1 minute ago, suffocation said:

@LithuanianLegoFan

Servo motors are pretty powerful - I used this on a prototype 6x6 weighing more than 3 kg. Swapping out the planetary hubs for portal axles should be pretty simple.

Thank you very much. Could you share more detailed pictures of it?

20 minutes ago, LithuanianLegoFan said:

Does anybody have ideas about front live axle with portal hubs and two servo motors on it?

I realy need fast and powerful steering.

Check my leopard 4*4, its using two servos in a very stiff setup.

Hello, i would like to share with you an small idea i had some time ago after getting inspired by Madoca's Tatra, after looking at it's drive train, i first thought that it would be nice to have locking differentials and planetary hubs instead of portals to make the model more realist, but after some attempts i decided that it would be better to start from scratch but using the same principle that Madoca used in his design, the half axles pivot points dont rest directly over the drive train, their pivots are just at its sides, which means that there is no additional stress and friction produced by the suspension itself, and with some work on it i have made this so far:

800x416.jpg

This current version of the axle is thought to be used in 12:1 scale trucks, but its possible to resize it to a bit smaller scales, it should feature fully locking differential, independently suspended pivoting half axles (like a Tatra), shock absorbers plus kind-of leaf spring suspension and the same steering system used in the Tatras (this will be explained better in a future), important note, this axle is NOT fully accurate to the original Tatra half axle design, because, as you can see, there are 2 separated drive trains for each half axle, i did this in order to achieve the diff-lock function and looks like it should work properly though it is not the same system as the Tatra's, but with the currently available pieces, the options were minimal:

800x416.jpg

The diff-lock function is accomplish by the grey clutch which is connected to one of the half axles drive train, when locked, it engages with the differential and locks the movement of both half axles drive trains, one nice feature of this axle is the gear ratio, the gear ratio from the differential the the wheels is 15:1 (in this version, and it should be even a lot more), and with the use of planetary hubs, this should be a very though axle for quite heavy models

The clearance between the 36t gears and the clutch is minimal, about half stud, but because of the length of the half axles, even an small amount of articulation can bring a lot of suspension travel, and after some testing, the half axles should be able to articulate about 10 degrees up and down without a hitting any other components, in this picture, the axle is about 10 degrees upwards, and it doesn't seem to hit anything there:

800x416.jpg

And here are some pictures showing the internals:

800x416.jpg

800x416.jpg

I hope you like it, i expect to keep working on this project this week if i finally get some free time.

Hello, are there any good ways to bring the pivot point any closer to the wheels on 62.4mm tires? I would love it if you could get the pivot point a bit closer than it is for example in the actros set because then you could make more realistic body work and fenders around the Wheel.

Just now, LosTuksux said:

Hello, are there any good ways to bring the pivot point any closer to the wheels on 62.4mm tires? I would love it if you could get the pivot point a bit closer than it is for example in the actros set because then you could make more realistic body work and fenders around the Wheel.

Yes, you can get it a stud closer by using parts 27490 or 87082 as bearing inside the tyre and than use a 42003 as steering arm. This will also give you ackermann steering geometry if built correctly.

21 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Yes, you can get it a stud closer by using parts 27490 or 87082 as bearing inside the tyre and than use a 42003 as steering arm. This will also give you ackermann steering geometry if built correctly.

Thanks for the quick reply! I already built an axle earlier using that method but couldn't figure out a steering system that I liked so I let it sit for a while. I'll have to try again in a different way.

Hello everyone, i have a possibly good addition to this topic, some time ago i saw RM8 truck trial video which included some really nice models, one of them was a Toyota 4Runner (Is the white one at the beginning of the video) and something that caught my eyes was the front independent suspension, it was pretty compact and it still was fully functional, after some reverse engineering i was able to replicate most of the design, is a mix between a solid axle and independent wishbones which enabled a such compact and still functional design (I think i first saw this idea from Crowkillers in this same thread):

So, i made a similar version, i also made some small modifications to meet some ideas i had, and this all started because i wanted to make a mid-size Humvee with fully functional suspension, i was mad because i wasn't able to achieve an enough compact, functional and realistic design, the lack of parts made it almost an impossible task, but looking at this new axle, some inspiration finally made the trick.

The first prototypes for the Humvee axles were like this:

800x416.jpg800x416.jpg

Yes, they are pretty ugly, and don't even have portal hubs for gear reduction (Which means that using larger tires would cause a lot of stress), i had 2 options at the moment, using the "rare" black steering arms of the upper image for better overall clearance, or use the newer hubs of the lower image but sacrificing clearance, both options were really inefficient, unrealistic, without portal hubs and too wide, and both warranted a lot of drive train stress and not enough clearance, i was very unhappy with this.

