TomatoSoup

Review: 75038 Jedi Interceptor

Hello Eurobrickers! I've been a longtime lurker here on the forums (not the creepy kind :wink: ) and i'm here to present my first post, which is a review of a set i recently bought. :classic:

Here's a description from Lego S@H:

Come to the rescue with Anakin and the Jedi™ Interceptor!

Load up Anakin Skywalker™ and R2-D2™ into the agile Jedi™ Interceptor with opening cockpit, folding wing flaps and new dual spring-loaded shooters. Then take to the stars and rescue Palpatine™ from the clutches of the evil confederate forces! Includes Anakin Skywalker minifigure with a Lightsaber and R2-D2.

• Includes Anakin Skywalker™ minifigure with a Lightsaber and R2-D2™
  • Features opening cockpit, folding wing flaps and new dual spring-loaded shooters
  • Open the cockpit, jump in and prepare for battle
  • Take aim and fire the powerful new spring-loaded shooters
  • Recreate exciting battle scenes from Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
  • Measures over 2” (6cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 6” (17cm) wide
  • Create an even more exciting Battle of Coruscant with 75044 Droid Tri-fighter™

Without further ado, here's the front of the box:

12300422113_798458b485_b.jpg

Has the new Vader logo on top, and no piece count since i bought this set in my region (which is Asia) but it has 223 pieces according to S@H.

12300847646_8e1402f29a_b.jpg

The top, has a nice little note concerning the new spring shooters we get this wave and NEW! tags for the minifigures.

12300847846_d888fdbc4e_b.jpg

The back, shows the features of the set and again showcasing the new spring shooters. Note: the background seems to be incorrect, since it depicts Mustafar and this isn't the interceptor Anakin uses to get there. Not nitpicking, just pointing it out :tongue: But please correct me if i'm wrong.

Enough of the box, lets get into the set itself!

12300426643_3d561a7c16_b.jpg

The numbered bags, instruction booklet and the infamous dreaded sticker sheet. :hmpf_bad:

12300266105_99c89ea37e_b.jpg

A close-up of the DSS itself, with stickers of the solar panels, controls and the Open Circle Fleet insignia.

Opening the first bag!

12300426323_3b7c470bc0_b.jpg

Here we see the new trans-green spring shooter ammo which we seem to get in all the republic-related sets this wave, and a printed piece of the cockpit window as well as the Chosen One himself, in pieces.

12300423273_b2c9807652_b.jpg

The first minifigure we get is none other than Anakin Skywalker! Now i'm excited, because this is my first figure of him to not have the CW-stylized face. Not sure if the face is new, with the commlink printed but the box does state that the figures are, which may just be the torso and leg printing. He also comes with a matte-chrome lightsaber hilt and a trans-blue saber.

12300686844_086a9e9276_b.jpg

He also has a double-sided head, with this one showing the more cranky side of the Chosen One :laugh:

12300689534_4c57b5847f_b.jpg

Halfway through the first bag, and we have Annie here helping out constructing the set with the Force :laugh:

12300846286_54df5db700_b.jpg

Done with the first bag, Annie seems pleased with his work!

Now onto the 2nd bag!

12300425313_7ea7dcf508_b.jpg

Here we have the pieces sorted out again, and Annie can't seem to stay out of the spotlight :hmpf_bad:

12300685224_6346d4a17e_b.jpg

Halfway through the build, here he is again helping out with the Force.

12300424243_6c0c855cb2_b.jpg

The 2nd bag is done, Annie seems to like what we've built so far.

Now onto the 3rd and final bag!

12300844556_1771fd95fb_b.jpg

There is another printed piece for the canopy of the cockpit, and it looks like Annie is building something over there himself...

12300687254_94d6c716ca_b.jpg

Ah! It's R2-D2! He has an updated head/dome piece, which we can see much more clearly in the next photo.

12300263315_747184fc62_b.jpg

Great printing on the body as usual, and the dome has great printing all over! :wub:

12300263305_b86d0e199a_b.jpg

Keep in mind, it's also the first R2-D2 minifigure i've gotten with these prints on the dome, the previous ones seem to only be printed near the top of the dome IIRC.

