I am planning to build a Lego Model Railway which will be based on UK Railways, in the former Southern region of the UK, Just updated the image below as the measurements were wrong, should have been in inches, the track plan was done in Anyrail 5, The Station area will be able to handle 4 coaches plus a locomotive, the dotted line will be a lifted section of the railway or a disused overgrown track

12295980433_7a06e41d3d_c.jpg

My Lego LNER Flying Scotsman is 18 inches Long, while the coaches I have Designed are 14 inches in length

Started designing one of the first modules, the first one will include a level crossing, working level crossing gates, a road and signal box and working semaphore signal

12296280385_5309f4d185_c.jpg

Edited by jamesed_1971

I think your measurements are off.

Three tracks side by side, plus some is around 48 studs or 2 baseplates or 20 inches or 508 millimetres.

A turntable 20 studs across will fit one and a quarter pieces of track, unless you're running very short locos, you'll need something bigger.

Otherwise, it looks like a really good plan. Looking forward to some WIP photos.

The turntable is 20 inches / 64 studs long and wide, as my Lego Flying Scotsman which is 18 inches long

Edited by jamesed_1971

Nice design! Looks like you also got some inspiration from model railroad enthusiasts :)

@Spitfire2865, I agree, but it is even better to make a reversing loop imho.

Yes

i agree with comment, seem to be a very nice layout, but dims sounds too little.

it seems to be longer than my 5 meter long track :look:

A turntable big enough for an EN over similar will be an attractive feature!

Assuming then you're running bogie stock coaches at about 30 studs length, the station loop itself is about 12 pieces of track long or 6 baseplates or 60 inches or 1524 mm. That's before point work, turntable and overrun and scenic area.

For reference the length you have listed, 2700mm is about 11 baseplates or 22 straight pieces of track.

Are you planning 9v or plastic track? Are you planning baseplates on all the boardwork or you'll go for a modeling look with some lego items? Will you go so far as to motorise your point work and turntable?

It will be interesting to see this made. I have considered doing similar as I do not have a lot of room to leave anything up and if I did it would be similar. I find though that with the level of control you ghet from the PF controller and IR unit that a small layout like this is hard to function and is very jerky with stop/starts. On the other hand oval tracks of similar size in LEGO Mini-figure scale are so short that the train is whizzing through the station only seconds after it has left. Neither very realistic. I would still like to see how you do though as maybe you can over come these issues? I guess if it is a small layout and you are using small tank engines and the like with small local or goods trains it could look good. I get that you want to run your Flying Scotsman (And who wouldn't?) but I am not sure how it will look on such a small confined space? It will be good to keep up to date with the project though once it is going and we can see actual photographs of it all being built and in action.

I realized early that the measurement were wrong, I have corrected the plan, the layout will be supported by a baseboard covered by Lego base plates 32 studs wide x 32 studs long, the Lego model railway will be divided into modules which will be 64 studs wide and 64 studs long, The turntable will be motorized by Lego Power Function Motors, the same for the points, level crossing cates and signals

I like the look of the crossing but have you checked your clearance with your locos. one brick high looks like it will hit motors and the underbody of wheels. Check my crossing on my Moc as I rase my track up by two plates I needed to try and level that to my road plates. Also that road system looks costly in plates.

Cool.

For those who don't use inches, the layout is about 7,3 meters in length.

Approx 80 baseplates will go underneath.

@lazarus I think from the plan the crossing is on the disused spur, so clearance isn't an issue.