Over the last four hours I have completely redesigned my Lego British Rail MK 1 SO Carriage in LDD 4.3, the redesign was inspired by bricktrix own Cream and Crimson carriages, especially how he uses a reversed Lego headlight brick and a Lego Minifigure Hammer to make the door opening mechanism, and Lego curved slope bricks to give the coach a curved bottom, the redesigned carriage is 53 studs or 16.5 inches long, 8 studs wide (9 studs with the opening mechanism and window ledge).

The carriage is based on British Rail Mark 1 Coaches which were introduced in the UK in 1951 to replace older pre British Rail Coaches, the coaches were mostly 57 foot in length, some were 63 foot in length.

12480263053_b1cc059b6b_c.jpg

12480598854_a07885a4e2_c.jpg

12480119325_13a6ca204d_c.jpg

12480120175_54c49eea86_c.jpg

12480270953_64bf0c216b_c.jpg

12480272463_4451c30a8d_c.jpg

800px-British_Railways_Mark_1_SO_4824.JPG

A comparison of my Lego British Rail MK 1 SO carriage with a Real British Rail MK 1 So carriage.

12480273803_18acf3955d_c.jpg

12480608604_2d92d9eb33_c.jpg

12480129955_99501e01fa_c.jpg

12480280103_465efb04f0_c.jpg

12480281823_931d8a9ebd_c.jpg

Images showing my Lego British Rail MK 1 Carriage LDD design in other liveries.

12480616114_2dec3bd416_c.jpg

12480286473_f949a50c8b_c.jpg

12480261033_19edaf48a8_c.jpg

12480113525_7d39aa8079_c.jpg

Update :

I have worked out the cost of getting the parts to build the carriage, the cost is £125.00, should take month to two months to save enough money to build two carriages.

Edited by jamesed_1971

Wow, these look great! I've been designing a similar carriage in 7-wide, so I'm definitely drawing some inspiration from this when I revisit mine. Love the different liveries too :thumbup:

Much, much, better to your initial design (and I'm not saying that because they replicate my work). Its good to see that you've taken the main body height from 4 bricks upto 5 (with a few plates here and there) and maybe you should look at your Scotsman again in that respect (from memory its cab is only 4 bricks high?)

This is the sort of huge jump I like to see from someone in this hobby. You have gone from a fairly medicore design and shot right upto something that is now very convincing. Whilst I admire your strive for proportions, just try to remember that this IS LEGO, and if you want to run any of this stuff, extensive testing is required. From my experience, whilst the distance between wheelsets on your bogies isnt a problem, it starts to become one once 2 pairs are on the same chassis. You would be struggling to pull these through standard LEGO curves if only using 4 or 5 carriages, as the weight vs length will become an issue, and the wheelset distances on each bogie vs bogie distances per carriage will create huge drag / friction which will result in motor wheelspin and complete rake slow-down / possible motor burn out.

The type of dimensions you are designing at the moment lend themselves ONLY to huge layouts that utilise shallower curve techniques and your price point for ordering and building per unit will be very high.

You now have a very nice starting point with these, so I look forwards to seeing if you go further in detailing with them, and / or reducing scale to an affordable price, workable running, etc, etc.

Nice looks good, close to mine but I think this is topping mine now. I would say drop it to 7 wide, as your FS is only 6/7 wide. These would fit my 8 wide FS well.

After i had finished the redesign for my Lego British Rail MK 1 SO Carriage, I went back and redesigned my Flying Scotsman, so it is is the same height as my redesigned carriage and the width of my Lego LNER Flying Scotsman is 8 studs wide as seen in the images below, I am planning to make custom Lego track with gentle curves when I start building the layout later this year, first thing is to rebuild my Lego Flying Scotsman with the new parts which I have ordered at the weekend, currently my Lego LNER Flying Scotsman Locomotive Chassis is just front of my Lego Cartoon G1 Optimus Prime, as for the cost of building the stuff it will be spread over the next year as I build my Lego model railway

12485769424_9d5c024964_b.jpg

12485420973_63aee77ce1_b.jpg

I would love to make the Brown ones, but the tan windows are so costly. Might end up making Br blue so my diesels can also pull them.

I would be keen on the LDD file if u keen to throw it around.

Another way is to use transparent panels where the windows should be and use transparent printer labels and print the carriage sides and stick them on to the side of the carriage

Can you tell me what slopped brick you are using on the bottom of the side wall. Just try to think how you put them on as there is no inside shots.

Just sent the file via Gmail, as for how I fix the curved slope is by using a 2x1 bracket which the curved slope is attached to with plate added on top of the bracket to provide a base for building the carriage walls, the bracket is fixed to the base by two stud long bricks at each end of the carriage

Hello All.

Did some work on this changing it to 7 Wide to fit my locos over the 8 wide. the over all look is still the same I have just changed the bogies.

I will start modding these so I can have a break car and restaurant car.

Thanks for that starting design jamesed_1971

6xni.jpg

Edited by Lazarus

Hey, I was wondering if you could send the LDD file to me as I am attempting to build something similar

Kind regards and keep up the amazing work

Harry