CorneliusMurdock

Licensed Forum Suggestions

You already decided that? Did everyone already give his/her reaction on this topic? Why so hasty?

As I've said before, this is a suggestion box. I value your opinions and I do want to hear your ideas for making the forum a better place to visit but there are some things that are not going to change right now.

Making a separate forum for SH or even a subforum within Licensed doesn't make sense for reasons stated and wouldn't be worth the work it entails.

Fat chance :sceptic:. Separating just gives opportunity to trolls, from both sides.

Not if the Mod is willing to be tough and boot you from the forum indefinitely for being a troll.

The problem with this is that it only solves half the problem, and creates new ones. So let's say DC fans stay in the DC topic and Marvel fans stay in the their topic. That's fine but then you have 3 groups of people ( people who like both companies equally, people who like both but favour DC and people who like both but favour Marvel) who are then inconvenienced. A large number of people are having to go into two threads to essentially post the same comments. Both these themes are incredibly similar. Both in price points, make up of sets, number of pieces/ figures in sets.

Just look at this year,

Batman vs penguin £11.99, 2 figures, around 100 pieces

Spider man vs Electro, £11.99, 2 figures around 100 pieces

Bat copter, £19.99, 3 figures around 200 pieces

Spidey armored van, £19.99, 3 figures around 200 pieces

The line up for both side is incredibly similar, and when you take into account how LEGO alternates between marvel and DC, the whole Marvel vs DC thing will always be there.

Sure it won't be a fan war but people will always here about the other companies sets. Someone will always say that set looks terrible, the vehicle looks crap I prefer the DC £20 set to Marvels £20 set. People will always be comparing Marvel sets to DC and DC to Marvel, the problem now is that DC fans will be pissed of that people are comparing Marvel sets in the DC thread and vise versa. Also now the mods need to moderate 2 bickering threads instead of 1.

I feel the majority of Superhero fans aren't loyal to a single brand and pick and choose from each company. So to split a topic to me at least only seems to serve the minority, and create more work for everyone else.

You'd have to go between 2 threads would be your major issue? I didn't realise the UK still had dial-up Internet?

Not if the Mod is willing to be tough and boot you from the forum indefinitely for being a troll.

Eh, I guess. But I mean, it would still be troublesome.

I am in favor of slitting the Marvel and DC 2014 threads up. I check a lot more than two threads on Eurobricks. But the joint thread causing so much off topic talk that it is hard for most of us to keep up with what is going on. If I don't check daily, I can be pages behind... pages of opinions on the comic books / TV shows / movies and not on the sets. No wonder people try to re announce things or ask what is new.

Even if that was still going on, you would have less to wade through if you wanted to look up a specific item or rumor.

I wonder though if the general members could submit actual designs of the banner. As long as the specs were posted I bet many of us have the skills to manufacture the images and reduce the effort for the staff. Then it might even be possible to have the banner image change through out the day (if the Pirates banner really does that, that is awesome).

You'd have to go between 2 threads would be your major issue? I didn't realise the UK still had dial-up Internet?

It's an issue because it people will most likely be posting the same comment in both threads.

We've been over quite a bit, but basically, there isn't enough licence themes at the moment to sustain a Licenced forum. If you took away superheroes, the only ongoing themes you have are, TMNT, Disney Princesses and what looks like a one off, simpsons theme.

I thought there were more licensed themes than ever before, since all the older ones continue to exist even after they're discontinued. I take it you mean ones that are currently in production, though. Even so, there are still a few others - Cars / Planes (still in production, at least in DUPLO Planes), Jake and the Never Land Pirates, Mickey Mouse & Friends, and Minecraft, plus the one-off CUUSOO sets based on Back to the Future and Ghostbusters.

I am in favor of slitting the Marvel and DC 2014 threads up. I check a lot more than two threads on Eurobricks. But the joint thread causing so much off topic talk that it is hard for most of us to keep up with what is going on. If I don't check daily, I can be pages behind... pages of opinions on the comic books / TV shows / movies and not on the sets. No wonder people try to re announce things or ask what is new.

I have that problem a lot, and not just with this forum, though it would be diminished or eliminated if the initial posts in threads covering overall themes got updated more frequently and comprehensively (so that they'd include all the sets in a given theme in a given year, including polybags and whatnot; all too often I don't find out about those until it's too late).

I'm sur

The banner will be designed by our capable staff designer. Don't worry, I'm sure it will be awesome.

I'm sure it will be. I just request that it include Indy, please!

I thought there were more licensed themes than ever before, since all the older ones continue to exist even after they're discontinued. I take it you mean ones that are currently in production, though. Even so, there are still a few others - Cars / Planes (still in production, at least in DUPLO Planes), Jake and the Never Land Pirates, Mickey Mouse & Friends, and Minecraft, plus the one-off CUUSOO sets based on Back to the Future and Ghostbusters.

I have that problem a lot, and not just with this forum, though it would be diminished or eliminated if the initial posts in threads covering overall themes got updated more frequently and comprehensively (so that they'd include all the sets in a given theme in a given year, including polybags and whatnot; all too often I don't find out about those until it's too late).

More than anything we're talking about the amount of discussion that takes place regarding those other licenses. Which is next to none. So you'd be left with a licensed forum for a bunch of subthemes that very few people actually post about. Which isn't going to happen, for reasons explained exhaustively in this thread.

