Hi all,

I stumbled across this site about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it got me hooked the moment I saw some of the builds being put out. I started trawling through the pinned guild topics, checking out each post and the different MOCing styles that everyone had and even got side tracked into the classic castle side of things and the builds by Mark of Falworth.

The more I saw and learned, the more I wanted to sign up and try my hand. So finally I've plucked up the courage I suppose to jump in and the only thing left is picking the guild. From the start I'd been sucked towards avalonia because the bricks that I own suit that style of building and I'd even started planning a backstory and all of that for my sigfig but at the same time mitgardia's storyline and AoM and Hersir's challenges really piqued my interest.

Hence the deciding part, before I go jumping into one or the other I wanted to ask you all what you found more important in choosing a guild in terms of style of bricks, interest in the storyline, etc.

Cheers

Also sorry in advance if this isn't the right spot to post this, I'm sure you'll let us know if its not.

All you need to decide is which side of the trash talk you'd like to be. We Mitgardians are actually pretty good at it!

I am going to jump in and say this before Z does, but you are choosing the wrong guilds!!! Haha.

If you want to be a member in a faceless horde, go Mitgardia.

If you want to wear tights, go Avalonia.

If you want to hang out with monsters in the dark and some of the best builders in Historica, go to Nocturnus

If you want to join a multicultural family seeped in intellectual prowess, one which has the most varied opportunity to building types (including areas that are similar to all four other guilds) then Kaliphlin is the guild for you.

On a more serious note to your question, the real answer is join the guild you will have the most fun in. Even if your bricks are suited for Avalonia, you can still come up with builds in Nocturnus and vice versa. There is no hard rule that says you have to build a certain way.

Besides, I am clearly an unbiased spectator here.

Edited by SkaForHire

From what you posted, I'd say Avalonia may be the best choice for you. Mitgardia has several neat mini-challenges going on now, but every guild will have many neat mini-challenges as time goes on (and I'm guessing both Avalonia and Nocturnus will have some coming very soon). Pretty much pick whichever guild you like best overall, all of them are good choices.

Mitgardia rules though :wink:

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, but I chose Mitgardia because I really wanted to participate in the AoM stuff... As soon as I have access to my Lego again (I just moved in to an other house) I'll post my sigfig and background story.

I chose Mitgardia

Which was a really smart decission after all!

Obviously, the best guild is Nocturnus.

But having said that, Avalonia is pretty good if you've got the right bricks- plus they've got community builds going.

As you can see, we all have our opinions about the advantages of our own guilds. :laugh: But, from an economical standpoint, types of bricks do give a good compass to follow. I suggest that you go with the guild that has the landscape you want to build in most. You should look at the Historica map on the wiki page here along with the guild maps on each homepage, if you haven't already, to get a feel for how diverse the landscapes of each guild are. Its not like the only forests are in Avalonia, or the only mountains are in Mitgardia. This also aids in furthering the landscape techniques you may wish to develop.

Hope this helps.

Clearly, Kaliphlin outweighs all others. That being said, Avalonia's not a bad pick, neither is Mitgardia. It's true that each guild does major in a specific kind of climate, but it's by no means hard and fast - there are snowy mountains, deserts, forests, and even swamps in most of the guilds (particularly in Kaliphlin).

As far as the mini-challenges, most guilds have those every once in a while. Kaliphlin has two going on right now, the Sultan's gate challenge and the Petraea University Doctorate of Historica Program (which however is open to all guild members).

Avalonia is going to have more mini challenges as well! We have some community builds running all the time like building up our capital Albion.

And Avalonia is in need of new members. In Mitgardia you would be one of hundreds, in Avalonia you are special!! :classic:

And Avalonia is in need of new members. In Mitgardia you would be one of hundreds, in Avalonia you are special!! :classic:

Ah, de Gothia, you're too nice on yourself :wink:

In Mitgardia you would be one of hundreds, in Avalonia you are special!! :classic:

Hahah :)

Regarding AoM.. Wow that attracts many new members i see... We got great marketing team i guess! (And you can still build avalonian-style stuff at the south side of Mitgardia, my brick collection doesnt have much white too for snow)

But speaking seriously if you are 50/50 I guess it would be better to help guilds lacking new members

Back when I joined, I couldn't decide between Kaliphin (I loved the Pharaoh's Quest line and the fact they have that little 'chinese conclave' on their map) and Mitgardia (I have a lot of grey and white bricks from before my dark age, and their viking and rural feel for builds).

So it really boils down to some details yes, I can't actually say why exactly I went for Mitgardia over Kaliphim, but I haven't regretted my choice yet, as the 'Books' give you a chance to build and brick in every style and every country.

And so do free builds. I've almost bulit more in other guilds than my own so far, though I plan to rectify that soon :tongue:

Obviously, the best guild is Nocturnus.

Yeah I'm not much of a pie man soooooo I think Avolania will be me after all. I'm throwing together my sig fig and stuff now :grin:

Cheers for the input, soccer kid you probably swayed me the most haha