I shall share my smaller scale axle. It has tatra suspension but the 'wishbones' don't rotate around the center. It uses a rubbery 11 stud long flex axle for the 'spring' on each side. It does not have a diff.

12.png

Here is the LDD link

Here is MacPherson strut suspension for my new project, Subaru SVX.

15857460681_1fdd8886e3_z.jpg

15237165014_9f22a88933_z.jpg

lxf

Please tell me how to make pics in LDD w/o background :blush:

Edited by izorn

This is something I been cooking up the last days. It is also one of my first creations in LDD so bear with me :classic:

LXF file is included at the bottom, link to my dropbox. please let me know if troubles or if something can be made easier.

Fully independent and driven. strong - no CV joints!

Ackermann geometry.

No bump steering, all geometry aligned.

Ideas stolen with pride from several posts here at the forum, SNIPE among others, thanks! Still, some ideas I think are my own :blush:

Room for improvent, steering links are unnessacary high and wobbly but I had to move away from differential, can be redone and maybe will be!

Steering geometry can be placed really near wheel hubs, even PP wheels and tires. This was a mandatory demand from me.

I have build it as well and I am in progress of the second, duplicate (mirrored) in order to build a crawler so we will see outcome of real life build quite soon I hope.

steering3c-1.png

steering3a-1.png

steering3b-1.png

https://www.dropbox....ering3.lxf?dl=0

Edit: Improved it right away (in theory) and added some missing axles!

steering3d.png

Edited by Leif

This is something I been cooking up the last days. It is also one of my first creations in LDD so bear with me :classic:

LXF file is included at the bottom, link to my dropbox. please let me know if troubles or if something can be made easier.

Fully independent and driven. strong - no CV joints!

Ackermann geometry.

No bump steering, all geometry aligned.

Ideas stolen with pride from several posts here at the forum, SNIPE among others, thanks! Still, some ideas I think are my own :blush:

Room for improvent, steering links are unnessacary high and wobbly but I had to move away from differential, can be redone and maybe will be!

Steering geometry can be placed really near wheel hubs, even PP wheels and tires. This was a mandatory demand from me.

I have build it as well and I am in progress of the second, duplicate (mirrored) in order to build a crawler so we will see outcome of real life build quite soon I hope.

steering3c-1.png

steering3a-1.png

steering3b-1.png

https://www.dropbox....ering3.lxf?dl=0

Edit: Improved it right away (in theory) and added some missing axles!

steering3d.png

Its nice, but the steering links are way too high and that axle joiner will in reality just slip out. You need to bring it closer to the center of the hub.

Its nice, but the steering links are way too high and that axle joiner will in reality just slip out. You need to bring it closer to the center of the hub.

Thanks, btw I apologize for posting half done things in the axle thread, this thread should, I think, mostly consist of finished, proven, designs. not ideas!

I have done some redesign now and I risk getting into "half stud galore" with the setup. Got some ideas still to build and test with wheels and tyres, and I think this is one of the best, when finished, when it comes to geometry, which I aim for really hard.

Capture-1.jpg

Edited by Leif

To avoid the dread 2l axle sliding into the female cv part, i do this:

post-126511-0-76155800-1427298047_thumb.jpg

I'm still working on the rest of the suspension module. Using this does make it a little longer than efferman's, but you can still get 11 wide at the towballs.

And this thread should definitely be stickied.

For my upcoming MOC I have been working on air suspension for the front axle of a 19-wide truck. It uses two of the five stud long pneumatic cylinders, giving it more travel than using standard Lego shock absorber along with having adjustable stiffness and the ability to be lowered completely which is useful on buses. The axle has Ackermann geometry, with the driveshaft for the steering connecting to the chassis instead of the axle's framework using the six stud long suspension arms or whatever they're called which makes the driveline far simpler and easier to connect to the chassis. Unfortunately due to the technique I used to connect the six stud long suspension arms to the steering frame causes the turning circle to reduce, but this problem can be solved by modifying the upper front brace for the steering to remove anything from attaching to the upper pin on the steering frame. So basically the problem is that the steering geometry is limited at the same as second steering axles on models because the connection to the ball pin is the same as on the longer spacing on the steering rack (probably just over-explained something that could be put simply and everyone understands :grin:). Now, less talky, more showy :wink:

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

At the wheel it has a range of three studs travel, which I consider pretty decent for a road vehicle in this scale.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

Ideal ride height is at half extension when loaded so that it can manage both bumps and potholes. (And no, the ceiling is not purple)

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

Bit of a look to the inner workings (And I only just worked out that it would have been a good idea to take the wheels off so I could get a good photo of the actual axle/suspension setup)

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

A look at the steering system, the photo above demonstrates its less than ideal steering lock which can be improved with modification.

As always there are more photos on my Bricksafe: http://bricksafe.com/pages/Kiwi_Builder/Technic/Components/Air%20Suspension/Front%20Axle

And if there is enough interest I could create an LXF of it to share with you.

Here my front suspension for a muscle car project. I tried to make it like the real thing, the two 15m beams are the main chassis beams. Surprisingly rigid with all that space to fit a V8 in :wink:

I'm using 81.6x34 tires fitted on 56mmx43mm wheels.

XOH6A97.png?1

MuscleCarFront.lxf

Here's an idea I had for a live axle with sprung linkarms, to soften front/rear collisions. Top shaft is steering, bottom shaft is drive

hFW3rbW.jpg

Edited by ord

My front live axle after not seeing too many around - then lego came out and did it better on the Arocs

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

and something i'm working on .... no ackerman yet....

Capture.jpg

[...] then lego came out and did it better on the Arocs

I dunno, I like the shock absorber placement here - it's really compact. It would be very easy to build whatever you want on top of that, free of the consideration of having to plan where to anchor the suspension.

A driven, steered axle with independent suspension, suitable for a 4x4x4 vehicle. 19M wide excluding wheel bearings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

axle_20150628a.png

Notes / considerations:

• Green is drive, orange is steering.
  • Turning radius is limited by the red 3M beams on the rack, so that the CV joints don't fudge up.
  • The assembly to connect the rack and the 6M steering links is more flexy than I'd like.
  • Suspension travel is roughly 2M, and the action is rather soft.
  • The gap between the suspension support pylons is wide enough to accomodate a fake straight engine or XL Motor.

LXF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A real-world test with identical axles at either end of a chassis show some slowdown when turning, but there were no scary mechanical noises from the CV joints, so I call it a success!

EDIT: The test chassis used two XL Motors as well as the Servo Motor running from a LiPo battery box, and since the servo is unable to complete a full 90° either way, perhaps the slowdown was due to increased current draw?

Edited by Gnac

Hmm... I'm totaly disappointed with combination of CV joints and driven axle... Totaly unusable by greated steering angles... I wanted to make AWD car but I canceled it... So I use only RWD and let front axle only for steering with big steering angles...

Max...