Yes I guess so, but it would require moving pivot point one stud to the centre. That would mean wider fenders. I realized that such model is working much better as motorized one and I really don't enjoy remote models as much as manual ones. That is why I abandoned it for now. I have to admit though that the performance with one L motor is amazing and the suspension is working like charm (on rear axles).

13 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Yes I guess so, but it would require moving pivot point one stud to the centre. That would mean wider fenders. I realized that such model is working much better as motorized one and I really don't enjoy remote models as much as manual ones. That is why I abandoned it for now. I have to admit though that the performance with one L motor is amazing and the suspension is working like charm (on rear axles).

Or you can us CV joints which require no movement of pivot pints.

10 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

But there is no room for gears in the frame. and also in the half-axle. (judging only from photo)

22 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

But there is no room for gears in the frame. and also in the half-axle. (judging only from photo)

Take a look on page 13 :wink: Tatras have bevel gears on drive axles so it could fit inside

10 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

But that build was with 30,4mm wheels and 49,5mm tires. There is one wheel in that size with 3 pinholes for wheel hub, but I don't have them. Maybe I will try that when I return to this build :thumbup:

As i can see, you can easily achieve drive in the axle by using CV joints, it wont affect the turning pivot, but the only problem would be to stack gears in the 7x5 frame, as it would require to move the half axles pivot point 1 stud up, which would affect the clearance a lot, but for me, that scale is perfect for a driveless suspended vehicle, specially a Tatra.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:55 PM, aminnich said:

800x560.jpg

@aminnich a question about your system: do you think it can be motorized ?

I have some idea to make a suspended triple-axle truck and I'm still not sure of how I must/will build it. I like your idea and i may upgrade it so it will fit my specs.

16 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Take a look on page 13 :wink: Tatras have bevel gears on drive axles so it could fit inside

No, it will not fit inside.

I know very well, how Ledwinka's solution in Tatra style suspension (swinging half-axles) work. I have also tried to build this type of suspension for my tril trucks many times, so you can trust me, that this assembly can not fit CV- or U-joints and gearing at the same time.

Firstly, any LEGO bevel gears on the main driveshaft (that is going through Tatra's "spine") would collide with the frame (5x7 technic beam), and secondly, this axle is too narrow to fit complete assembly of original joint, bearing and smallest bevel gear next o each other. An internal structure, that is shown on previous site, does not allow mounting any gears that would mesh with it's counterpart.

Any modiications that would lead to making this axle driven would make entirely new one.

Maybe am I wrong, but please prove it with picture of minimally modified previous axle.

Edited by HorcikDesigns

5 hours ago, Superkoala said:

@aminnich a question about your system: do you think it can be motorized ?

I have some idea to make a suspended triple-axle truck and I'm still not sure of how I must/will build it. I like your idea and i may upgrade it so it will fit my specs.

Of course it could be. Each axle would be independently driven.

If you want the file, I could send it to you

Edited by aminnich

11 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Of course it could be. Each axle would be independently driven.

If you want the file, I could send it to you

Thank you for your answer. I have another project to complete before working on a new truck, so I will try to built it from my own and i mail you later if I need to use your file as help.

2 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

No, it will not fit inside.

I know very well, how Ledwinka's solution in Tatra style suspension (swinging half-axles) work. I have also tried to build this type of suspension for my tril trucks many times, so you can trust me, that this assembly can not fit CV- or U-joints and gearing at the same time.

Firstly, any LEGO bevel gears on the main driveshaft (that is going through Tatra's "spine") would collide with the frame (5x7 technic beam), and secondly, this axle is too narrow to fit complete assembly of original joint, bearing and smallest bevel gear next o each other. An internal structure, that is shown on previous site, does not allow mounting any gears that would mesh with it's counterpart.

Any modiications that would lead to making this axle driven would make entirely new one.

Maybe am I wrong, but please prove it with picture of minimally modified previous axle.

I agree that without modifications you can not make driven axle...I'll see if I found time to build it, but I does not guranty enything because every builder can make something better that other :wink:

I never planned on powering that axle, that is why I designed it the way I did.  The only reason I used the Ball Joint Large Open with C-Shape Pivot Frame was for another pivot point with a solid base.  It probably could have been done a little bit differently without that part, but I thought this worked well for my application.  

To power this axle, I feel like a bunch of modifications would have to be made, BUT it could be powered.  

Just now, aminnich said:

I never planned on powering that axle, that is why I designed it the way I did.  The only reason I used the Ball Joint Large Open with C-Shape Pivot Frame was for another pivot point with a solid base.  It probably could have been done a little bit differently without that part, but I thought this worked well for my application.  

To power this axle, I feel like a bunch of modifications would have to be made, BUT it could be powered.  

I already made a powered version with CV joints, 12 tooth bewel gears and different wheels in the same width. I will share photos soon.

2 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

As promised here is the photo of the idea:

640x284.jpg

I am tempted to build a small tatra whit this setup :wink:

Interesting, but you have 1 stud offset between the wheels and that is too much for this scale

49 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

Interesting, but you have 1 stud offset between the wheels and that is too much for this scale

I would like to apologise, I forgot this part (small U-cage, or bevel gear bracing), it is possible to palce the gears and joint into your axle, although the offset is too big, and the 5×7 frame can not be used, and the structure would not be very rigid.

Edited by HorcikDesigns

9 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

I would like to apologise, I forgot this part (small U-cage, or bevel gear bracing), it is possible to palce the gears and joint into your axle, although the offset is too big, and the 5×7 frame can not be used, and the structure would not be very rigid.

All good my friend :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

I do not know if this info is usefull, but with 49.5 tires whole axle is some 6mm narrower which is about 1 stud

33 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I do not know if this info is usefull, but with 49.5 tires whole axle is some 6mm narrower which is about 1 stud

I don't understand what do you mean, I'm talking about this:

38814603762_c72cb4c602_n.jpg

the offset between left and right wheel is 1 stud and that is too much in smaller scale, the whole steering acts funny with it. I don't like half stud offset on steered axle as well (in this scale), it just brings too many problems. That is why I decided for non-driven steered axle with zero offset. Not really following the source material, I know, but I'm fine with it.

Edited by Ivan_M

3 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

I don't understand what do you mean, I'm talking about this:

38814603762_c72cb4c602_n.jpg

the offset between left and right wheel is 1 stud and that is too much in smaller scale, the whole steering acts funny with it. I don't like half stud offset on steered axle as well (in this scale), it just brings too many problems. That is why I decided for non-driven steered axle with zero offset. Not really following the source material, I know, but I'm fine with it.

I know what are you talking, but the bottom line is vehicle width. 49.5 X 20 wheels are more narrow than 56 x 26 that are on image. Every Tatra has actually some offset