I agree on updating the initial posts, though. People wouldn't have to be as bothered by the off-topic stuff burying the news if the OP in the threads were updated with the latest pictures and such as they appear.

Wow, so I'm surprised no ones brought up events yet. I currently don't have money to MOC and so forth, I have 3 years worth of Lego to catch up on, but when I do, I'd like to be able to participate in forum wide activities. The Pirates forum is currently running the team-work competition, the Special themes forum had the Christmas run a couple of months ago, and doesn't Star Wars have it's own Heroica type game? Not to mention how often the community builds show up over at the Historic forum, which also has the Guilds of Historica backing it up. I understand Mod's are busy, Cornelius and Clone O' have 2 (or more) years of reviews to catch up on, as well as handling what I can only assume are daily reports. But one could also argue that Pandora has power here and can run activities, but she's also a Mod in Friends discussion's, the Special themes forum, as well as being what I consider one of the most active Mod's in the Website forum. So we have quite a bit of help here in the Licensed forum, and considering past posts, for good reason too. I just hope that when any Mod gets the chance, we start seeing community builds and events.

Wow, so I'm surprised no ones brought up events yet. I currently don't have money to MOC and so forth, I have 3 years worth of Lego to catch up on, but when I do, I'd like to be able to participate in forum wide activities. The Pirates forum is currently running the team-work competition, the Special themes forum had the Christmas run a couple of months ago, and doesn't Star Wars have it's own Heroica type game? Not to mention how often the community builds show up over at the Historic forum, which also has the Guilds of Historica backing it up. I understand Mod's are busy, Cornelius and Clone O' have 2 (or more) years of reviews to catch up on, as well as handling what I can only assume are daily reports. But one could also argue that Pandora has power here and can run activities, but she's also a Mod in Friends discussion's, the Special themes forum, as well as being what I consider one of the most active Mod's in the Website forum. So we have quite a bit of help here in the Licensed forum, and considering past posts, for good reason too. I just hope that when any Mod gets the chance, we start seeing community builds and events.

I'd also love to see some more events. Personally I'd love to see a build Springfield community build, when the Minifigure series is released. Maybe a couch gag competition as well. I loved it a year and a half ago when we had Superheroes month and would love to see a return of Superheroes month. I think we certainly need more community builds in Licenced.

I'd also love to see some more events. Personally I'd love to see a build Springfield community build, when the Minifigure series is released. Maybe a couch gag competition as well. I loved it a year and a half ago when we had Superheroes month and would love to see a return of Superheroes month. I think we certainly need more community builds in Licenced.

Seeing as how the past 5-6 episodes of the Simpsons (maybe more, I don't watch that often) had special couch gags and almost no episode this season had the traditional one, a couch gag competition is just begging to be made! And I was completely unaware that we had a Superheroes month here, was this before I joined (see the info under my avatar) if so, I wish I'd had gotten into the online community sooner.

Seeing as how the past 5-6 episodes of the Simpsons (maybe more, I don't watch that often) had special couch gags and almost no episode this season had the traditional one, a couch gag competition is just begging to be made! And I was completely unaware that we had a Superheroes month here, was this before I joined (see the info under my avatar) if so, I wish I'd had gotten into the online community sooner.

Ye it was about 8 months /9 months before you joined. I personally thought it was really good, there was a recreate a comic cover competition, a weekly caption competition and a avatar competition along with a few other bits, but I can't remember fully what they were. Even if we changed the theme to something like TMNT or Disney ( all the Pixar, Princesses and LR,POTC and PP) it would be great to see the forum get the spot light.

Ye it was about 8 months /9 months before you joined. I personally thought it was really good, there was a recreate a comic cover competition, a weekly caption competition and a avatar competition along with a few other bits, but I can't remember fully what they were. Even if we changed the theme to something like TMNT or Disney ( all the Pixar, Princesses and LR,POTC and PP) it would be great to see the forum get the spot light.

Sounds like a great idea! Bring it back!

I have an idea for a contest but I haven't had the time to finalize things and timing with other EB contests hasn't been good. I'll try to get that done as soon as possible since there seem to be a few people keen on a competition.

As far as a Simpsons contest or community build goes, let me think about it a few days and see what I can come up with. Maybe I can get something together.

I have to admit that I am going on Eurobricks to mostly see MOCs made by other and get some inspiration. While the majority of the sets I purchase are licensed, I am not building within that line.

Within the licensed forum there are too many topics that are about speculating about future themes. I would actually like if there was a subsection dedicated to MoCs.

I have to admit that I am going on Eurobricks to mostly see MOCs made by other and get some inspiration. While the majority of the sets I purchase are licensed, I am not building within that line.

Within the licensed forum there are too many topics that are about speculating about future themes. I would actually like if there was a subsection dedicated to MoCs.

A special MoC section sounds cool, but it would be a mammoth task moving all pre existing MoC topics there. It would take weeks maybe a couple of months to do.

Is there any news on the possible Simpsons community build or Competition? All the the Simpsons news over the last few days reminded me about it.

Sorry to bring up this old thing again...as it was started a year ago...

...but is there any news on the new Licensed banner yet? Anyone? Anyone? :grin:

Sorry to bring up this old thing again...as it was started a year ago...

...but is there any news on the new Licensed banner yet? Anyone? Anyone? :grin:

... Or the forum description?