Itaria No Shintaku

Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary CUUSOO set Discussion

^I had a few light/sound sets from long ago. They were neat. I'll have to look for my old pieces to make them work.

I will have to watch the video later. But I am not surprised this passed. I am disappointed in no Oz set then. My daughter would have loved that. I assume too many new molds?

Oz was likely ignored due to the last film bombing, L. Frank Baum's possible racism, and or simply not wanting to pay more money to Warner Brothers.

Edit - correction.

Edited by Knightsword

It's nice we're getting Ghostbusters and all but I'm a little peeved they went down the easier road and we're getting another 1980's movie car. :sceptic: This had the potential to give us an awesome firehouse playset. So for me, somewhat disappointing.

All in all, typical for CUUSOO. :hmpf_bad:

^ The Oz sets were based on the classic film, so Disney would not have been involved.

Well, I do stand corrected it would be Warner Brothers and their lawyers

Lego produced light and sound sets in the past using a 9 volt battery box, and a simple sound brick. My brother had this set when we were little, and it wasn't that expensive. I know that if it doesn't have light and sound, I'm modifying it using this set!

I doubt they still have the capability to produce the 9V system without starting it from scratch again. By today's standards, I think putting in anything like that would raise the price tag by $15. Look at a set that has a modern light brick in it and those are much simpler to produce.

Oz was likely ignored due to the last film bombing, L. Frank Baum's possible racism, and or simply not wanting to pay more money to Warner Brothers.

Edit - correction.

Wait, I don't think the last filmed bombed financially. :wacko:

Congratulations, Brent. Thoroughly deserved. Us fellow Aussies are extremely proud of what you've done. Can't wait to get the set in my hands!

Now this might even be better be than BTTF......everyone knows.......Who ya gonna call ? Ghostbusters ! :laugh:

I still haven't got my BTTF set yet......oh, well, be I'll totally buying this Cuusoo set for sure ! :grin:

It's nice we're getting Ghostbusters and all but I'm a little peeved they went down the easier road and we're getting another 1980's movie car. :sceptic: This had the potential to give us an awesome firehouse playset. So for me, somewhat disappointing.

All in all, typical for CUUSOO. :hmpf_bad:

Except adding the firehouse would greatly increase the price of the set. And while fans of ghostbusters may be happy to buy the car they may not want to pay a great deal more for what is basically a brick building.

All the Cuusoo sets have been small and resonably priced, so yes this is typical of Cuusoo.

People should also keep,in mind that the license holders for any of theses idea could have easily said no. Because they are not interested, confined by other agreements or have future plans.

A set ultimately has to stand on it own, so those that are iconic are ultimately going to do much better than an original idea that does not already have an established fan base or has universal appeal.

All puns intended.

Please make the Ecto-1 look good, TLG. Not like that goofy Delorean.

I am stoked to see how this turns out. Could be an instant buy if done right!

3/7 are 3 too many in my opinion.

And yes, the Shinkai, Hayabusa, and Curiosity are all examples of scientific vehicles which again shows the lack of diversity and original ideas among the CUUSOO sets.

3 licensed sets, 3 scientific vehicles and 1 exo-suit mech. Well, I just don't see how that line up helps spreading the idea of creativity and originality that I thought was the goal of CUUSOO.

I thought the goal of CUUSOO was to have a mechanism for LEGO fans to be able to present to TLG their ideas for sets they'd like to see and then garner demonstrative support for them, for those fans who come up with ideas TLG uses to be able to benefit financially as well as by being able to get the sets they want, and for TLG to have an additional source of product ideas that includes a built-in indication of market interest. I don't think "creativity and originality" specifically was ever the goal; TLG already offers products that mesh with that. CUUSOO (roughly, "wish" or "wish into existence," remember) is just about a chance to get something one wants to see produced as an actual set (though creativity and originality is certainly a part of that, as with anything LEGO).

Except adding the firehouse would greatly increase the price of the set. And while fans of ghostbusters may be happy to buy the car they may not want to pay a great deal more for what is basically a brick building.

All the Cuusoo sets have been small and resonably priced, so yes this is typical of Cuusoo.

People should also keep,in mind that the license holders for any of theses idea could have easily said no. Because they are not interested, confined by other agreements or have future plans.

A set ultimately has to stand on it own, so those that are iconic are ultimately going to do much better than an original idea that does not already have an established fan base or has universal appeal.

All puns intended.

Part of what I'm taking away from this, unfortunately, is that bigger projects don't have much hope with Cuusoo. The implication there is still troubling, considering how many projects on Cuusoo are pretty large.

Looking forward to the Ecto-1. Wasn't surprised that it's just the car and figs; I don't think they want to make huge, $100+ cuusoo sets.

First time I've heard Macross pronounced as "May-cross". I think there are a lot of licensing issues with Robotech/Macross stuff because different companies own the rights in different countries, so not surprised that didn't pass either.

Congratulations to Brent Waller on his project being selected. One part of me is sad that it won't include his Firehouse, which is well executed, but the other part of me is relieved as I'm at the finishing stages of my own build of the Ghost Busters Firehouse which has been a labour of love for a while now. Well done Brent.

Ow yes!!!

Ghostbusters was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and I've been waiting for an ECTO-1 set since then.

I'm so happy with this result and this set will probably end up at the top of my 2014 wishlist.

Thank you CUUSOO and thanks to the MOCers who submitted those amazing models.

Does that mean we'll only be getting the car/characters and not the building?

I don't think the firehouse was ever supposed to be included in the set. It was just used as background.

The description of the set clearly focused on the car and the minifigs.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/36088

This had the potential to give us an awesome firehouse playset. So for me, somewhat disappointing.