This is were the new axle helped, at first it was thought for a mid-size pick-up/SUV, with about 2-2.5 studs of clearance under the differential using the 62mm tires and is about 19 studs wide from one tire edge to the other, i first thought that this new axle wouldn't be so compact, but for my surprise there seems to be so much space that i even stacked an M-motor for an optional winch or PTO, the whole unit (Including the servo) just sticks about 2-3 studs above the upper edge of the tires, this means that there is no need for a bulky hood to hide the PF elements; and here are some images giving an small "teaser" o how it works (BTW, the hubs used are the normal grey hubs with tow balls, in the image are black because i don't know why i painted them like that):

800x416.jpg800x416.jpg

And after some inspiration (And because i always try to add portal hubs to every single axle i design), i came up with this, a (Supposedly) fully functional independent suspended portal axle extremely similar to the Humvee ones, is about 24 studs wide from edge to edge of the tires and the clearance under the differential is 5 studs with those (Oversized) tires, but it should use smaller and possibly 3rd party ones for more realism, it should be around 22-23 studs wide and about 3-4.5 studs of clearance, but i'm happy with the result, there might not be a locking differential, but it should still perform well:

800x416.jpg

800x416.jpg800x416.jpg

I hope you like it as much as i do, i will try to give more details about it, i really hope it actually works, i say this because i haven't carried a full test of the axle because of the lack of parts in my collection :grin:, yes, it is not really wise to assume it will actually work if i haven't tested it in real life (like most of the political systems), but some faith shouldn't hurt, and if any of you is interested in this axle please let me know, i will try to upload the lxf file too very soon.

Edited by Imanol BB
missing information

@Imanol BB if I can help you with portal axle hubs using gears 16 and 8, please read my post (and if you want other posts in this topic dealing with my Unimog U423)

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, Imanol BB said:

Hello everyone, i have a possibly good addition to this topic, some time ago i saw RM8 truck trial video which included some really nice models, one of them was a Toyota 4Runner (Is the white one at the beginning of the video) and something that caught my eyes was the front independent suspension, it was pretty compact and it still was fully functional, after some reverse engineering i was able to replicate most of the design, is a mix between a solid axle and independent wishbones which enabled a such compact and still functional design (I think i first saw this idea from Crowkillers in this same thread):

So, i made a similar version, i also made some small modifications to meet some ideas i had, and this all started because i wanted to make a mid-size Humvee with fully functional suspension, i was mad because i wasn't able to achieve an enough compact, functional and realistic design, the lack of parts made it almost an impossible task, but looking at this new axle, some inspiration finally made the trick.

The first prototypes for the Humvee axles were like this:

Yes, they are pretty ugly, and don't even have portal hubs for gear reduction (Which means that using larger tires would cause a lot of stress), i had 2 options at the moment, using the "rare" black steering arms of the upper image for better overall clearance, or use the newer hubs of the lower image but sacrificing clearance, both options were really inefficient, unrealistic, without portal hubs and too wide, and both warranted a lot of drive train stress and not enough clearance, i was very unhappy with this.

This is were the new axle helped, at first it was thought for a mid-size pick-up/SUV, with about 2-2.5 studs of clearance under the differential using the 62mm tires and is about 19 studs wide from one tire edge to the other, i first thought that this new axle wouldn't be so compact, but for my surprise there seems to be so much space that i even stacked an M-motor for an optional winch or PTO, the whole unit (Including the servo) just sticks about 2-3 studs above the upper edge of the tires, this means that there is no need for a bulky hood to hide the PF elements; and here are some images giving an small "teaser" o how it works (BTW, the hubs used are the normal grey hubs with tow balls, in the image are black because i don't know why i painted them like that):

And after some inspiration (And because i always try to add portal hubs to every single axle i design), i came up with this, a (Supposedly) fully functional independent suspended portal axle extremely similar to the Humvee ones, is about 24 studs wide from edge to edge of the tires and the clearance under the differential is 5 studs with those (Oversized) tires, but it should use smaller and possibly 3rd party ones for more realism, it should be around 22-23 studs wide and about 3-4.5 studs of clearance, but i'm happy with the result, there might not be a locking differential, but it should still perform well:

I hope you like it as much as i do, i will try to give more details about it, i really hope it actually works, i say this because i haven't carried a full test of the axle because of the lack of parts in my collection :grin:, yes, it is not really wise to assume it will actually work if i haven't tested it in real life (like most of the political systems), but some faith shouldn't hurt, and if any of you is interested in this axle please let me know, i will try to upload the lxf file too very soon.

