Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #94: Go Now, In Peace

"Althior is mostly right. A former hero of Heroica, now an undead necromancer named Amber Makepeace, wanted to make everyone in Eubric - and then Olegaia too - undead, to settle the differences between undead and living. She resurrected a Dastanese Comet Killer, a skeletal dragon - it was her test subject - but we managed to defeat both the necromancer and the dragon. As Althior said, we spared the life of Count von Zarovitch, a vampire working for this necromancer, and we don't know where he is now. We purged the tomb of the undead paladins, so there will be no further threat coming from that area."

I won't retort to his remark about me "solidifying her point"; I don't want any more trouble. Being on this quest has actually shown me that the undead aren't all mindless zombies controlled by necromancers who need to be destroyed- they have personalities too and are not unlike us. My view has changed drastically- but I won't admit this out loud for the sake of my pride.

McCreary listens intently, looking shocked at the news he's hearing. It takes him a minute to register with him, but he finally takes a swig from the whiskey bottle.

12293546743_c50c56761b_o.jpg

"It seems I owe you... some background history then...

Amber... Amber was my daughter. At the age of eighteen, my attempts at convincing her in following the teachings of Ennoc, a path my forefathers had followed, failed, and she quickly joined Heroica. I went of to assist the Kingdom of the Red Lizard in the High Kingdoms shortly after that, leaving for two years. In that time, she had become a well trained assassin and changed her last name. It was during her second year that she signed up and was chosen to head north to Värtland with four other heroes to stop a brood of Wendigos, undead creatures that eat and prey on the living. Needless to say... only two returned. I heard about what happened shortly, and against my orders, I left the High Kingdoms and sailed for the north. It took me seven months until I finally found the spot where most of the party had met their end. I found the corpse of the raider, his limbs torn from his torso, frozen solid. The were-tiger... she'd been eviscerated. Her internal organs had been removed... forcibly. I later learned that two of them escaped the fate of their fellow heroes, the Battle Mage, Pyro the Visionary, and a knight, Emmanuelle Janus. They both left the organization two years later. Amber's body though... I never found it. With my name tarnished, and my reputation ruined with the Paladins, I came into the position of pastor of this church. All of this... happened four years ago."

McCreary takes another shot of whiskey, looking on the verge of tears.

Throlar strode over to McCreary and and placed his right hand on the pastor's left shoulder and said;

"I'm sorry," he said, with his voice filled with emotion,"I'm sorry we had to bring this up, and I'm sorry for your sorrows, but the ghosts of those memories have come back to you and taken physical form, so you have to deal with them, and the best way to deal with them..."

Throlar then gave the whiskey bottle a slight shove, and it toppled off the edge of desk and shattered with a resounding crash.

"DRAGON!"

This cry startled almost everyone in the room, Meldrim was sitting bolt upright in his chair quivering, his eyes wide open.

"Sorry, I just had a bad dream, yes, just a dream, a enormous red dragon was attacking Titaan and..."

"Meldrim," said Throlar, "you're killing the moment."

Eric listened carefully to what the priest had to say. He longed for his home when Värtland was mentioned. Too long had he stayed in the south, but not long enough to earn his redemption. Eric hadn't felt more Norse than now in a long time. He had felt forsaken and abandonned, but now he sees clear again.

"Ennoc is a weakling god of little power in the north. There it is Helvetia who looks after those who please her. Your daughter was most likely saved by the Ice Mother, because she had turned her back on Ennoc in the past. Alas, it seems to me the godess had no further plans with her and so we haven taken her out. Such is the way of things."

Bitterly he added, "one moment you're the chosen, the next moment you're a nobody. Alone. It's in such times that one needs to show how strong they are the most."

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea she was related to you...maybe she's found peace now..."

"Ennoc is a weakling god of little power in the north. There it is Helvetia who looks after those who please her. Your daughter was most likely saved by the Ice Mother, because she had turned her back on Ennoc in the past. Alas, it seems to me the godess had no further plans with her and so we haven taken her out. Such is the way of things."

"Shut up, you know nothing about gods, firstly, there is no such thing as a god who has less power in one place than another, secondly, I doubt think your Ice Mother or whoever the hell you call her gives a damm about that, and thirdly, Amber is still out there, but she doesn't frighten me, what does frighten, no terrifies me, is the wraith-like shadow that follows her everywhere, she scares me."

Eric glared at the dwarf. The stupidity and plain ignorance this being showcased was baffling. The Nord rolled his eyes. Had he any sympathy for the dwarf, he pity him, but now he only felt disdain.

"Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth and let people think you're stupid, than speak and confirm that you are indeed an idiot" Hell yeah, Oscar Wilde quotes! :tongue:

I'll be gone 'till monday without internet. So that was probably it for me. Thanks Kintober for hosting and the others as well. It was fun :thumbup:

Eric glared at the dwarf. The stupidity and plain ignorance this being showcased was baffling. The Nord rolled his eyes. Had he any sympathy for the dwarf, he pity him, but now he only felt disdain.

"Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth and let people think you're stupid, than speak and confirm that you are indeed an idiot"

"In that case keep your mouth shut."

"In that case keep your mouth shut."

"Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd listen to the blonde this time," :look:

"It seems I owe you... some background history then...

"I-" Althior paused "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But you need to remember, if you find her, she's not the same Amber you once knew. Be careful, Mr McCreary. She's manipulative and cunning now. Don't let her fool you,"

After a moment of silence, Althior speaks up again, "Not to soil anything, but we should probably get out of here before the watch shows up. I don't feel like they'll enjoy seeing me. Patricia and I aren't exactly on the best terms," He chuckled.

"Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd listen to the blonde this time," :look:

"Look blue, ever since I've met this creep I've been trying my hardest not to snap his neck with my bare hands, so don't make me want to do the same to you too, please?"

"I-" Althior paused "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But you need to remember, if you find her, she's not the same Amber you once knew. Be careful, Mr McCreary. She's manipulative and cunning now. Don't let her fool you,"

After a moment of silence, Althior speaks up again, "Not to soil anything, but we should probably get out of here before the watch shows up. I don't feel like they'll enjoy seeing me. Patricia and I aren't exactly on the best terms," He chuckled.

Throlar nods at the first statement and raises his eyebrow at the the second.

"Don't know what that meant, but if I'm right I'd like to say something, The Ends Do Not Justify The Means."

"Throlar," said Meldrim "please don't."

Bitterly he added, "one moment you're the chosen, the next moment you're a nobody. Alone. It's in such times that one needs to show how strong they are the most."

McCreary glares at Erik, drinking away at his whiskey.

"I do not know how my daughter was resurrected, but in one aspect, you're correct. I'm certain you've had moments yourself when your past catches up to you suddenly, and unexpectedly."

"She was always a troublemaker, even before she joined Heroica. I'm surprised she made it through the academy to be honest. I expect she'll return from wherever she came from... as much as I fear the day.

He takes another swig of his drink, taking a deep breath.

"I understand, Althior. Despite this dour turn of events, you've done what you set out to do, and you've done me and this cemetery a great service."

He reaches into his robes and pulls out four red pouches, laying them on the table, the sound of coins jingling against one another as the hit the table.

"One hundred and fifty gold, as promised. Thank you gentlemen. I'd advise leaving through the backdoor to avoid attention. I'll make sure the watch gets the information they need."

The party leaves the pastor and Jensen as the two get up to see them off.

13566634024_7e4f2dbe89.jpg

"Farewell, heroes. May we meet again during better times."

The party trudges to the front cemetery gates, Althior's undead having seemingly disappeared. They head back out onto the street where shops were beginning to open, and people were beginning to go about their business. As they cross the street, the party can see Town Watchmen begin to file into the area, a few entering the Way's End Church, as McCreary's outline lets them in. Whether Amber would show her pale face again, the party did not know, but her attempts truly showed that Eubric was, and is, an ever changing city...

The Quest Was Successful!

eric_4_av_zps2b93f651.jpgEric (Khorne)

30 year old Human Nord

Level 23 1/3 Raider *Natural Respite* *Immune to Fragile* *Evasion* *Counterstrike* *Encouraged, Hastened, And Lucky*

Power: 45 (22+23)

Defense: 5

Health: 31/41 (8+22+7+4)

Gold: 274

Equipment: Godricsleif (WP: 22; Ice-, Lightning-, Darkness-elemental), Counterstrike Gloves (after the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level), Boots of Evasion (Wearer takes half damage in front row), Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)

Inventory: Drengazuli Grom'az (WP:6; Twin Axe: Attacks two enemies in one turn); Crocodile Belt (Max. health +2, immunity to water; accessory); 2x Diseased Silverfish Wings (WP:8 + Cursed throwing dagger); 6x Silverfish Wings (WP:8 throwing dagger); Fire bomb; Lightning bomb; Venom; Grand Potion (11x); Remedy (3x); Mead (6x); Smelling Salts (4x); Nostrum (5x); Mulled Wine (3x); Garnet; Scroll of Sleep, Neutralizer, Murky Pearl (Worth 25 gold), Bone, Dragon Scale

fb957f5f-eb76-4fed-ab00-fcf7d3e8445a_zps36439132.jpg

Avalanche, the Super Sleuth (Dragonfire)

29 years old male yeti Barbarian *Natural Respite* *Immune to Fragile* *Counterstriking* *Hastened and Lucky*

Level 13 1/2

Power: 20 (13+7)

Health: 21/21 (13+7+1*)

SP: 5

Gold: 280

Equipment: Trollsbane (club, WP:7, earth-elemental) Poisoned: 1, Heavy Armour (immune to fragile, SP:5), Counterstrike Gloves (after the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to the damage taken)

Inventory: 5x Potion, Grand Potion, Mulled Wine, Smoke Bomb, 4x Venom, 2x Phoenix Incense, Pumpkin Bomb (causes the stunned-, blinded-, poisoned by 1-, asleep-, sealed- and confused- effects to all opponents), Lightning Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Holy Bomb, 8x Bone, Skeleton Decoy, Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, vermin with less than half of the wearer's level are scared and won't directly attack the wearer, bodywear), Murky Pearl (Worth 25 gold), Bone Halberd (WP: 6, effective against undead), Emergency Essence

(*One Chicken Drumstick eaten)

8664722617_bb6be3521f_t.jpgAlthior Emorith (And Finnegan) *Party Leader*

Level 39 Necromancer *Earns triple XP*

Power: 51 (57 for spells)

Power Bonus: +5 Spells

Defense: 6 4+2

Health: 49/49 5+5+Chicken Drumstick (1)+34

Ether: 41/58 5+5+33+4+Ectoplasm (2)

Gold: 450

Equipment:

Scepter of Divine Affinity (WP:12, Has â…™ chance to deal Cursed effect on attacks and â…™ chance to deal Blessed effect on successful healing, Staff), Spellbound Gloves (+5 power when casting Spells, doubled if target is weak to Element, Handwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4, Backwear), Medal of Glory (Wearer earns triple experience, Accessory), Robe of the Elven Necromancer (SP: 4, Body Wear)

Inventory:

Consumables: Skeleton Decoy, Potion x5, Tonic x11, Grand Potion, Grand Tonic x5, Ether Core x2, Remedy x9, Mead, Smelling Salts, Elixirs x2, Phoenix Incense x2, Garnet Lamp of Summoning, Emergency Essence, Grating Stone x2, Deadly Poison, Dragon Scale

Weapons: Dragoro (WP:8, Wand), Skull Shield (SP: 6, immune to darkness elemental damage), Oculoid Claw (WP: 13, Club, 1/6 chance of infecting the targeted enemy on successful hits.), Makepeace (WP: 6, scythe)

Tools: Bedroll, Bone x3, Holy Water (Quest Item)

Artifacts: The Rat Queen's Cape (Backwear, all Vermin type are Enamored with the wearer for the first three rounds of combat, Suitable for Alchemists, Beast Warriors, Chi Monks, and Witches), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from the stunned effect, suitable for black knights), Numbered Tokens (Quest Item)

Gemstones: Diamond (Light), Topaz (Lightning), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire), Sapphire (Wind), Garnet (Earth), Opal (Ice), Aquamarine (Water), Emerald (Wood)

12237651266_0841a932fd_q.jpgThrolar Wineghilm

134 year old male Dwarven Knight

Level: 11

Power: 23

Health: 20/20

Gold: 575

Equipped: Mopagsaber (WP 12, ice elemental, longsword), Poncanis Shield (SP 5), Crow Helmet (SP: 1, flying enemies do not deal free hits to the wearer, suitable for knights and Dragoons)

Inventory: Remedy, Mace and Chain (Mace, WP 3), Elven Sword (WP 5, longsword) Bedroll, Elven Shield (SP 3, All elves in the party gain an equal amount of Sp so long as the wielder is standing.), Smoke Bomb, Mulled Wine, Phoenix Essence, Potion, Hint Coin (Gives the user a hint about a puzzle or tricky situation. Usable only once. Has no monetary value.) , Murky Pearl (Worth 25 gold), Bone, Skeleton Decoy, Opal

QM NOTE: That's a wrap! Hope you guys enjoyed the quest, since I had a fun time hosting you. Despite some hiccups, you were a great crew and I'd enjoy hosting any of you again. I'll have my full thoughts over in the Quest Master's Lounge a little later, so feel free to leave your own opinions over there as well, as I'd love to hear them! Thanks for joining me, and I hope to see you all again in the future. :classic: -Kintobor

Edited by Kintobor

QM NOTE: McCreary most likely heard you and decided not to respond. :wink:

Avalanche nodded to McCreary before taking his 150 gold coins and leaving the Cemetery.