ZCerberus

The Phantom

I had logged on hoping to see your improvements I was not disappointed!

That must be some sight sitting next to your harbor/fortress on water!

I full heartedly urge you to continue to make the Lego creations of my dreams!

Regards, Cpt. PB

That's a true beauty, ZCerberus! :wub: Your ship is progressing very well. :thumbup:

I'm wondering, are you planning on replacing the decaled torsos on your marines with the official redcoat torsos from the new Pirate line? They both look quite similar.

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

I'm wondering, are you planning on replacing the decaled torsos on your marines with the official redcoat torsos from the new Pirate line? They both look quite similar.

I have considered it-- but I think I like the white bodies with the decals a little better than the red bodies honestly. Plus I think the "new" soldiers are all going to find a home at Fort Brighton East or Fort Brighton West soon.

"Phantom or no, Lucky Jack will have her."

Seriously though, your dedication to a project such as this is impressive to say the least. Very inspirational. Now I must get back to work on my own ship!

Sorry for the late reply,

I fell out of the internet world for a bit. :pir_wacko:

Thanx for the close up pictures Z. :thumbup:

I see your masts appear very similar to mine. How stable are you masts?

Mine currently sway side to side, but i don't have any rigging tied on yet.

You have turned me green with envy :pir-wub: of not only your wonderfully built ship, but of the skill, dedication, enginuity, and ability to create such a wonderfull piece. It is a tribute to pirate's and all of piratekind. However if you do not mind I would like to put foth the following sudgestions (yes, i am trying to pull the sliver from your eye, when there is a log in mine)

#1 a bell and a hourglass. no ship would be complete without one.

#2 larger anchors (maybe a moc anchor) and anchor rope (lego stuff is too flimsy)

#3 a better possibly working capstain system (more handles and larger) along with a cable tier (if there isn't one already)

#4 mast, i don't know what to say but the look to blocky, and the seem a bit short, and sails/spars could be a bit wider

#5 on a ship of this scale i would have liked to see the wheel below the quarter deck as apposed to on it.

#6 a proper singnal and flag tackkly, and use penants on the mast instead of flags (homade ones out of cloth)

#7 (on the crew) they look good but the ink should match that of the color of the minifig (it just makes it stick out.)

#8 the ladder things on the side of the ship seem highly out of place and ockward, i thing a 2x4 plate sticking out one stud would look alot better whith a rope running on either side of it.

#9 boats! :pir-oh3: you need to make some longboats for the deck, in case the crew need to go ashore for provisions (because the ship could never sink)

Please do not think i am harsh or trying to put down your ship, i am just makeing my sudjestions to help it to become even better (in my opinion), and too I am a historical freak, so thats the reason for much of my critique. Man! its got a bloody spiral staircase!!! (just saw that) I'd give my right arm for half your talent at making ships :pir-grin: . an amazing JOB!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

I see your masts appear very similar to mine. How stable are you masts?

Mine currently sway side to side, but i don't have any rigging tied on yet.

They are pretty good- I added some support to try to keep them stable... both the lower mast and the front mast pass threw the main deck so they are fairly stable, then I added some supports on the main deck to hold them.

#1 a bell and a hourglass. no ship would be complete without one.

Agreed. Another of my ships, the Arbiter II does have a bell, I will probably use a similar design to that on this ship.

#2 larger anchors (maybe a moc anchor) and anchor rope (lego stuff is too flimsy)

I am using MOC anchors-- maybe they are still too small, but they are not the Lego ones. Be sure to see the latest pictures because I replaced the rope holding the anchors on in the last revision.

#3 a better possibly working capstain system (more handles and larger) along with a cable tier (if there isn't one already)

I actually just added a capstan in the last revision in the rear. It is hard to see and I don't have one with the handles in it. It the capstan extends to the lower and the main deck and actually does raise and lower the anchors. I should take a picture of it with the handles in it.

Look for it in the bottom right corner of this photo

#4 mast, i don't know what to say but the look to blocky, and the seem a bit short, and sails/spars could be a bit wider

Again, did you see the last revision? They are significantly more sleek as compared to the ones in the construction pics. I am not sure I could make them any smaller if I wanted to. I do think the masts are a bit short in the middle section where the topsails are, but I don't have any specific plans to make them taller. the spars on the other hand appear to me to be about right considering the height of the masts.

check out this photo here to see the sleeker masts and MOC anchors.

#5 on a ship of this scale i would have liked to see the wheel below the quarter deck as apposed to on it.

This is largely due to the space constraints. The capstan is where I would otherwise have placed the ships wheel.

#6 a proper singnal and flag tackkly, and use penants on the mast instead of flags (homade ones out of cloth)

I actually collected several of the lego flags that look like they could be good signal flags- no immediate plans to integrate them however.

#7 (on the crew) they look good but the ink should match that of the color of the minifig (it just makes it stick out.)

I always thought the Marines looked okay! But I am replacing the soldiers at Fort Brighton with the new red coats, so perhaps the soldiers there can make their way to the ship.

#8 the ladder things on the side of the ship seem highly out of place and ockward, i thing a 2x4 plate sticking out one stud would look alot better whith a rope running on either side of it.

I was going to simply use plates or tiles, but they blended in too much with the hull. Maybe if I used tiles in another color it would work better.

#9 boats! :pir-oh3: you need to make some longboats for the deck, in case the crew need to go ashore for provisions (because the ship could never sink)

Well there are two Lego rowboats up there but they are small for a ship of this size. I have considered making my own longboats but the space on that section of the deck is fairly limited. We'll see if I can do something about that in a later revision.

Edited by ZCerberus

They are pretty good- I added some support to try to keep them stable... both the lower mast and the front mast pass threw the main deck so they are fairly stable, then I added some supports on the main deck to hold them.

Hmm. That's a good idea to have them pass through the top deck.

I'll have to give that a shot.

Thanx Z. :thumbup:

I would like mine to be removable though.

The Constitution has to be able to fit inside of a 4 door Grand Am without much trouble. :pir-cry_sad:

The Constitution has to be able to fit inside of a 4 door Grand Am without much trouble. :pir-cry_sad:

Isn't finding a place for these things the worst!

woah! my computer must have glitched out before, i seen your updates now, its a wonderfull looking ship. I like your crew/ hands with the red srtipey shirts. Deck space i always find is always an issue. I have some homade longboats, i can post pics if you want. I have a much smaller (and much less detailed ship I made them for about 30 guns. Do you make use of carronades or cannonades on the quarter deck and the forecastle? i can't quite tell. (i like you signature pic too. Can i get a link tou your brickshelf, im shure theres one somewhere but i dont want to sift through 13 pages of post. And man the capstain was ingenious, this boat is so full of detail and is amazing, it is an honor just to talk to you.

Link to Brickshelf is here.

I tried to upload some x 800 pictures in there so they would load more quickly, but it didn't seem to work. I may try again tomorrow.

If you have long boats to share, by all means do so!

There are no cannonades on the ship right now-- I looked into making some using the Lego trash can as the barrel, but It just didn't work as I had hoped. That is a good idea for a future build though!

Edited by ZCerberus

Isn't finding a place for these things the worst!

That's not where i'm going to keep it! :pir-tongue:

It's where it needs to be when getting transported to Brickworld. :pir-grin:

If you have long boats to share, by all means do so!

Captain Green Hair's and Errorist's long boat

and Mine

There are no cannonades on the ship right now-- I looked into making some using the Lego trash can as the barrel, but It just didn't work as I had hoped. That is a good idea for a future build though!

Here are a couple of suggestions:

pic_0267.jpg_thumb.jpg

Kurt's carronade using a Black barrel for a barrel.

th_top-empty.png

And using eh... ...something else for a barrel.

i must say nice lookin rowboats, however my carronade are a bit smaller. And i sorta cheated on my longboats a bit, i carved a wood hull

That's not where i'm going to keep it! :pir-tongue:

It's where it needs to be when getting transported to Brickworld. :pir-grin:

Awesome-- man I need to hit one of those events some day!

Captain Green Hair's and Errorist's long boat

I like that boat and yours as well. I might try a fancier long boat sometime- I think the biggest issue is the boat might not be wide enough to support a larger one. I think if I could change only one thing about the Phantom I would make it about 4 studs wider!

Your boat works well. I like that you turned it into a full blown cutter with a collapsible mast. It is almost like a special captain's yacht

Edited by ZCerberus