Erynlasgalen

Kaliphlin Community Build- Sultan's Gate

The time has finally come for the Kaliphlin Community Build for Sultan's Gate!

Your challenge:

Help rebuild the great city of Sultan’s Gate! A ruined lonely city will once again be rebuilt and revitalized with the help of the Kaliphlin guild members. There are no restrictions on what you can build for the city- markets, homes, businesses, temples, towers and walls all need to be rebuilt to their former glory in Sultan’s gate.

Your Inspiration:

Sultan’s Gate is a fortified town on top of the Great Escarpment, and its architecture draws from both Mediterranean and Middle Eastern building styles. It sits on the main trading route between the realms of Mitgardia and Nocturnus and one of its crowning jewels is the defensive first gate that traders and villagers must pass through to enter the town. Being built on the top of the Escarpment the town has many height variations, and as you climb the hills towards the highest peak, the differences in the wealth of the city can be clearly seen. Wealthier merchants and residents prefer to live at the top of town near the citadel, rather than near the main entrance.

Primarily tan fortified walls span around and throughout the whole town, and with it being located on the lower end of the Escarpment the walls only range from 10-12 studs high and six studs wide. The new walls are built upon the ruins of the old wall and all sections are similar but not necessarily identical due to this.

At the moment the town is made up of many temporary buildings located both inside and outside of the main walls. The city outside the walls consists of more temporary and quickly made shelters while inside the walls sits more permanent buildings. Due to the location and elevation, building materials are harder to transport so most villagers in the town do utilize the old ruins when building new structures in the town.

aragon.jpg

Dale.jpg

Zaragoza_Featuring_Aragon_Spain_485x728.jpg

Philosophy_and_Tradition_Viazari_Spain2.jpg

The prizes!

We have the new Hobbit set 79012 Mirkwood Elf Army and three Kaliphlin inspired part packs to give away during this community build.

a_79012_box_front.jpg

12252604674_512e36b185_z.jpg

The community build will be ongoing; however only MOCs posted between February 1st, 2014 and July 31st 2014 will be eligible for the prizes above.

How to win:

Set 79012: This set will be given away to the person who wins by popular vote for the overall best MOC built between February 1st, 2014 and July 31st, 2014. After August 1st, everyone who participated will PM me their favorite build to be included and then voting will be opened up to the Eurobrick members to pick their favorite.

Kaliphlin part pack: For every free build MOC made pertaining to Sultan’s Gate you will be awarded points that will be converted to entries into the random lottery draw for these packs. 1 point equals one entry! The more MOCs you make the more times your name will be entered into the lottery to win!

You have two simple ways to get points for entries:

1st: Main Gate Challenge: From February 1st, 2014 to March 31st, 2014 build what you think the main gate of the city looks like. After the 31st we will open up voting to Kaliphlin members for the best gate and the MOC will officially be used as the Main Entrance of Sultan’s Gate.

One point will be awarded for participating in the Gate Challenge (one entry point per Kaliphlin member) and the winner will receive one additional point.

2nd- Points will be awarded for all free build MOCs done related to Sultan’s Gate:

MOCS sized 8X8- 32X32 studs will be awarded .5 points each

MOCS sized 33X33 studs and up will be awarded 1 point each

A running tally of points will be kept at the end of this thread and will be updated regularly with your total. If anything is missed or if you think your total is wrong, please send me a PM with your concerns.

Contest Rules:

• You must be a member of the Kaliphlin Guild to participate.

• Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously).
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands.
  • To be eligible for points all entries must be posted in a separate topic and started with the following text- SG: Your Topic name. You can also add a link to this thread with your topic so no one gets overlooked.
  • Quality over quantity is what we are looking for. I reserve the right to ask for a MOC to be improved if it is found that effort was not used in order to rack up more entry points.
  • To help spread the prize love through the whole guild, you are only eligible to win Set 79012 plus one part pack. If your name is drawn more than once for a pack, the entry will be discarded and awarded to the next valid name drawn.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.

What are you waiting for? Grab your bricks and get building!

MOC Index

Edited by Erynlasgalen

Great that this community build gets going!

The gate challenge deadline of February 28th is unfortunately way too soon for me, I'd probably need more than those four weeks to have any time with my tan bricks (not least because of Lego World in Copenhagen in 2 weeks).

If we were to get a couple of more weeks to get our gates ready (as the gate after all is the centerpiece of the town) I'd be happy to put my best effort in there :classic:

Edited by Gideon

Great that this community build gets going!

The gate challenge deadline of February 28th is unfortunately way too soon for me, I'd probably need more than those four weeks to have any time with my tan bricks (not least because of Lego World in Copenhagen in 2 weeks).

If we were to get a couple of more weeks to get our gates ready (as the gate after all is the centerpiece of the town) I'd be happy to put my best effort in there :classic:

Easy enough fix! I've gone and pushed the dates back to March 31st, so everyone has more time to build for it :)

Nice build competition! *sorry to point out typo, but at the start of the bullet points it says Kalphin*

Nice build competition! *sorry to point out typo, but at the start of the bullet points it says Kalphin*

Thanks! It seems no matter how many times you reread through, there is always at least one missed :wink:

Sweet! It'll be great to see more of the Kaliphlin style being represented!

