2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

I changed the suspension arms to the beam version instead. Now the hard part is figuring out how to make it steer.

I suppose this one?

The rest could be done like on 42077 set. If you use linked steering arms with 5 studs length and for steering use links 6l with towballs, then steering rack should be 3 studs away (Pythagoras theorem)

I've decided to contribute adding my leaf springs axles used on the MAN TGS. 

They are all driven and steered. 19 studs wide (same scale as the Arocs for reference)

This is true leaf springs set up, requires no shock absorbers and works amazingly. On the rear tandem I was able to put a load of 1.8 KG and compression was around 90%. So perfect for heavy duty trucks. 

The front axles don't have an ackerman geometry but they do steer at different angles! 

If anyone can help on how to attach the Studio and LDD files I'd be happy to provide them.

REAR-LEAFSPRING-AXLES-DRIVEN.png

REAR-LEAFSPRING-AXLES-DRIVEN-2.png

REAR-LEAFSPRING-AXLES-DRIVEN-3.png

REAR-LEAFSPRING-AXLES-DRIVEN-4.png

I got some more 11 stud wide and 13 stud wide steering and suspension solutions using Lego 49.5mm and 43.5mm tiny technic tires. These axles have been tested under high power RC models, so that means they can take a licking and keeps on ticking on beat. The first axle set on the model is for those who needs ground clearance on such small scale ..  

Here are some examples.. and the last set is non driven!! 

49184729078_aa6570adb6_k.jpgLego Technic 11 and 13 stud wide steering by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49185228366_cc1232761e_k.jpgLego Technic 11 and 13 stud wide steering by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

On 12/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, TheItalianBrick said:

If anyone can help on how to attach the Studio and LDD files I'd be happy to provide them.

You can publish them on bricksafe.com

Help guys. I need a tough live axle for a moc. 

7VQ0dOxl.png

I can't figure out a solid axle that wouldn't bend or have parts crack due to weight. 
At this point of time, the axle can be shortened by 2 studs if necessary. Currently it has 6 long axles coming from the diff. But i can make it work with 5 long axles. 

It will be XL driven and servo steered. It will steer both rear and front axles. 

Also if possible. A gear reduction can be added between the diff and joint. 
12t to 20t. This will achieve a total 5:1 gear reduction which will increase torque. 
If not possible, then i can try to make the gearbox between the diff and XL motor. 
But what i'm looking for is a very sturdy live axle that doesn't bend or break axle mount parts. 

The motor will be mounted to the axle so i haven't decided between live axle or a swing axle. 

Perhaps something like this 

33084819206_7ee8044acc_m.jpg

It is similar to Lego Unimog 8110 solution, but is for motorized version made by @Pat-Ard

Built a simple steered axle for a semi truck I'm working on. I think I'll just mount it with the shocks and the other side of the motor, should take minimal space and be robust.

FdWfjps.png

qmkEarS.png

ANuX5H8.png

I'd love to make it shorter, as it is right now it a little too long to be behind the driven axle, but I couldn't really figure out a way of doing it without decreasing the ground clearance, or increasing the height of the assembly. I want to keep it as low as possible because I want the axle to be liftable. Any suggestions for that? 

Turning the motor sideways and moving it one stud down shouldn't decrease the ground clearance that much, that might be the way to go.

Nice and simple. 

Wish the first post could have a massive list of links to each post of axle so it would be a nice directory where to find suitable axles categorized by width and length. 

Has anybody made an axle that has the differential fixed in the chassis of the moc and the portal hubs are connected to the chassis by springs and those go up and down? 

EDIT:
It could be possible by having two long axles and the hub sliding up and down by those axles. 
Not sure about structural integrity how that would work.. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

4 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@Mechbuilds Is this what you are looking for?

No, that's independent suspension. I meant that the portal hub goes vertically and no outwards movement. 
So naturally sliding up and down on an axle would be how to go with on this. 

@Beck I suggest you to use new 7 x 11 frames to make axle more stiffer (and simpler) :wink:

@Mechbuilds I have never heard of something like that. What kind of application would you use it in? Why does the diff need to be fixed, and the portal axles need to slide with no other movement?

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

@Mechbuilds I have never heard of something like that. What kind of application would you use it in? Why does the diff need to be fixed, and the portal axles need to slide with no other movement?

Well first it's a challenge if it can be built. 
Secondly it would create less vibrations in the vehicle due to every single wheel working independently. 
So basically a smoother ride. 

It would be significantly smoother because independent suspension works on a hinge or a lever. So when it goes up, it widens a little bit and then narrows when it goes up all the way due to the hinge and lever mechanism of it. 
Having it slide up and down on a pole would mean that the vehicle is completely stationary with no sideways forces when a tyre goes up and down. 

Think of the magical bose suspension.. 

1 minute ago, Mechbuilds said:

Well first it's a challenge if it can be built. 
Secondly it would create less vibrations in the vehicle due to every single wheel working independently. 
So basically a smoother ride. 

It would be significantly smoother because independent suspension works on a hinge or a lever. So when it goes up, it widens a little bit and then narrows when it goes up all the way due to the hinge and lever mechanism of it. 
Having it slide up and down on a pole would mean that the vehicle is completely stationary with no sideways forces when a tyre goes up and down. 

Think of the magical bose suspension.. 

I disagree. Any type of suspension relying on sliding surfaces compared to a lever and pivot will have much higher friction. I see no case where the small amount of sideways motion would justify such complex suspension.

14 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I disagree. Any type of suspension relying on sliding surfaces compared to a lever and pivot will have much higher friction. I see no case where the small amount of sideways motion would justify such complex suspension.

Well to be honest i don't think it would be complex.. Just that long axle with end stop going trough a couple of beam holes and add springs on the axle. 

Just now, Mechbuilds said:

Well to be honest i don't think it would be complex.. Just that long axle with end stop going trough a couple of beam holes and add springs on the axle. 

If so than please do build it, I would like to see how it compares to normal independent suspension. Remember to make it driven and steered.

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

If so than please do build it, I would like to see how it compares to normal independent suspension. Remember to make it driven and steered.

Possible with macpherson struts. 

EDIT:

First prototype:
02LZM1sl.png

Just add springs. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

How do the axles get attached? Pivots or fixed? Where do they go on the front with the sliding axle as shown? I'm still confused on the benefits over the challenges listed by @Zerobricks

9 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

How do the axles get attached? Pivots or fixed? Where do they go on the front with the sliding axle as shown? I'm still confused on the benefits over the challenges listed by @Zerobricks

They get attached to the frame by the axle holes in the beam to axle connector. The diff gets between the axles. Using CV joints combined with U joints so the axles can slide inwards as the portal hub moves up and down.
This way the tyre can only go up and down and not swing outward and inward. Spring is put to the axle. 

I think the upper connector in the front portal hubs should be switched around to reduce sticking.

Benefit is a moc that's completely level as one tyre is lifted up on top of a rock or something. 
It's all in theory. Don't have the parts and time to test it in real life. But this could be an idea that somebody could improve upon.