Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Fabuland Hobbiton

fabuhobbiton4editfonteb_230114.jpg

This is my finished layout for Brickvention 2014, a lego convention that took place in Melbourne, Australia in the middle of Jan. Fabuland figures were a big fixture of my childhood (my sister had them), as was The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Mashing up the two themes was a huge nostalgia trip for me. You could tell all the children of the 70’s at the convention open days, cause they seemed enchanted by the distinctive anthropomorphic figures as well!

I had a full interior for the upper burrow and a partial cutaway interior for the lower right hand one as well. In addition, this was my first power functions moc, with a switch at the back making the sails on the windmill turn. There is a short video showing the windmill turning on my Flickr, for those who are interested. :classic:

fabuhobbiton3editeb_230114.jpg

fhobbiton9_2eb20114.jpg

fhobbiton4eb_220114.jpg

Some of the figures were hand painted to fit the Hobbit theme better, wheras i made others little vests and dresses out of fabric. The difference in treatment was because half of the Fabuland figs came from my partner's old childhood lego box - i wasn't going to paint on them! Gandalf also had his own robe/cloak made of leather and was topped by the official Gandalf hat, stuck on by a piece of Blu-tack. :classic:

fhobbiton8eb_220114.jpg

fhobbiton5eb_220114.jpg

fhobbiton7eb_220114.jpg

bv2eb_180114.jpg

A photo from my table at Brickvention. You might notice the lack of the small tree on top of the hill - that was a post-convention addition. (As was the swan and ducks)

fhobbiton18eb_220114.jpg

The ineriors seen from the back right-hand corner, (removing that module for better light) I've already been taken to task about how Tolkein specifically said that hobbit burrows were all build on one level; but then hobbits didn't have animal heads in the text either so whatevs. :wink: (Plus i ran out of brown bricks for the sides and i really wanted to add a larder!)

fhobbiton19eb_220114.jpg

fhobbiton20eb_220114.jpg

Bottom burrow - this cutaway was added late in the build, a great idea by Flickr user E.B. so thanks for that mate! It was quite hard to see the detail inside unless i pull the front wall away as i've done here. The button is for a light brick in the fireplace, but sadly it didn't turn out as bright as i would have liked. :sceptic:

I was lucky enough at Brickvention to win a commendation from the judges, which was pretty cool! (The prize was the Mini-modulars set, which is a super sweet build btw - now i want to complete it by building the 4 most recent models... :grin: )

Thanks for looking peeps! I hope you have enjoyed my build - c&c welcome of course!

Wow, this is amazing. I love all the detail. I'm a huge Tolkien fan (in the middle of reading the History of Middle Earth books right now) and I don't think a cellar larder is too much of a problem. Great job!

From the minute I read the title, I knew this was going to be great! Incredible work, Gabe! I love the river and trees, and the cobblestone path is perfect! All the buildings are done perfectly, as are the figs! Great job! :sweet::thumbup:

I don't know to describe how I feel about this except to say it's so pleasing! You know, like you just look at it, and it makes you smile.

Wow! That is impressive! It is so detailed and the mix-up works really well. Gandalf is fabul(and)ous and all the nature. So stunning. I can't stop watching! :wub:

I don't know to describe how I feel about this except to say it's so pleasing! You know, like you just look at it, and it makes you smile.

My thoughts exactly. It's been lovely to look at. In the flesh it must be magical.

Wow, this is amazing. I love all the detail. I'm a huge Tolkien fan (in the middle of reading the History of Middle Earth books right now) and I don't think a cellar larder is too much of a problem. Great job!

Thankyou! Yeah i guess there is always that one geek who wants to point out all the inaccuracies... :wink: I don't think it was a serious criticism, more of bit of a joke.

Very, very well done. Who knew Fabuland and LOTR would be such a great match.

Haha cheers! I did! Or at least i suspected. :blush: Ever since my partner pulled out the Fabuland elephant from her childhood toybox, i knew he would make a perfect Gandalf, and it kinda all went from there...

Haha this is as great as it is wacky. Fabulous work! :laugh:

Ah, i see what you did there! :wink: Thankyou!

From the minute I read the title, I knew this was going to be great! Incredible work, Gabe! I love the river and trees, and the cobblestone path is perfect! All the buildings are done perfectly, as are the figs! Great job! :sweet::thumbup:

Thanks infernum, i'm really glad you like it!

Wow! That is impressive! It is so detailed and the mix-up works really well. Gandalf is fabul(and)ous and all the nature. So stunning. I can't stop watching! :wub:

My thoughts exactly. It's been lovely to look at. In the flesh it must be magical.

Aw thanks so much peeps! I have to say that despite the frenetic pace of building leading up to Brickvention, this was quite a restful build to make. We've had some really hot days this summer, but looking at this always made me feel a little bit cooler. :wink:

Very nice layout with many great details :classic:

Sweet! This is fabulandous. :thumbup:

nice!

Thankyou so much guys, i really appreciate your kind words. :classic:

This build has brought me real true joy. So awesome. The paintwork on the figures is excellent and I love the depth of the interiors.

Aw thanks, hearing that brings a big smile to my face. :blush: I feel myself that the paintwork was a little rushed (mainly done all in one night), so i might go back and refine those figs a little.

Very detailed, congratulations! I especially like the interiors of the hobbitholes, just perfect!

Thankyou! Those interiors were fun to build and furnish. :classic:

The birch trees are stupendous!

Thanks Carson! I was going to make thinner ones but i was completely out of 1x1 round bricks, so i had to think again. I'm quite pleased with them myself! :classic:

This is great!

I have no idea what Fabuland is, but from the Hobbiton angle... Just wonderful. The texture and colors are very whimsical, and it really makes you feel like you are looking in at the shire on a warm sunny day!

Holy Bananas!! Just love this and interiors as well! Wow Gabe, you are really spoling us!

Now add some GoH touch to it and post it GoH as well! ;) Maybe Gabe is on a journey to a Avalonian hobbit town? =)

Wow, I love the interiors, so many great details! Excellent job Gabe!

Edited by Torgar

Beautiful :wub: I haven't seen many MOCs in Fabuland scale, it looks great, and the modified Fabuland figs look very fitting in the Shire :thumbup: The colors and shape of the windmill are lovely and all the interiors are superb. Your water effect works nicely, and I like that you used some good old blue in it. I'm always impressed by your builds and am definitely impressed with this :classic:

I've been following this for a while on Flickr and I must say the result is stunning. One of the things I like most are the shapes of the windmill, I think it's the best I've seen so far and it even works! :wub: