47 minutes ago, efferman said:

Could you please share the lxf so we can test  it?

i added a link to my dropbox

Thanks for your feedback.

I build it...

I think it handles the torque since the model will be very small.

The main problem I did not think about is, that steering the wheels also turns them. This effect is way worse than having no differential. So I doubt that my idea to have separate motors for the left and the right side of the vehicle is the best. 

Here's another great axle from @efferman. He designed it for my need. 
-13 studs from tyre to tyre. 
-Non driven
-2.5 studs of ground clearance.
-Good steering angle. 
-Durable

Qy1QYvol.png

Does anybody have any tips on an 13 stud wide rear axle? 
This is what i came up with:

gC9w7tgl.png

Very heavy duty and motor on axle. Always locked so no diff. 
The speed and torque can be modified by changing the gearing on the portal hubs. 

It's a crude design but compact i guess. It's hard to figure out a suspension for this axle though. And how to attach the XL motor so it won't just fall off. 

Does anybody have any 13 stud wide designs (from tire to tire.) (i guess it's technically 19 studs if you count the tire width.)
What i need is an axle + suspension so i know how to attach it. I can also mount the motor to the body too. 
(i'm using the front axle that @efferman posted.)

Edited by Mechbuilds

1 hour ago, Mechbuilds said:

Does anybody have any tips on an 13 stud wide rear axle? 
This is what i came up with:

Very heavy duty and motor on axle. Always locked so no diff. 
The speed and torque can be modified by changing the gearing on the portal hubs. 

It's a crude design but compact i guess. It's hard to figure out a suspension for this axle though. And how to attach the XL motor so it won't just fall off. 

Does anybody have any 13 stud wide designs (from tire to tire.) (i guess it's technically 19 studs if you count the tire width.)
What i need is an axle + suspension so i know how to attach it. I can also mount the motor to the body too. 
(i'm using the front axle that @efferman posted.)

Just use a 5x7 frame like 42030 does.

I am really not very good at this, but how does that rear axle work? To me it looks like the two wheels would rotate in opposite directions.

53 minutes ago, Runeman said:

I am really not very good at this, but how does that rear axle work? To me it looks like the two wheels would rotate in opposite directions.

No no, the gray gear is a "dummy" gear. It is there only for support and look ;)

21 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Just use a 5x7 frame like 42030 does.

Well a swinging rear axle could work. But i was thinking more of that the rear axle + xl motor would be hanging from springs and those ball cup arms so it would also have up and down play and sideways swing. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Has anyone managed to come up with anything heavy-duty (e.g. live axle with mounted servo; driven and steered independent suspension with three or more springs) using the new planetary hubs? I got a set of them and I'm finding them very frustrating to implement, but it could be due to ramping senility.

Edited by suffocation

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

Has anyone managed to come up with anything heavy-duty (e.g. live axle with mounted servo; driven and steered independent suspension with three or more springs) using the new planetary hubs? I got a set of them and I'm finding them very frustrating to implement, but it could be due to ramping senility.

Yes, check here:

I will start working on LDD file and video soon.

Edited by Zerobricks

On 9/2/2019 at 1:28 AM, Zerobricks said:

Yes, check here [snip]

Thank you! :wub:

I tried to come up with a live axle for my rough terrain crane reboot but found it really hard to stop the arms from bending under weight: that extra pinhole they included to make Ackerman easy for noobs is a nuisance. Anyway, this is what I came up with: hopefully some of the countless builders far more skilled than me will improve on it.

(This version has no Ackermann as the crane I designed it for is going to have crab steering).

1280x585.jpg

1280x1357.jpg

1280x777.jpg

1280x1300.jpg

1280x935.jpg

Here is a heavy duty axle i designed for my truck project. 

22wqqjTl.png

It can handle the massive torque of the XL motor paired with buwizz ludicrous mode. And you have the option to not only move from Slow-Normal-Fast-Ludicrous modes but also gearing options from 1:1, 1,6:1 and 3:1 after the 1,6:1 reduction after the XL motor offcourse. 

But i need a little help with it. 
Where and how should i mount the springs for it so i get a suspension. Also how do i mount the ball cup socket beams so it doesn't wobble and flex.
I have the LFX if anybody has any ideas?

Might be a bit offtopic, but the new rims from defender allow you to create a custom hubs with a deeper steering point. Depending if you use the bearing element to securely attach the wheels to the axles or not you can gain between 1-2 studs.

Edited by Zerobricks

Hi all, can someone point me in the direction of a compact front and rear suspension both with diffs and independent ideally. Thanks in advance 

Am I the first person to post this??? If i'm wrong I will remove this post...   

13 wide independent suspension with driveshaft with steering available

Head full of ideas!!

Edited by sirslayer

On 9/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, sirslayer said:

Am I the first person to post this??? If i'm wrong I will remove this post...   

13 wide independent suspension with driveshaft with steering available

Head full of ideas!!

That’s funny, I was thinking the same. Currently working on a project that uses a similar setup. 

Only need to figure out a sturdy steering system

52 minutes ago, legotechnicus said:

That’s funny, I was thinking the same. Currently working on a project that uses a similar setup. 

Only need to figure out a sturdy steering system

Like this?