Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

HMS Bulldog

[pid][/pid] 158A

Wow, first off I have to say there are some amazing ships in this thread. I can hardly believe the talent of the builders on this site.

Anyways, as my first post I wanted to share this 18th century sailing ship I just completed. She turned out stubbier looking than I had hoped for, so I dubbed her the HMS Bulldog. A 12-gun sloop, she also carries a pair of mortars and a naval ram.

I've cobbled together a few sailing ships together, but this is the first time's I've gone with a 100 percent brick-built hull and custom rigging.

Not the prettiest tub on the high seas but I think she turned out alright. I'm gonna try to work on some sails but I plan to build a scene with her at dock, so she won't need them I suppose. Might just keep her naked haha!

Thanks for taking a peek!

-Patrick

P.S., I have some more pics of this ship on my flickr page, http://www.flickr.co...s/94545380@N06/

12242532115_dfa633ec1e.jpg

12243107996_1fbe3c84b3.jpg

12242719286_7205b47a71.jpg

HMS Bulldog 12 by MassEditor, on Flickr

12242143775_08d314fbea.jpg

HMS Bulldog 10 by MassEditor, on Flickr

Edited by MassEditor

She is quite stubby, but other than that she's fantastic! Your hull is fantastic, and the ram is really cool.

I hope to see more. pir_laugh2.gif

Edited by ManInATopHat

I like it! the overall curve of the ship is smooth and nice, and has abundant details, nicely done!

Thanks! Yeah she looks like the short school bus as far as sailing ships go haha. When I get ahold of more dark brown slopes I'd like to try this hull style on a larger size ship.

Hi there,

lovely little ship you've got here, and welcome on board. I hope, however, unlike a real bulldog it won't drool all over the crew.

I very much like your midship curving and the ornaments at the stern. Not such a big fan of the ram, though.

Your flickr-account is full of interesting MOCs. Very much a fan of the seaside scene. Will you introduce some of them here?

Regards

The batteringram look incredible. Simply just fantastic.

Now you just need a Bulldog as idol =)

i like the high stern, and the details upon very much.

But isn't she a bit short ???

Other than that. shes a real nice vessel.

Great little ship. I must ask is this inspired by AC. Black Flag at all? Looking at some of the details put me right into the world of the JackDaw from that game. Great work, look forward to hopefully seeing more from you.

AB.

Very nice - I also appreciate the mortars seen on flickr.

Is the lower deck accessible?

Anyway, you seemed to have managed to put a lot of cannons into a very small ship - but the ship has everything!

Great work on masts and rigging! pirate_satisfied.gif

Hi there,

lovely little ship you've got here, and welcome on board. I hope, however, unlike a real bulldog it won't drool all over the crew.

I very much like your midship curving and the ornaments at the stern. Not such a big fan of the ram, though.

Your flickr-account is full of interesting MOCs. Very much a fan of the seaside scene. Will you introduce some of them here?

Regards

Thanks Kolonialbeamter! Sure, I'd love to share! And as far as the drool bit goes, so far so good! :) actually, after looking at the builds and WIP you've posted around here, you should worry more about my drooling!

The batteringram look incredible. Simply just fantastic.

Now you just need a Bulldog as idol =)

i like the high stern, and the details upon very much.

But isn't she a bit short ???

Other than that. shes a real nice vessel.

Thanks! but yes she is too short. Fortunately the hull style I used can be easily added to some I'm gonna try to give her some more length - and more cannons! :)

Stubby, but I like it. You have a lot of details, I especially like the exterior of the captain's cabin :-)

Thanks Cousarmy0001!

Great little ship. I must ask is this inspired by AC. Black Flag at all? Looking at some of the details put me right into the world of the JackDaw from that game. Great work, look forward to hopefully seeing more from you.

AB.

Thanks AB! Yes, I was wondering if anyone would notice where I got some of my inspiration!

Very nice - I also appreciate the mortars seen on flickr.

Is the lower deck accessible?

Anyway, you seemed to have managed to put a lot of cannons into a very small ship - but the ship has everything!

