Hello eurobricker’s is there anyone who has a strong 13 wide suspension axle or independent suspension  setup that will work with these wheels part 15413 Tyre 49.53 x 20? Oh not to mention I would like one with steering as well preferably.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:37 PM, Dorino said:

Thank you all for very fast replies! 

I actually went with @efferman design and it works perfectly! Only missing part was Technic Plate 1 x 6 with Toothed Ends but i built it with thin 1x6 and gear rack.

PXL_20210214_143249478

Little update on 6 wide steering. I ended up ordering two of Technic Plate 1 x 6 with Toothed Ends and redesigned it once again. It works even better now.

PXL_20210315_130622155

Hi,

In yet another alternate from 42099, a trophy truck, I wanted a floating axle with long travel using only the available short hard springs. I designed an axle which has the drive motors built in, and has two degrees of freedom using the large turntable. The springs are also mounted in way to allow for tilting to the sides as well. Not as fancy as with a ball joint, but still works.

640x480.png

Here's how it looks built into the frame:

640x480.png

640x480.png

More info, pictures/video on Rebrickable.

Let me know what you think!

Has anyone made a solid axle with the new diff yet?  
I need a 15 studs wide solid axle with suspension for an offroad truck. Can't figure out how to build one.. 

(EDIT: With lockable diff i mean.. I don't need any mechanism to lock the diff, i'll do it by finger.)

Edited by Mechbuilds

2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Has anyone made a solid axle with the new diff yet?  
I need a 15 studs wide solid axle with suspension for an offroad truck. Can't figure out how to build one.. 

(EDIT: With lockable diff i mean.. I don't need any mechanism to lock the diff, i'll do it by finger.)

I did, but even smaller - 13 studs. It is used in my new MOC, not presented yet, but soon :) But I took inspiration from this, so I recommend: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-38966/moc_cupboard/13-stud-front-rear-axles-with-diff-lock/#details

Hi there, long time reader first time poster. Will introduce myself later ;)

When I saw the steering solution of Dorino I decided to register and reply :). What you are building is actually blocking the steering. The streeing rectangle changes to a parallelogram and thus the the steering racks get closer (hope my little drawing below explains it :). This pulls the rack in front against your parts holding it together. You should try to get in front of the racks with the axle fixation to avoid collision. -> To the axle streering cracks out there please correct me if I am wrong.

regards m2fel

Bild1.jpg.b72f0c52a5131bd41ebb66801850ffb5.jpg

PXL_20210315_130622155

Edited by m2fel

Thanks @m2fel for the comment :)

You are absolutely right, steering rectangle changes to a parallelogram but it still allows to achieve "fair enough" steering angle. Just out of curiosity i tried your suggestion and it surely creates bigger steering angle. I could add something between the rack and the brick so it doesn't go all the way like on the photo.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-IRUQS6a89u290zZq

Edit. I just realized i have been using Technic Beam 1 x 4 Thin with Stud Connector the wrong way around, and i completely missed that from @efferman idea. I will rebuild it once again and see how it goes .
Here is how it looks with that half stud gap

PXL_20210320_135642292

Edited by Dorino

Hi!

Does anybody have an axle using part 23801 and 57515 with 2 shocks and about 1 stud off the ground, about 7 studs in length and suitable for the new 1:10th scale wheels? I am looking at using it for a front steered axle in a car with a front V12, so there needs to be space...   and it also needs to be driven...   

Thanks in advance

Edited by Scoar Sonander

On 3/15/2021 at 2:30 PM, Dorino said:

Little update on 6 wide steering. I ended up ordering two of Technic Plate 1 x 6 with Toothed Ends and redesigned it once again. It works even better now.

Hello, Dorino I have a question, sorry for bothering but I came back into Lego after few years; I dont recall everything correctly. Could U please tell me what's the entire electric system? Engines,battery,receiver?
Your vehicle is amazing; I'm totally fallen in love with it; this scale cars are best in my opinion. Thank You in advance

Would be nice for future axles added in this collection to include the suspension so we can see how to attach it to a chassis. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:01 PM, Scoar Sonander said:

about 1 stud off the ground

That would be easyest part

about 7 studs in length

what should be 7 studs long?

front steered axle in a car with a front V12, so there needs to be space...   and it also needs to be driven...

Really hard to combine, as there needs to fitted somewhere differential. If You will put engine behind that axle ( I suppose, that car needs to be low), it could be already too long, engine would be inside cabin.

Oh. Sorry, I forgot to say that I already made an axle that fits all these criteria. I will post a Studio file later on. 

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

That would be easyest part

what should be 7 studs long?

Really hard to combine, as there needs to fitted somewhere differential. If You will put engine behind that axle ( I suppose, that car needs to be low), it could be already too long, engine would be inside cabin.

