Heya! I made a neat little front axle, It's a driven and steered live axle designed for an upcoming project (no promises, I suck at finishing things). I've been away for a while, but I feel like I did good on this one :)

Stud.io file

Spoiler

unknown.png

@AnananasPaj

Since you have embraced gear rack with 2 liftarms it would be wise to connect just a gear rack with light bluish gray pins and remove two simple axle perpendicular connectors because your turning would be very limited...

(That is why I prefer conservative approach - building with bricks)

I think it's the easiest to just copy and modify a Reddit post by me in here:

Techniques needed.  

I guess this one is quite hard to deal, but does anyone know a technique to build a pendular axle that steers, can take portals (planets), uses suspension and has a (locked) differential? I know I'm aiming high but if someone knows something to unite all of this, would you please be so kind and let me know?

On 6/27/2014 at 10:46 PM, tibivi said:

Here is my idea;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibivi/14539336353/in/set-72157634384848421

It is a front axle with drive,suspension and advanced geometry like caster, kingpin inclination.

Here's the ldd attached

Tibivi

frontaxledrivengeometrie.lxf

Has anyone built this? Not sure how to integrate a differential + steering into this design. Looks really promising tho

54 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

That file won't open. In Stud.io it seems to have no bricks. LDD says it cannot open it. frontaxledrivengeometrie.lxf

It looks very interesting!

File seems to have gottten corrupted, opening it as a zip reveals that it's a completely empty folder, nothing in it at all. Rebuilt it in case anyone wants to just import it rather than use the image: frontaxledrivengeometrie_by_tibivi_rebuilt_syclone.lxf

I haven't been super active lately, due to moving house, changing job, etc., but I thought I'd share something I've been working on-and-off the last couple (*ahem* many) months: a solid driven axle for trucks. The reason it took so long is because I rebuilt it a gazillion times, probably because my requirements were difficult to meet (at least for me :wink:). It had to be 19 studs wide, use only common parts only, and it had to be "chain-able", i.e. I wanted to be able to use the same axle for a 4x2 and a 8x6 or 10x6 truck.

Finally I managed:

solid-axle1.png

I'd be happy to receive feedback on it, if anyway would bother to build it :sweet: 

As shown, the frame should be 5 studs wide, but it's easily modified for 4. Also, leaving the yellow bushes off the axles allows you to put 64.2 wheel a bit closer to the frame (replace the 3L pin with bush for a regular pin) for a slightly-over 18 studs wide axle (replace the 9L axles with 8L obviously).

A stud.io file can be found here. I found that stud.io has a pretty awesome instruction builder these days, so I made PDF instructions (here) as a learning experience.

@ludovisser this in nice and relatively simple design. I'll probably use something from your axle when I start making 21 studs wide truck based on 68.7x27 tires (1:15 scale). Still haven't decide to wether to make 6 x 2 or 6 x 4...

9 hours ago, ludovisser said:

'd be happy to receive feedback on it

I'm littlebit worried about those crankshaft parts, how well they will hold the load on those halfstud connections to that 4L axle.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:49 AM, Jurss said:

I'm littlebit worried about those crankshaft parts, how well they will hold the load on those halfstud connections to that 4L axle.

Agree; instead crankshaft part to have half a stud difference this part would be better choice

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6575#T=C

...but he gave me an idea for future...hm if I do not decide to make pf RC truck...

On 1/25/2021 at 6:49 AM, Jurss said:

The piece is maybe a weak point, but it holds up just fine in my model, which is manual. I agree that for RC models, specifically off road, it is probably not the most robust solution. The "egg piece" @I_Igor suggest can work better, or maybe just bracing the L-beams horizontally can help as well. Thanks for the feedback :classic: 

Hello everyone, i recently started working on my new moc, 6+ wide powered up vehicle. 
As long as rear axle is not a problem i am having troubles with steering. 

PXL_20210214_133340019

Whatever i have right now is not the worst but i am sure it could be better. As you can imagine gear skips on the rack.
Does any of you have photos or instructions for 6 wide steering axle?  
Or is there a way to program Powered Up M motor to rotate only so much, or implement return to center steering?

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Dorino said:

Or is there a way to program Powered Up M motor to rotate only so much, or implement return to center steering?

Thank you!

No, the M motor is a dumb motor without any position sensors.

Hi everyone,

In an alternate build of 42099, I wanted to create a floating axle rear suspension. I found @Sariel's live axle in SandRail interesting, and the set would have had enough links and tow-ball pins to build it, however, I found it a bit wiggly, mainly stabilized by the driveshaft, which I think may put some stress on it in a larger, heavier model. Also, I wanted to use the large turntable for something interesting, so I came up with the following design:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Would you still call this a live axle? It has freedom of movement in two directions: rotation by the turntable, and up-down movement by the 4 parallel links, which keeps the axle centered and prevents it from tilting forward/backward. The two together allow one end of the axle to move up/down while the other stays in place. It is quite robust and provides good enough articulation for the rear axle (wheels up to the rear fenders). It looks like this built into the full model, the chassis around the springs is quite strong:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

What do you think of it?

You can find more images/video on Rebrickable, I have tested it on some real terrain.

Edited by gyenesvi

@gyenesvi That's pretty nice! I like the rear suspension. Side profile looks pretty good as well, but the front really isn't for me... I think I would have used the round clear pieces as headlights.

55 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I think I would have used the round clear pieces as headlights.

Thanks, about the round clear pieces, I have used those as headlights twice in my previous builds out of the same set (you can check them out on Rebrickable), so I tried something new this time. And I wanted some aggressive looks at the front for this one, that's why the massive flat face with the bone-like grill.

Edited by gyenesvi

Finally, I've started to make a studio file on my Porches 959 model ( sorry for being a year late :))  but that will be in a week or so!! (Just started a new job)  here is a quick video of the front Mcpherson suspension on a 42093 Corvette scale !!! 

Edited by sirslayer

Leaf sprung, double drive walking beam, such as you might find on a heavy duty truck (Hayes, Pacific etc.)

Apologies for there being some much frame in the shots, but the setup doesn't make a whole lot of sense without it

Currently designed around 68.7x27 tires - could be made a bit more robust if using larger tires / if you're not so worried about overall width.

51010037452_6eef8fc3c0_b.jpgPXL_20210306_193533927~2 by Brickend, on Flickr

51010036402_2b61e24ce9_b.jpgPXL_20210306_193616694~2 by Brickend, on Flickr

51009224493_6c788e3116_b.jpgPXL_20210306_193845826~2 by Brickend, on Flickr

51010034182_81864edb1a_b.jpgPXL_20210306_193705392~2 by Brickend, on Flickr

51009226818_8a17b21ca7_b.jpgPXL_20210306_193636464~2 by Brickend, on Flickr

Edited by Brickend
Changed photo order

Speaking about frames, why didn't you use 5 x 7 frames to house differential?

Clearance and personal preference on looks.

I prefer it more old-school and diffs shouldn't be unnecessarily long rectangles