Sign in to follow this  
jamesed_1971

WIP LDD Model Railway Module _ Level Crossing & SIgnal Box

For the last couple of days, I been designing a module for my planned Lego Southern Preserved Railway Layout, the module contains a level crossing which can close and open (manual), a single track, and a signal box, below are three images of the Level Crossing & Signal Box Module.

12334723825_11afd9942b_c.jpg

level crossing gate closed.

12335220983_e99198b65a_c.jpg

level crossing gates open.

12335220163_c1a979b508_c.jpg

closer view of the signal box.

12335997484_5bd5f4880a_c.jpg

This is the signal box which I based my signal box on, I made a few changes to the model.

12341019923_9fd796de51_c.jpg

A image of the Level Crossing with the gates moved a stud in width away from the track.

12341251154_7db7772487_c.jpg

A image showing the clearance between the train and the gates

12347088983_e52a1fdd54_o.jpg

Signal box in Sandwich, Kent UK

12347379424_e72239ebe9_c.jpg

Signal Box in the UK

12346919915_3e2fd7c823_o.jpg

Signal Box near Attenborough railway station

12346924785_84a3de2bbe_c.jpg

signal box on the Nene Valley Railway (Wansford)

Edited by jamesed_1971

Have you tried spacing the railroad ties 1 stud apart? It would look more realistic that way.

6747262547_09734efbb4_z.jpg

Nice. But isn't the left gate a bit too close to the track? It just allows for trains that are 8 studs wide including overhang, and even those may bump into the gate when they're not perfectly in the middle of the track.

The Layout is a preserved railway which was a double line, the preservation society who is restoring the line intend to restore the railway to a double track eventually, with that in mind, the preservation society asked the council to leave the level crossing alone when the council resurfaced the road running past the signal box, besides due to the width of the road, if I shortened the level crossing gates to match a single track, the gates would be too short for the road, plus I attend to add a send running track eventually once the layout is finshed.

Looks good, and I just have a minor question but shouldn't the Signal box be swung round 90 degrees so that the main window side is parallel to the tracks?

in the UK, the majority of signal boxes are sited like I have placed the signal box, just like the four signal boxes i have uploaded.

I really like that signal box. You could hide some PF stuff in it to operate the gates.

Edited by Wabbajack

I might add power Functions elements to operate the gates, but I need to modify some Lego Part, a 1x4 tile with a hole drilled in the tile so I can get a axle with a stud on the end, which also has to be shortened to 2 studs length as the space below the road surface is equivalent to five plates high, the idea is tow install four pulleys driven by two motors, one motor operates two gates with the red round tile and the other operates the other two gates

The Layout is a preserved railway which was a double line, the preservation society who is restoring the line intend to restore the railway to a double track eventually, with that in mind, the preservation society asked the council to leave the level crossing alone when the council resurfaced the road running past the signal box, besides due to the width of the road, if I shortened the level crossing gates to match a single track, the gates would be too short for the road, plus I attend to add a send running track eventually once the layout is finshed.

That's what I thought from the first images, but you could really drive that point home by putting the second rails in JUST the pavement (as is often common in the US or 10+ after the rest of the track had been ripped up) and ballast mounds for the rest of the extent where the other track used to be.