Looks like a fantastic contest! Good luck to all Kaliphlians. :thumbup:

Those prizes :wub:

This is going to be superb! I am on it already. I might have to make a bit of an upgrade to my current build.

A few questions: can we have multiple entries to the gate challenge?

Can the gate entries also go into the free build challenge? Eg if we have buildings around the gate.

The walls are lower than I have planned for my gate/shambles district surrounding buildings. Is it a problem if we go higher?

Thanks for your hard work and prizes Eryn!

:classic:

This is going to be superb! I am on it already. I might have to make a bit of an upgrade to my current build.

A few questions: can we have multiple entries to the gate challenge?

Can the gate entries also go into the free build challenge? Eg if we have buildings around the gate.

The walls are lower than I have planned for my gate/shambles district surrounding buildings. Is it a problem if we go higher?

Thanks for your hard work and prizes Eryn!

You are free to build multiple gates, but you will need to pick only one to be put up for the voting and that will be the one which gets the full point (regardless of size). All the others will be scored as free builds according to the guidelines above.

The town is on the Escarpment, so some of the walls could be higher than the standard 10/12 depending on where your place your buildings so you should be fine making them a little higher. I wouldn't go outrageous with them though so that everything still has a cohesive feel though.

Yaay, this looks like fun, thanks for orginising it Eryn! Once i'm sorted with the post-convention breakdown (yeah, still going), i'll get started on something for this. :classic::thumbup:

You are free to build multiple gates, but you will need to pick only one to be put up for the voting and that will be the one which gets the full point (regardless of size). All the others will be scored as free builds according to the guidelines above.

The town is on the Escarpment, so some of the walls could be higher than the standard 10/12 depending on where your place your buildings so you should be fine making them a little higher. I wouldn't go outrageous with them though so that everything still has a cohesive feel though.

Thanks Eryn. These are very sensible.

I feel like the gate itself would be higher and the shambles around it is built in to the gate so that's going to be a bit higher too. Won't be stupid though.

Edit - on the height thing, 12 studs is quite a bit shorter than I would build a 2-storey dwelling. Are these walls designed to be low? Most city walls I have seen are 2-3 stories high, though of course there are low ones too.

Edited by robuko

I think because some of the walls are on the edge of the escarpment their height wouldn't matter, but the walls to the south seem to need to be a bit higher, IMHO. Although, I think 12 may have been chosen to allow those with smaller collections the ability to create compatible walls too.

I think because some of the walls are on the edge of the escarpment their height wouldn't matter, but the walls to the south seem to need to be a bit higher, IMHO. Although, I think 12 may have been chosen to allow those with smaller collections the ability to create compatible walls too.

I pulled the numbers from some discussions on it previously, and it was mentioned they could be shorter since we had the Escarpment and some people had smaller collections to work from. I agree some parts would be higher depending on the terrain, so I wouldn't worry about the height very much- they were more like guidelines to get people started. Just have fun with it, if someone makes a 50 stud wall, I am sure us Kaliphlins can come up with a story for why it is so high on that section :laugh:

A lot of British castles have walls with varying heights as they were added to over hundreds of years. Perhaps you could go for something similar?

Upon seeing and reading about planned builds, I'm considering changing my entry to portray the South gate instead of the North gate to keep builds from being "wasted". Robuko has done a fine job with the inside view of the North gate and Gideon seems like he is going to portray the outside view which I'm sure will be just as brilliant as ever, so instead of competing and "wasting" builds, I'm thinking that other entries can represent other gates of the city. As the road travels through the city, I'm not sure referring to the North gate as the main gate would entirely be accurate as the South gate would be used just as much unless the majority of the trade ends here.

I'm reposting parts of what I wrote in Robuko's thread:

I envision Sultan's Gate to be located on top of a part of the great escarpment sloping just a little less, alternatively being partly collapsed so that a narrow and winding path finds it's way up to the top. This means that wheels are not feasible, you need legs to get up. Some beasts of burden like camels and mules might be able to make the treacherous climb up the path to Sultan's Gate themselves, but elephants or the larger or less sure of foot of the various Nocturnian creatures used by their traders most probably won't. So I imagine there's good business also in just transferring the goods from the bottom to the top of the escarpment.

Maybe the makeshift transfer camp at the base of the path (at least partially run by the orcs now settled there) would be a possible addition to the Sultan's Gate CB? :classic:

Mike S: As you say there should probably be at least one more "main gate" for traffic southwards out of Sultan's Gate. Since the north gate can use the escarpment itself as parts of it's defenses, this south gate might very well be at least as well fortified as the north gate?

Edited by Gideon

Mike S: As you say there should probably be at least one more "main gate" for traffic southwards out of Sultan's Gate. Since the north gate can use the escarpment itself as parts of it's defenses, this south gate might very well be at least as well fortified as the north gate?

I like the idea of the transfer camp.

Yes I imagine the South gate to be as fortified as the North gate as it would make the North gate almost useless if the city could be captured with only a small effort from the south. I've made the walls on my entry 16 studs high as they do not have the security of the escarpment.

I would say that the voting could be for the 'real' North Gate, but other built gates could well be considered other gates of the city.

After all it doesn't really matter to much IMHO if only one build is picked as real & all the others are just faulty artist's renditions; they've still been built and earn free-build points, etc.