12300843896_e7d6ffbe57_b.jpg

The 3rd bag is finished, but little Artoo seems to have some problems getting into his socket :tongue:

The finished build!

12300843336_b51ed64533_b.jpg

Top view of the Eta-2 Actis-class Interceptor or Jedi Interceptor for short, it looks pretty neat and solid! Note the little Republic insignia is also printed, and this is the set without stickers applied :wink:

12300841856_7c51ea9779_b.jpg

Side view.

12300262665_3febb354e8_b.jpg

Back view. Here you can clearly see the misprint on the canopy, and it annoys me :damn:

12300261045_e375d80149_b.jpg

And finally, the bottom view. Not too pretty to look at, but no one will ever see it as long as Annie doesn't crash the ship upside down.

12300262045_e37787c1bc_b.jpg

There are also 2 clips where you can store your lightsaber hilt and...blade? Doesn't seem too safe.

12300685014_4c40482685_b.jpg

And that's it for the whole set! Annie and Artoo bids you farewell, and hoped you enjoyed the review the three of us put together! :sweet:

12300685994_5401ff49a5_b.jpg

And the spare pieces from the set, for when you lose some or need some. A good number of lightsaber hilts :wub:

The Verdict:

Pros

- Great build, and a much swooshable set

- Detailed minifigures

- A nice addition to any Clone/Jedi/Republic fleet

Cons

- Another set with Anakin and Artoo. Some other exclusive minifig would've been nice

- Stickers, not particularly the number, but the application especially on the solar panels are easily messed up.

Conclusion

It's a great set for me, though it doesn't really stand out enough to be nominated for the "Set Of The Wave" award, it's still a nicely built albeit repeat of a set we've already seen and even that set had more minifigures and of course, costs much more. I can't see people buying more than one of these sets, as they contain an already existing minifgure as opposed to exclusives, which IMO is the true draw of most sets. Did i mention we've seen these minifigs and the vehicle in other sets as well? Being said, i'm not complaining, i like this set since i just love the yellow, while the previous set was green in color. Still a great set for the (low?) price $25 as opposed to earlier and bigger sets.

Rating

Build: 8/10 - I had fun building this set, especially the tilted wings and cockpit, and i can only hope others do too!

Design: 6/10 - We've seen the Jedi Interceptor before, and there's not much of an upgrade as far as i see.

Minifigures: 5/10 - Again, we've seen these guys before, though Anakin i believe has a new head with the commlink print.

Playability: 7/10 - IMO a sturdy build, and can be played around with with no fear of pieces falling off, but the panels are hard to adjust symmetrically and the new spring shooters shoot far enough to poke your neighbor's eye out :tongue:

Parts: 6/10 - Some interesting parts, like the solar panels, but nothing we haven't seen before.

Overall: 32/50 - It's a(nother) Jedi Interceptor! You could've gotten a similar set in the years before, but the lower pricing seems to make this set for me. You can buy this as a gift to your nephew, niece, children, yourself or whoever because it's affordable, and because i recommend it. Not for army building though, obviously.

Extra:

12300422543_74acdf5852_b.jpg

"Seemingly frustrated about the DSS, the young Jedi has to go through the test of patience as he now has to put them all by himself. Careful not to use anger, and goodluck Vader Annie!" :vader::tongue:

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this review and feel free to leave a comment or ask questions! :grin:

Great review TomatoSoup, you make this set look a lot better than I thought it was going to turn out. However I probably won't buy it since I already own the green interceptor from 2012. But that R2 looks so much better than the last one, I hope lego includes it in more sets.

Great review TomatoSoup, you make this set look a lot better than I thought it was going to turn out. However I probably won't buy it since I already own the green interceptor from 2012. But that R2 looks so much better than the last one, I hope lego includes it in more sets.

Subscribed! Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review 'TomatoSoup', I like this version of this fighter and a new Skywalker.....my son is holding out for another ROTS Anakin. :grin:

I'm trying to think back, but does this one seem more detailed ?

