Whats the point of diffs? You connected them totally wrong to the axles.

Edited by Zblj

Igor, i came into similar question when i am moc-ing my 42009 into all wheels drive + independent suspension+ steering , which the model is 17studs wide wheel to wheel. Here's what I come up with by placing the differential vertically. I haven't test it out yet and hopefully it works ok.

LXF file here. just replace the 4 red 1x3 beams with new 5L steering links (part #15459)

17stud-inside.png

Thats an awesome way to use a diff, with a bit of re-arranging you can have the diff lockable, but i'd change the 24-8 gears to something else though.

Why is the left axle driving the ring gear and not the other pinion axle or is it the view obscuring the gear behind it?

For Lego purposes, I don't think that it really matters which part of the differential the axles are connected to. As long as you have one input and two outputs, or two inputs and one output, the differential and spider gears will rotate as needed.

In real life applications it does make more of a difference because you don't want the smaller spider gears rotating as much, causing unwanted friction and heat within the differential.

Think about it for a minute. It actually will work. Remember, the driveshaft is going into the differential as opposed to driving the differential cage.

a lxf file for my 11 wide independent suspension is available

14042891907_dac7c9200a_z.jpg

edit: to prevent this on the picture put something (half stud length) in the female cv joint part

14235767204_7b93e41290_z.jpg

14049440717_9aef69864f_z.jpg

Edited by efferman

this have to decide the eurobricks team, on my german homeforum the axle collector thread is pinned.

Super!:)

Thanks guys!

It seems that is abug in ldd which makes the small shock absorbers not able to use

an idea I tried for front suspension: (looks rubbish in LDD but I tried in real life and all clicks and fits into place ok....)

34qwwhy.jpg

Edited by Rockbrick

Thats good Technuk32231, but it need maybe some lower gear ratio to get better controll on the steering if youre using a M-motor. If you're using a servo-motor its just perfect :)

Made a revised version of my dual rear axle for one of my current projects:

800x410.jpg

Live axles, and with a lockable central differential. Would include shocks, but they are mysteriously gone from LDD!

It's good for 8258-sized trucks (I used the previous version on my Recovery Truck)

Hi, is this possible? :D My first try to make Tatra suspension with diff. However, it is not perfect... :D (LDD ATTACHED)

14332278099_ce9490509b_c.jpg

Edited by Gzzig

Made a revised version of my dual rear axle for one of my current projects:

800x410.jpg

Live axles, and with a lockable central differential. Would include shocks, but they are mysteriously gone from LDD!

It's good for 8258-sized trucks (I used the previous version on my Recovery Truck)

Ouuuh, Cool! The axle will spin free if ya open the diff, or is that attached to something else?

Hi, is this possible? :D My first try to make Tatra suspension with diff. However, it is not perfect... :D (LDD ATTACHED)

14332278099_ce9490509b_c.jpg

Yeah. It will work if ya make it strong, but a tatra with diffs will destroy fun!

Here is my idea;

https://www.flickr.c...157634384848421

It is a front axle with drive,suspension and advanced geometry like caster, kingpin inclination.

Here's the ldd attached

Tibivi

I really like the caster thing ya did there. Offroaders or crawlers with good turning radius is good.

Edited by Essge

Ouuuh, Cool! The axle will spin free if ya open the diff, or is that attached to something else?

Maybe this picture explains better

800x410.jpg

The central differential is driven (by two PF XL-motors, in my model) through the set of 16 tooth gears (lime green). The differential has two ouputs for the two rear axles (orange and cyan). The purple axle driven from the 24 tooth gear on the differential goes to the fake engine up front. By locking the central differential with the red driving ring, the output from the motors is locked to giving each of the axles 50% of the force. Thus, if the wheels on one axle starts to slip, the other axle will still drive it forward.

When the driving ring is as in the picture, if one wheel slips, the vehicle will stop moving.

That's very basic "Differential use 101" :thumbup::laugh: