DrColossus

An Incident at Unnecessary Bridge

[When last we saw Olin and his trusty hose Sigrd, they were trekking sadly through endless snow, dragging their anvil behind them.]

At one point, Olin was convinced that there was nothing but snow and ice, and there would never be green again. He and Sigrd the horse had walked in silence for days, hoping to find a village, a trade caravan - even a goat path would have sufficed, as it might have pointed them in a direction. And then... suddenly... a river, glittering in the sun and running with pieces of ice! And a bridge! And plant life of some sort! Olin's heart soared, and he and Sigrd made quickly for the bridge over the river.

They stopped at the near side of the bridge. "Sigrd" asked Olin, "why is this bridge here? Is this even, technically, a river? I am pretty sure I could jump over it." Sigrd peered at the river, and then nodded his head in agreement. The horse approached the bank and prepared to step easily across, when suddenly:

"Olin the Smith!" boomed a voice across the water. The travelers looked up in shock, to see a strange old man on the other side.

428862fa-70ae-4f40-9772-1399dee2cb86.jpg

"Hail to you, old man!" said Olin, who was impressed by the oldster's mustache. He was also impressed by his hat, which glowed blue and had some sort of a... feather? blue flame? ... on top of it. The man also held a stick which glowed a bright blue at one end. "How do you know me?"

"Never mind!" boomed the man. "I know all that I need to know, and I come to make you a trade. I know you need money to pay the dwarves. In return, I need something of you. Will you do it?"

Olin was about to ask what was being asked of him, but Sigrd stomped a hoof worryingly near his foot. Sigrd was very practical, and was not about to let this chance of treasure escape by foolishly asking about conditions and trades. Olin simply nodded.

"Very well!" said the old man. "It is done!" Olin looked down and saw 2 jewels at his feet, a green and a yellow. When he looked up, the old man was gone!

"That was strange, yes, Sigrd? But oh well, on we go!" He approached the bridge, when suddenly... suspicious looking fellows!

9255fc66-7451-43a9-87cb-b3a343a9345c.jpg

"Ah!" said Olin to himself. "Another bearded person! Perhaps he can explain what that old man wanted." But before he could ask, the bearded one with the worrying-looking axe shouted "Take him down! He serves the old man!"

Before the smith knew what was happening, one of the three rushed onto the bridge, and came screaming at him waving a huge sword that, very obviously, had not seen the care of a good blacksmith! Olin fell back onto the bridge, dropping his hammer. This was trouble!

298bb48f-8ba6-4aba-bc5b-29a52c064ef8.jpg

But then: help, in the form of an angry Sigrd, who splashed into the stream river and bounded over the bridge, knocking the assailant off - and knocking him out!

68481237-ab64-4a85-9512-0f698ca2068e.jpg

In the meantime, Olin scrambled off the bridge and retrieved his hammer. With all the might a confused blacksmith can muster, he swung and laid out the attacker with the mace. This second assailant floated away slowly in the cold water.

d76b47a8-dd28-4f06-a568-fd0f336c3672.jpg

At this point, the bearded gentleman - presumably the leader of the ruffians - decided he had had enough. He turned and fled, dropping his axe and a piece of parchment as he ran! Olin tried to pursue him, hammer held proudly high, but in the end he decided against it.

ad2d129f-b1ef-4630-91d1-51b7a5f72f5a.jpg

After all, he had not eaten properly in a few days, and Sigrd would want to be getting along on their journey. Instead, he picked up the axe - the haft of the axe would serve nicely for his hammer, giving him a better grip - and he tucked the parchment away in his bad. He recognized the writing as some kind of clan runes, but he could not read them.

"So many mysteries!" said Olin. Sigrd snorted, to remind Olin that the greatest mystery of all was where they might find a good meal. The two companions traveled on, following the river towards what they hoped was a town.

This story is very enrapturing! You have definitely built anticipation for the rest of your builds. I would recomend working on your photography and maybe adding a backdrop for your builds.

This story is very enrapturing! You have definitely built anticipation for the rest of your builds. I would recomend working on your photography and maybe adding a backdrop for your builds.

Thank you! I agree. I think I need to use a real camera (cell phone cam is very limiting), and get some better lighting. The room itself is not very bright, so I either have to get some more lamps or start taking pics during the day with the window wide open. Do you have any advice for backdrops? I hadn't really thought much about that yet.

I've recently started using a white piece of poster board. It takes away the harsh lines of walls and tables and adds a consistant feel to the background. Sometimes I need 2 pieces depending on how big the model is, but they are super cheap (in the States at least).

Good job with the minifig posing, I especially like the last one with the black beard...fits very well with that torso.