Anyway, it's on the shopping list for my son's birthday.....Brick On Review On 'TomatoSoup' ! :grin:

It's the head printing that's new on Anakin. As far as the ship design being an upgrade goes... The original version of his yellow interceptor did not have an astromech socket, nor did it come with a complete R2-D2. Those were things introduced to the LEGO Eta-2s in the 2012 Jedi Interceptor design, and it's nice to see an official release of the yellow one with them. We can only hope there will be a similar release of Obi-Wan's red interceptor.

Thankyou for all your feedbacks, they're all appreciated! :blush:

Thanks for the review 'TomatoSoup', I like this version of this fighter and a new Skywalker.....my son is holding out for another ROTS Anakin. :grin:

I'm trying to think back, but does this one seem more detailed ?

Anyway, it's on the shopping list for my son's birthday.....Brick On Review On 'TomatoSoup' ! :grin:

It actually is much more detailed and larger compared to the last yellow Eta-2 that came out in 2005, which i believe was in both 9494 and the Ultimate Space Battle. Thanks for the feedback Lightning, and i bid both you and your son to keep bricking on too! :grin:

It's the head printing that's new on Anakin. As far as the ship design being an upgrade goes... The original version of his yellow interceptor did not have an astromech socket, nor did it come with a complete R2-D2. Those were things introduced to the LEGO Eta-2s in the 2012 Jedi Interceptor design, and it's nice to see an official release of the yellow one with them. We can only hope there will be a similar release of Obi-Wan's red interceptor.

True, just noticed the exclusion of the droid socket of the older model. and this one is way more larger and detailed. And i really hope they release Obi's red Eta-2 because it's an exclusive to only one set, and it's a shame because it's so gorgeous :wub:

Edited by TomatoSoup

Great review. Changed my mind on picking up this set. I like the new R2 and Anakin.

Edited by ETAV8R

Nice review! I want the new R2, but I'd rather get the V-Wing.

Am I the only one to notice the printing error on the republic insignia? - It should look like a sun with 8 rays, not with 6 like the Imperial

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080311202150/starwars/images/d/de/Republic_Emblem.svg

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080220004325/starwars/images/2/2e/Imperial_Emblem.svg

Nice set, with another new R2-D2! Are there any differences to the body piece?

I believe so, if only the colors. it's a much darker blue than the previous ones.

Nice review! I want the new R2, but I'd rather get the V-Wing.

Am I the only one to notice the printing error on the republic insignia? - It should look like a sun with 8 rays, not with 6 like the Imperial

http://static3.wikia...blic_Emblem.svg

http://static2.wikia...rial_Emblem.svg

Great eye there! looks to me like an imperial insignia with opposite colors. foreshadowing, perhaps? :tongue:

Great review. I just don't understand why they have printed the commlink on both sides of his head, surely it would have so much more play value if they put a normal face on one side.

Great review. I just don't understand why they have printed the commlink on both sides of his head, surely it would have so much more play value if they put a normal face on one side.

It's because he used both expressions during the flight to Grievous' ship.

A lovely incarnation of the Interceptor. My only gripe is that empty canopy under the right wing. Anyone know what purpose that serves?

"Let's try spinning, that's a good trick!"

Sorry I had to... And I use the revival of your topic to say thank you for this review! I think it's a great little model and it was a good idea to launch the 30€ vehicles line. Out of the four models from January, this is by far my favorite, even without a landing gear. It's really too bad that they didn't continue the "great vehicles" sub-category for the summer sets, the Snowspeeder or an updated Cloud Car or T-16 would have been great additions to this line. Perhaps in the winter wave, who knows.

A lovely incarnation of the Interceptor. My only gripe is that empty canopy under the right wing. Anyone know what purpose that serves?

It kinda serves as landing gear. In the 2012 version it acted as a pod for flick missiles. It's just empty space now. I can't thing of anything good to put there.

I like this review, thanks for showing the details of the new ETA-2 Interceptor. I just loved the green one so I was sure I had to have this one, too. What a fine looking fighter. I only need one for Obi-Wan and that will be good enough for me!