easy to create medieval windows. I just invested in some of the arched windows and lattice that I used in my Kaliphlin build, so I'll have to wait until later this year before Bricklinking some shuttered windows. What does everyone else think of the glass? Is it GoH appropriate?

Nice shop-sign and a good story. A self-respecting cyclops. :laugh:

Great build. Love the roof, and everything else! My shop is a weapon store too, I hope you don't think I copied it from you? I didn't copy it, just to be clear, I just didn't have another idea for the store. Hope that isn't a problem to you?

I like the shape of the shop, and the interior is cool as well. I agree with mrcp6d that the windows don't quite fit the medieval era.

There are plenty of brickbuilt window designs that work well, I'd recommend doing some experimenting as well as looking at how others build windows. I'll even give you a few examples myself:

It's kind of hard to see the windows here, but they're just telescopes on top of jumper plates with 1x2 plates on top:

stable2.JPG

gatehouse-back.JPG

overview.jpgg-back.JPG

front.JPG

@Alfadas: No problem! Weapons stores are pretty common in medival settings so it's not an issue to have many of them in AoM.

@soccerkid: Thanks for the suggestions. I particularly like the telescope version. However, I'm not sure if those would work with a store setting.

Edited by MKJoshA

Thanks man. I was getting worried. Phew. Now I can continue with my own store (not as good as yours).

I actually like the general design of your house. Some really nice features are included. Another thing besides the window that I'd change would be the uniformity of your grey. Currently it looks more like concrete rather than stones. I usually mix light and dark bley plates to achieve the effect. BTW, here is something I created when I ran out of castle windows:

11131097036_0959ef11f7.jpg

Actually, most medieval windows were rather square instead of arched as can be seen in this image, the oldest house of my hometown (ca. 1400):

58850302.jpg

I really like those windows, what a great idea! I have plenty of those "backrest" pieces so I'll have to try using it next time. Thanks kabel!

That window technique is really nice kabel!

I agree with what's been said about the trans-clear piece as a window here - looks a bit too modern. I think the piece is still usable for the medieval era, but I'd suggest offsetting it with a frame, not building it into the stone wall.