efferman

Axle Collection Thread

Interesting solutions, but where and how shock absorbers will connect?

Posted (edited)

@Jurss Whoops, I was silly and forgot to put them in the LXF file. They connect on the 9-stud long axle with the bushings and also on the lower suspension arm. I will fix the file and picture.

Edit: Fixed original post!

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Issue with having the suspension attached to the lower control arm instead of the upper is that when you push the suspension many times, the bottom ball join stud loosens up and starts to deteriorate due to constant pinch as the stud slips out of the hole but stays inside while compressed. 

1 minute ago, Mechbuilds said:

Issue with having the suspension attached to the lower control arm instead of the upper is that when you push the suspension many times, the bottom ball join stud loosens up and starts to deteriorate due to constant pinch as the stud slips out of the hole but stays inside while compressed. 

I put half-stud thick axle beams on either side to eliminate that issue and it seems to work fine on the physical model.

Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

I put half-stud thick axle beams on either side to eliminate that issue and it seems to work fine on the physical model.

That works!

Hello,

back building lego after something like 35 years...  I'm a bit rusty. Please be smooth.

I would like to modify the corvette ZR1 model (42093) by adding independent suspensions.

Note that this is the buwizz version (this will have an impact for the rear axle), and that I'm totally fine to remove the fake engine.

I know that on that scale it has little no meaning having independent suspensions, but I'm OCD for that.

Let's start from the front axle.

The following constraints apply:

• Width: is 15 -17 studs (including wheels).
  • It should be no more than 5 studs tall
  • cross axle for steering is arriving from the bottom of the car (wheel-center-level)
  • Wheels are 30.4 mm x 20 mm: I'm going for the 3 pins connection, but if not suitable for a compact solution I will stay with the original no pin holes 30.4 mm x 14mm rims.

I started from an Efferman's LDD file, but I soon stumbled into various issues:

• wheels seems not big enough for the leverages (they are too near to the ground)
  • track rod is 6m that's a big issue also for a compact 

Any help is appreciated.

regards.

6 hours ago, letsbuild said:

@mudseason There are a lot of options available if you go through the threads labelled [TC18].

Thanks a lot, [TC18] is an interesting set of threads.

The timeout-anti-bot makes quick browsing quite challenging, I fear that, despite the lockdown, I won't be able to go through them efficiently enough to get to the point in a finite time.

Unless I'm lucky e.g. someone reading my post already had similar goals and would point me to the right direction.

For the moment I proceed with my slow reading... the few posts I was able to check where either overly complex (steering + driving + suspensions) or missing a part ( - suspension).

Thanks,

KR.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mudseason said:

the few posts I was able to check where either overly complex (steering + driving + suspensions) or missing a part ( - suspension).

That's because having steering, drive, and suspension in a 15-17 stud space is incredibly challenging and involves some clever tricks. 

As for the anti-timeout, I have no clue what that is, so I can't help you there.

That said, I'm trying to develop the same for a Skyline model I'm making. I'll be sure to post it here if I manage :)

Edited by letsbuild

I'm looking for two axles that have these features:

-XL drive front axle (motor mounted on axle)
-XL drive rear axle (motor mounted on axle)
-M motor steering (motor mounted on axle)
-Portal hubs + claas tyres

Heavy duty rock climbing axles.
XL motors on axles put all the weight of the moc near the tyres so it's not top heavy. 
These axles need to be joined in a central chassis so each axle has near 45 degrees of flex.

I'm already trying to figure out how @PunkTacoNYC Made the axles in hes carrot crawler moc.
It's somewhat what i'm looking for.