Except adding the firehouse would greatly increase the price of the set. And while fans of ghostbusters may be happy to buy the car they may not want to pay a great deal more for what is basically a brick building. All the Cuusoo sets have been small and reasonably priced, so yes this is typical of Cuusoo.

Part of what I'm taking away from this, unfortunately, is that bigger projects don't have much hope with Cuusoo. The implication there is still troubling, considering how many projects on Cuusoo are pretty large.

I don't think the firehouse was ever supposed to be included in the set. It was just used as background. The description of the set clearly focused on the car and the minifigs.

Yes, at the 1:55 mark in the video, she says specifically that the set will be the four minifigs and the vehicle...

The price for the car and figs would be about $40 max, and then adding in the fire-hall would be a huge jump, bringing the total price up to $200 or more, a quintupling! And they just made a modular fire-house set a few years ago, so they probably did not want to do another one so similar so soon.

As far as price-points go, most of the ideas that have passed the 10,000 mark so far have been presented as small-to-medium sized sets, but I am sure a larger set can win too. If the Japanese Architecture set is made, then it will be interesting to see what price-point they assign to it for the re-design. They could easily shrink it down. The only real "line in the sand" is the $130 price-point... If they go above that, then it would be too big to sell on the shelf at a normal store, and so it could only be sold online or in The Lego Stores at the bigger malls. I know that they were selling the Back to the Future set on the shelf at Toys R Us for a while, so that is probably part of their overall long-term plan...!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Honestly, I'm stoked! This set just shot up to the number one list of sets I need to purchase. It shouldn't be anymore than $50. A vehicle, four figs, sounds reasonable for that price. Also, please include brick built proton packs. It would make my day. :grin_wub:

Yes, at the 1:55 mark in the video, she says specifically that the set will be the four minifigs and the vehicle...

The price for the car and figs would be about $40 max, and then adding in the fire-hall would be a huge jump, bringing the total price up to $200 or more, a quintupling! And they just made a modular fire-house set a few years ago, so they probably did not want to do another one so similar so soon.

As far as price-points go, most of the ideas that have passed the 10,000 mark so far have been presented as small-to-medium sized sets, but I am sure a larger set can win too. If the Japanese Architecture set is made, then it will be interesting to see what price-point they assign to it for the re-design. They could easily shrink it down. The only real "line in the sand" is the $130 price-point... If they go above that, then it would be too big to sell on the shelf at a normal store, and so it could only be sold online or in The Lego Stores at the bigger malls. I know that they were selling the Back to the Future set on the shelf at Toys R Us for a while, so that is probably part of their overall long-term plan...!

Honestly, I didn't know they sold these at non-Lego Store retail locations at all. I've never seen a Cuusoo set on a store shelf outside a branded Lego store, so as far as I was aware that wasn't an issue.

Honestly, I didn't know they sold these at non-Lego Store retail locations at all. I've never seen a Cuusoo set on a store shelf outside a branded Lego store, so as far as I was aware that wasn't an issue.

There was only a very limited number apparently, but you can see on the right side of this page that they were "sold in stores" at Toys R Us... http://www.toysrus.c...rentPage=search

It was probably a very small number, maybe just 1,000 boxes put on the shelves as a test. And the ones put in the stores probably sold out almost immediately. So that means the experiment was a success, and so they'll probably try it again with a similar or larger number next time. It makes sense that if they are investing in making new printed pieces, etc, then they would certainly want to get those sets in front of customer's eyeballs every way they can!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Uhmmm... after several announcements from the Cuusoo team, I'm not sure it's good news or not.

a) Only one set chosen, even though Cuusoo have made it clear that it's not a seasonal competition that only one "winner" product comes out, it's still weird to see only one set chosen and they can't prove they're right.

b) Oz is one of the pity for me. However, the other conecrn would be whether Disney would make the sequel to their own version of Oz. It could result in that TLC is more willing to make Oz under their Disney theme instead of the classic version.

c) "What happened to the other Ghostbusters Project?" I agree that Cuusoo is a competition that compares the models based on the same idea. However, I think two chosen projects should mean that this licesnse have big potential and should have two different sets based on this series. If TLC chose not to do so, I feel alittle upset, or bored.

d) The "looking into possiblity" female worker series is an ucertain one. It has nothing to do with licenses, and it sells. However it could be regarded as a repetitive concept with traditional City theme. Unless TLC already defines City as police or fire.

Uhmmm... after several announcements from the Cuusoo team, I'm not sure it's good news or not.

a) Only one set chosen, even though Cuusoo have made it clear that it's not a seasonal competition that only one "winner" product comes out, it's still weird to see only one set chosen and they can't prove they're right.

b) Oz is one of the pity for me. However, the other conecrn would be whether Disney would make the sequel to their own version of Oz. It could result in that TLC is more willing to make Oz under their Disney theme instead of the classic version.

c) "What happened to the other Ghostbusters Project?" I agree that Cuusoo is a competition that compares the models based on the same idea. However, I think two chosen projects should mean that this licesnse have big potential and should have two different sets based on this series. If TLC chose not to do so, I feel alittle upset, or bored.

d) The "looking into possiblity" female worker series is an ucertain one. It has nothing to do with licenses, and it sells. However it could be regarded as a repetitive concept with traditional City theme. Unless TLC already defines City as police or fire.

As for C, both of the Ghostbusters projects were basically for the same. Even if they decided to make two sets it wouldn't really amount to approving both (unless they gave us the fire house from the approved one). There's also the fact that there was most likely a -lot- of overlap in the votes, doesn't necessarily mean it's twice as popular.