35 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I understand that you want to improove existing concept, but I think that you should try with McPherson suspension - it is smaller and gives you more space for additional finctionality, or at least bigger trunk (which is last thing needed in porsche).

:wink:

Statement that I made was result of my "reading" through posts when people comment LEGO 42056 set, it is not ment to describe your work as something bad (it is better that original one), but to give you some kind of hint or direction what should you try or at least to think about it. you see the whole idea of making model (and LEGO licensed sets are models made from LEGO parts) is to make it authentic as posible.

I appreciate your pledge for authenticity and there will for sure be others that feel the same way, but in my opinion authenticity need not always be the single most important objective. There was so much 'wrong' with the Porsche and there were a few very playable functions missing, such as HoG steering and HoG shifting. That's how I got to my 'playability' objective.

As for the McPherson suspension. I would like to see someone come up with a McPherson setup that is solid - as in not sloppy - and fits the stock body, or at least doesn't change the outer look of it. One problem I foresee is that you will have to move the steering axis away from the center of the wheel, which will cause the wheel to take more space when steering. The wheel will probably collide with the body.

14 hours ago, JJ2 said:

I used to have a folder for instructions but they seem to have been deleted. :sad: From my memory it was a lot like Effermans design, with the bevel gear drive, I believe I had one of these where the DBG beam can be seen on the underside in between the two 5L wishbones, I used custom built top wishbones instead of the 5L ones but I did that to make room for the V2 engine, the main MOD I did was use a rack and pinion instead of the T beam to steer. The rest was improving the mounting points for my needs.

Thank you. I will try to put a gear rack on the front like yours.

Hello, I recently made a quite robust McPherson suspension as a part of my VW Polo WRC moc. It is far from beeing finished, but I think it will work well. I am not sure if this is adaptable to the Porsche as it uses the deeper rims and the shock absorbers may be to long. By the way, the layout with the damper passing in front of the hub can be found on the real rally car as well. It is used to gain bigger suspension travel. Sorry for the bad quality pics.

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

Hi Lucullus, welcome to Eurobricks, i must say that i think that your suspension looks very cool, everything seems cleverly designed, i like how you make the McPherson geometry, your axle design is very interesting, i am also very amazed with those gears in the first picture, is that a gearbox?

Thank You, yes, this cone-shaped arrangement of gears will be a 5-speed sequential gearbox, operated by a gear rack that slides a clutch gear. Underneath, there is an axle with five 16t gears, visible in the second picture, one of those gears meshes with the differential. The goal behind this arrangement (and behind the whole moc) is to recreate the original shape and position of the drivetrain-components as good as possible. Therefore it won´t be very suitable for power functions. I even doubt that it will roll very well because WRCs were not allowed to have a central differential till 2017 but, on the other hand, this makes building a lot easier.

The double set of 16t gears in front of the diff shall represent an adjustable differential lock. You can either use none, one, or two clutch gears for different lock up levels or lock the diff completely by using normal 16t gears.

Don´t expect this thing to be finsihed soon, I am not building frequently and it´s not easy to find technical information about WRCs.

This picture seems to be the best source so far, it shows the internals of an s2000 car, the drivetrain is basically the same as the WRCs one.

640x442.jpg

Some hideous pictures of a dual axle with drive, proportional steering and suspension. Steering is achieved through a simple linkage system.

800x686.jpg

800x692.jpg

640x391.jpg

800x600.jpg

Third post in a row, this time with a request - has anyone got any ideas for a 15-stud (Unimog width) axle with drive, steering, suspension, portal hubs and diff lock? I've been racking my brains for days but haven't come up with anything viable.

...a new life to old topic...for several month I'was trying to make the narrowest (smallest) front Unimog Implement carrier axle to fit my future MOCs...

The axle should be driven and to use both differential and hub reduction 8 to 16. Hub reduction can only be partially fit inside  this wheel or this wheel. This is no problem for real axle, but front one has a steering, so there was a problem how to make it narrow enough...One solution was to use CV joint but CV joint Axle does not allow me to put this gear until end, so I have to use universal joint, but I needed 2.5 studs axle which does not exits. Instead of cutting LEGO axles to 2.5 studs length, I'll managed to (partly) solve this problem using this axle because of sharp edges from this set.

Images and description can be seen here.

Edited by I_Igor

17 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Hi, 

I'm looking for a small (max 15L by 15L) rear suspension powered by a single buggy motor. Any ideas?

What type of suspension, independent, live axle.

I'm guessing independent so I would recommend something like this

You could adjust the suspension arm length to make it the right width

Here are the front and rear sections of my 4wd rugged supercar:

Front suspension (LXF-file with placeholders for the Porsche wheel hubs)
- Double wishbone suspension
- Anti-roll bar
- Ackermann steering
- Gear-rack sliders
- HoG steering
- 2 studs suspension travel
- 2 studs ground clearance

960x540.jpg

Rear suspension (LXF-file)
- Double wishbone suspension
- Anti-roll bar
- 2 studs suspension travel
- 2 studs ground clearance

960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

It was already published in the other topic but i think it has to be here.

The suspension looks very stiff, I think the softer setting would be better.

5 hours ago, JJ2 said:

The suspension looks very stiff, I think the softer setting would be better.

This model will be very heavy. But changing schocks it is not a problem at all.

Hey guys, 

Whenever I am building a model I like to do something new, this time it will be adding suspension to all my axles on the truck.  I am going to be redoing the chassis of 42043 and using the same cab for my truck.  I personally 100% disliked the steering used for the actual model.  

As I work on some ideas for front suspended axles using these hubs.  I am wondering if anyone else would like to build an example they think would work.  I am going to do my best and build my own, but sometimes it is helpful having something to look at.   

Same specs and dual steering as the arocs, but different steering method and using those hubs.  

Thanks for reading 

I am looking for a solution to replace these front axles on a second version I am building of this Actros, with two straight axles.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=429505

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6357517

And if you look on  www.brickforge.de  you can find the LDraw files and  submodel files on this site. 

If you take the submodel of the Actros front, you can see how the submodels are added and how the chassis is build before the front axles are build in.

It has independent front suspension, but it should have straight axles with a kind of leafspring or something like the Unimog from 8110 has, but without the drivetrain. Haven't figured out yet how do do this.

my pair of axles from project air pocket:

rear: 23 studs.

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

front: 23 studs.

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

Edited by Aventador2004

Hi guys, still looking for a 15-stud (Unimog width) axle with drive, steering, suspension, portal hubs and either diff lock or a decent pivot point. I know Nicjasno came up with a similar design (minus the diff lock) as an improvement to the Unimog's front axle but the steering angle was very limited.

36 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Hi guys, still looking for a 15-stud (Unimog width) axle with drive, steering, suspension, portal hubs and either diff lock or a decent pivot point. I know Nicjasno came up with a similar design (minus the diff lock) as an improvement to the Unimog's front axle but the steering angle was very limited.

15-stud with or without wheels? I guess you need to choose between portal hubs and diff lock. Diff lock is possible using old diff but the axle will be huge.