By seven studs in length I mean the wishbones 

Not sure if this fits here, but for the record - steering with a string and rubber bands:

source.gif

Full build video:

Hi everyone,

I am planning a tri-drive logging truck, 18 or 19 studs total width with tires. Front steered axle plus three rear powered non-steered axles. Does anyone have a good design for powered suspended rear axles that can be installed in such a tri-drive configuration?

Most designs I have found seem to be limited to two powered rear axles as they are either:

- On a tandem bogie, so either way you connect power (through first axle or from over each axle) prevents you from connecting a third axle.

- With two transmission lines that drop down to the first and then second axle independently. Either laid horizontally side by side (i.e. Ingmar's truck T2) or vertically on top of each other (i.e. D3K's 6x6 truck). A third line wouldn't fit horizontally, and if you try to put it vertically, then the angle for the U-joint for the third axle would be too aggressive.

The only design I've found so far that may work is this one from Lego Technic Embodiment and I am planning to build it and test it. I'd appreciate any comments on it. This is an interesting construction, I am just afraid the 16-tooth gears may slip under heavy load as the suspension moves up and down changing the angle between the 16-tooth gears. It also requires more headspace above each axle for the mechanics, so I would need to get creative to maintain a realistic frame height. 

Would appreciate any guidance from someone who has sorted this out previously.

Hi everyone.

I would like to ask you for an idea of a steering axle for this rear axle:

a6b87656dc9226dec4484b6eb908523f.jpg

Requirements:

I need an dependent axis. There should be four studs from the wheel (center) mount to the frame. The axle should be thirteen pins wide.

Here is the link for the rear axle:

Rear axle.lxf

Does anyone have ideas to get a compact rear axle that uses two buggy motors for propulsion and has a working suspension?  15 studs between hubs.
07pj23Zl.png

Edited by Mechbuilds

On 4/29/2021 at 9:19 PM, marshmallow said:

Hi everyone,

I am planning a tri-drive logging truck, 18 or 19 studs total width with tires. Front steered axle plus three rear powered non-steered axles. Does anyone have a good design for powered suspended rear axles that can be installed in such a tri-drive configuration?

Most designs I have found seem to be limited to two powered rear axles as they are either:

- On a tandem bogie, so either way you connect power (through first axle or from over each axle) prevents you from connecting a third axle.

- With two transmission lines that drop down to the first and then second axle independently. Either laid horizontally side by side (i.e. Ingmar's truck T2) or vertically on top of each other (i.e. D3K's 6x6 truck). A third line wouldn't fit horizontally, and if you try to put it vertically, then the angle for the U-joint for the third axle would be too aggressive.

The only design I've found so far that may work is this one from Lego Technic Embodiment and I am planning to build it and test it. I'd appreciate any comments on it. This is an interesting construction, I am just afraid the 16-tooth gears may slip under heavy load as the suspension moves up and down changing the angle between the 16-tooth gears. It also requires more headspace above each axle for the mechanics, so I would need to get creative to maintain a realistic frame height. 

Would appreciate any guidance from someone who has sorted this out previously.

A bit late maybe, but I designed one for the tri-drive use case specifically. It’s posted one page back: 

On 9/10/2021 at 2:19 PM, Jurss said:

Use each buggy motor as main suspensin arm

I think this would be a good choice. It would give me a citroen CV style suspension which lets the car lean when turning hard. 
I wonder if it will be good for drifting though.. I'm building a hotrod that is capable of drifting. The front axle is setup for maximum grip in oversteer situation.

I'm still trying to figure out if i should go with a solid axle instead to lessen the grip on the rear. Don't really know enough about the geometry to decide. 

Whit that kind of setup You will not need to bother about gearing issues etc. For drifting also should be OK, if You will make it pretty stiff.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, ludovisser said:

A bit late maybe, but I designed one for the tri-drive use case specifically. It’s posted one page back: 

Hi @ludovisser, thank you for sending this. I don't know how I missed it the first time, as I had spent a lot of time researching solutions here. So I actually ended up finally building that chassis last week using the Lego Technic Embodiment's design as a base, added the new differentials to improve gearing down, and it's worked reasonably well, carrying a lot of weight on 4 axles (it's a logging truck), except for the drawback of the frame height being too high. I'm still working on improving the front steering axle and steering geometry.

I liked your design, I think it could maybe even work well with the new 5:1 wheel hubs with some modifications. I'm concerned about that crankshaft part as someone else mentioned, in particular when the axle is going over an obstacle on one side only and it twists a little as the suspension is activated. I also can't fully visualize from the Stud.Io file where the driveline will flex as the suspension goes up and down, it would probably be easier to build it in real life to see. Have you built a truck using it already, how did it behave?

@marshmallow maybe you missed it because it was only showing one axle ;-)

I haven't had any issues with that crankshaft part: I have the axle on a studded-beam chassis (chassis only, rest still to be built...) and it only has about a single plate-height of travel. Mine is a manual model, your mileage may vary with RC.