I am glad I am not the only one that liked the Toyota 4Runner / Surf and have been quietly reverse engineering it, though the front axle had me well and truly stumped. So I certainly salute you for being able to reverse engineer it, However I would love to see your .lxf as Im quite stumped how you did the steering   

12 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I am glad I am not the only one that liked the Toyota 4Runner / Surf and have been quietly reverse engineering it, though the front axle had me well and truly stumped. So I certainly salute you for being able to reverse engineer it, However I would love to see your .lxf as Im quite stumped how you did the steering   

Hi, thanks for your interest, i have been working on the axle for quite some time, but sadly i haven't been able to fully recreate the steering system, however this is what I've got so far, i hope it results useful to you: https://bricksafe.com/files/imanol/humvee/Toyota 4Runner IFS.lxf , it would be great to get in touch with the builder behind the model to get a proper view of the whole mechanism, maybe @rm8 could help with that.

I also found the original idea, it was shared in this thread by @Paul Boratko, here is the post: 

@I_Igor Thank you for your interested, actually your portal hubs were an small but good inspiration at the beginning, the only thing i haven't been able to do is fully test this design in real life (:grin:), is a bit frustrating, but i have hope in them, i must also say that i love that Unimog you are building, seems really promising.

By the Way, if anyone is also interested in the Humvee, i will post newer updates in my "Workshop" topic, in order to avoid filling this thread with only my posts, here is the link: 

@Imanol BB I'm working at the moment on few projects and one uses Tatra suspension with 94.3 (Unimog wheels) and overall width should be 21 studs. The only problem is that shocks have to be very low...so I'll peek on your solution from time to time...

Laddies and gentlemen, here are images for part of drivetrain for one my project that will feature Tatra suspension but it is not Tatra... My solution features new blue gear 20 tooth with clutch from Chiron. Perhaps this idea could be useful to someone...when tractor that uses this kind of suspension will be finished, I'll post it in my m machinery topic :wink:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

19 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I have bought 4 of them and I see that maybe I will need more... great idea.

Thanks...I assume you have an idea for what it will be :wink:

I was waiting for gear like this about 10 years or even more to make proper and narrow enough Tatra axle. But now back to Unimog optimisation because it is to heavy at the front...I'll post progress when I'll be satisfied with solution.

@I_Igor

Unusual idea, but I would use a 16z gear w/o crossaxle to connect the driveshaft to the differential through the axle above the diff.

9 hours ago, Beck said:

@I_Igor

Unusual idea, but I would use a 16z gear w/o crossaxle to connect the driveshaft to the differential through the axle above the diff.

that is also possible to be done...I'll see both solutions and decide depending on suspension :wink:

Just thought i'd add this axle to this thread as it maybe of interest to someone!

Its for my next moc which is a Xerion using 130mm 3rd party wheels, it's scaled to use those tyres and has drive (yellow), steering (black) and difflock (red) using the new orange spiral selector thingy... still kind of wip but i think its nearly there.

Don't think i've seen the orange selector used for difflock yet, so maybe its a first?!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrFL5D1

43839900254_8f977f61c2_b.jpg20180908_203319 by Team Thrifty, on Flickr

43839899594_ceb6be8f5b_b.jpg20180908_203335 by Team Thrifty, on Flickr

Edited by TeamThrifty

A suspended front Axle for 19 wide Vehicles. It is made for low height Frames.

45978200632_2f41f5c9f4_c.jpg

45126775335_5ecc49435f_c.jpg

The frame height could easily adjusted by raise or lowering the frameside attach point for the springs. On the lowest position the pusshrod attachment point should raised one hole to avoid a axle/pushrod collision
45980472252_4009ac84b4_c.jpg

45980473032_a3ef5ea29e_c.jpg

45980474122_a179f08dff_c.jpg

lxf file

for compare. The red liftarm is the old upper side of the frame

45129123445_557158f30d_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Looks relatively simple, but have to use springs and to took shocks apart...but could be useful :thumbup:

Axel looks great but got one question. Is it strong enough to hold the weight of the cabin?

When I buid my refueler truck the front weels bended outwards because of the weight.

iam not worried about bending. my hooklift is not fuily compressing the jellow springs and the Axle is far from Bending at this weight.

Hello everybody,
I share you this rear axle.
It's a rear four link live axle, with drive and differential.
I use it for small wheel (44309 Tyre 43.2 x 22 ZR) but I think it might be used with bigger wheels.

Complete assembly :
Rear%20axle%20full.png

Without motor :
Rear%20axle%20Without%20motor.png

Without beams :
Rear%20axle%20suspention%20+%20drive.png

With different colors :
- Orange : linkage
- Blue : shock absorber
- Red and Green : drive

Rear%20axle%20color%202.png
Rear%20axle%20color%203.png