Lazarus

Fiddel Yard / Tunnel

Hello All.

Some of you would of see my layout work so far over the past year or so. For an update I am coming close to the end of the main layout, but i needed a fiddle yard for my trains. I was just going to have it connect to the tunnel on the main layout an just go onto a table, but my hands got designing and it ended up turning into a 8000 piece tunnel entrance to the fiddle yard what will not be displayed with the layout.

Just go the hill and tunnel done after a few weeks, then moving onto what will be in the fiddle yard.

This is what i have this far, it is probably a year off getting built as I see have a lot of other projects to get done before I really need this like more trains and rolling stock before a bigger layout.

Once this is complete my layout should be getting close to 6-7m x 2m about 300,000 pieces all of my own this is a one man build.

And thanks to Murdock for the original tunnel design.

Links to my layout

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88999&hl=

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81400&hl=

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80116&hl=

thanks

Matt

ovbt.png

jyqp.png

akak.png

jg0d.png

ts5b.png

8zax.png

87un.png

Edited by Lazarus

Great detailing on the hills/tunnels. One thought, perhaps put an industry or loading dock somewhere in this yard as an extra destination for your trains (without limiting the ability to simply use it for storage too).

How will you access the points for derailments? Does part of the top lift off or the back swing out?

The tunnels look short enough to stick an arm into to recover derailments...

Great design too btw.

Edited by Andy Glascott

- Small tunnels no mayor put an arm in.

- All my points are controlled by remote switches, I will hook LEDs up to these ones so i know what direction they are going in.

- In the tunnel there is two Hard right switches so yes point modding.

- I am going to look around at some UK fiddle yard pics soon and get any idea of how a working one looks.

Been working on some lights today, not many pics around of UK yards and buildings but the ones i found had spot lights around the show.

pu68.png

Absolutely stunning. Seeing how well the rest of your layout looks "in the brick," I can't wait to see this added to it.

What angle are those tunnel portals at? Are they held down by turntables? Something else? Or are they free-floating? The fact that they're at an angle makes the piece quite interesting. Very well done.

The track geometry is throwing me for a spin. How does that work out with the angle?

Yup, your floodlights probably need to be twice as tall with the lights angled down a lot further than the ones you have pictured. (Think football pitch lighting, thats basically how they opperate over an entire square mile or so yard here).

Looking at your pics, I'd be really concerned about the deflection angle on the points inside the tunnel....basically the amount of front over hang you may get from one loco coming through the points, looks like it may collide with the interior tunnel wall

Edited by Bricktrix

I held the faces in there by using 1x1 bricks and rotating the portal to the place i wanted and then putting as many 1x1 bricks in the places they match. only about 3-4 a portal but as its on big mash of bricks they wont move the hill and roof and sides will hold it all in place.

To give you an idea on how the switches will be, due to them being customer I used straights and bends to give me the idea of how they will look. Also my ballast makes my track width about 12 studs wide so most locos dont even over hang over the ballast but to be due I made the double tunnel wider and there is nothing but a face on the single so clearance should be good.

See below.

59d5.png

0umx.png

h4vj.png

Ok did a bit more work on the flood light, managed to angle a little more with a different bucket piece. Will be able to do more in real life due to the 1x1 clip piece is hitting the bucket and could just be trimmed down to make it angle more.

Some pics also added a bit more height i think it about right, some pics with trains next to it.

ai09.png

znaa.png

0xfj.png

Edited by Lazarus

Bit more work of stuff to go into the fiddle yard.

A pumping station for Oil/fuel, fills in space and give a train a reason to be there.

zoba.png

d1wc.png

v6aj.png

qbky.png

iq5v.png

Nice ideas and very nice landscaping. On the pictures with the red track it looks very tight inside the tunnel though; if you have carriages with any overhang they'll catch the walls in the tunnel.

I've got similar flood lights on my yard. Can't find a picture of them now but they use this part at the top to clip lights onto:

30033.jpg

Ahh good idea Duq will give that a try.

I will have to wait till its built I think it should be ok as most of the inner walls are removed. there is one point that might hit there is above the rear points motor when I might try and cut off.

Been working on some lights today, not many pics around of UK yards and buildings but the ones i found had spot lights around the show.

pu68.png

working flood lights on my on station

:wink:

13.jpg

a very nice

pumping station for Oil/fuel

:thumbup:

Edited by patje

Have you found images of Toton depot? It's run by DB Schenker, used as a maintenance depot but used to be a huge freight marshalling yard. Still has a lot of floodlights etc. This image search might help, and if you want detailed pics of any of the light stands let me know I can go and take photos for you it's only a 10 minute walk from me.

Edited by Andy Glascott