Great work on masts and rigging! pirate_satisfied.gif

I appreciate your comments sir! Unfortunately the interiors are not accessible. I promise you wouldn't want to see them anyways, it's a mess in there! :)

Very nice ship with many great details.

Thanks Lasse! I've been drooling over your builds all morning!

Someone has been playing AC Black Flag ;)

I like the ram, most ship builders forget about the ram, or either make it way too small. One reason being is that it was partially underwater, so it was not always seen. Great job with the details, it has a very realistic look.

The inclusion of mortars is a great idea, I have been working on a few mortar deigns, do you have any pictures of the way you make yours?

Edited by pcvando

Thanks PCVANDO! I have to admit, the game has really got me interested into the lego ship world!

Im glad you like the ram, I'm honestly unsure about it haha. Not really practical, especially on a ship this small, but it gives it kinda a unique look. Here is a pic of the (very simple) mortars:

12242567794_41b894ac8a.jpg

mortars by MassEditor, on Flickr

I'd love to see what kind of mortars you had in mind. I struggled to come up with something simple but with the caliber deserving of this weapon.

Edited by MassEditor

the Ram looks a bit 'weird' imo but looks good, like the 'bowstatue' too.

Maybe a bit strange proportion, but it's a real cool ship. Great idea too of those mini-mortars.

ps. the other stuff, lotr, looks very cool too,

Well done, she looks a bit chubby but in a cosy manner.

Your costum hull works great, some lower angle pictures would be interesting pirate_classic.gif .

It's definitely a bit stout, haha, but that ram is just awesome. Really have not seen many depictions of age of sail naval rams, Lego or not.

I appreciate the feedback guys!

Well done, she looks a bit chubby but in a cosy manner.

Your costum hull works great, some lower angle pictures would be interesting pirate_classic.gif .

Here is an early build photo of the hull (if I tried to do this now, it would probably fall apart pir_laugh2.gif ). I think the snot slopes give a very nice curve to the hull. The problem I had was matching it with the standard build of the bow. In this photo especially it's a very ugly match up. I've got some ideas however to smooth the curves a little more that I want to try on my next ship.

12291191674_731a970965.jpg

Edited by MassEditor

Thanks PCVANDO! I have to admit, the game has really got me interested into the lego ship world!

Im glad you like the ram, I'm honestly unsure about it haha. Not really practical, especially on a ship this small, but it gives it kinda a unique look. Here is a pic of the (very simple) mortars:

12242567794_41b894ac8a.jpg

mortars by MassEditor, on Flickr

I'd love to see what kind of mortars you had in mind. I struggled to come up with something simple but with the caliber deserving of this weapon.

I usually find that I get the best results when using a bucket, or larger muzzle such as a barrel!

I hope you get at least one idea from my suggestion,

I quickly made a little example of what I meant, and added a few gunners/sailors to operate it! ;)

post-118609-0-85144300-1391654268_thumb.jpg

The next photo is a cutaway, its up to you how simple, or how complex you want the mortar design to be. Im just hoping to give you some ideas!

post-118609-0-59986300-1391654491_thumb.jpg

(Forgive the baseplate colour, it looks weird but is very cool, its an old lego system baseplate with a printed beach, grass and water)

Edited by pcvando

I appreciate the feedback guys!

Here is an early build photo of the hull (if I tried to do this now, it would probably fall apart pir_laugh2.gif ). I think the snot slopes give a very nice curve to the hull. The problem I had was matching it with the standard build of the bow. In this photo especially it's a very ugly match up. I've got some ideas however to smooth the curves a little more that I want to try on my next ship.

12291191674_731a970965.jpg

That hull actually looks very good,

I don't see a lot of costum hulls build out of SNOTted slope bricks, the bow is always difficult .

I have one myself of you're interested (link).

This MOC is great! I love these smaller ships, gives hope to the average LEGO fans that maybe someday they too can make such a creation!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

This MOC is great! I love these smaller ships, gives hope to the average LEGO fans that maybe someday they too can make such a creation!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Wow an honor indeed! Also, I love giving hope!pir_laugh2.gif

Thanks for the blog YYS4U!

Edited by MassEditor