2013 was a pretty great year for movies! My top 10 (in no particular order, by the way):

- Iron Man 3

- Thor: The Dark World

- The Wolverine

- Saving Mr. Banks

- Frozen

- Gravity

- Pacific Rim

- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

- Monsters University

- Star Trek Into Darkness

Didn't Les Mis come out in 2012?

Came out in 2013 where I am, but then again Desolation of Smaug came out in 2014, so... :look:

2013 for film was a pretty great year (more than 2012, in my opinion). My favorites, in no particular order:

Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Iron Man 3, Captain Phillips, Saving Mr. Banks, American Hustle, Frozen, Monsters University, Blue Jasmine, Catching Fire, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Despicable Me 2

Worst: Man of Steel, Smurfs 2, The Croods, After Earth, R.I.P.D, Jack the Giant Slayer

I only saw four movies this year (one of which was a release from 2012, but to hell with it, I saw it in 2013 and a top four list sounds less important than a top five, but I might as well talk about something anyways.)

So here is my Top 4 movies I saw last year as well as funny quips about each.

#4: The Lone Ranger- The movie gets a lot of flack, and rightfully so, it's long, a bit drawn out, and could have used an extra few shots at the script and some time in the editing room. However, the last twenty minutes was pure fun, and that's what I was hoping to get. It wasn't perfect, and it has it's flaws, but I liked it enough to own it on blu-ray. Also Bill Fichtner was awesome.

#3: Jack Reacher- I'm not all that fond of Tom Cruise as an actor to be honest, but Jack Reacher was a fun, intense action thriller that was well acted and well put together. The car chase was also really, really good. I mean it's really good. Worth the price of admission good. And it was overall good. I had fun, I didn't know what was going to happen, it was good. Flat out good.

#2: My Little Pony: Equestria Girls- Now, I know what you're all thinking, "But Kintobor, what about Star Trek: Into Darkness, or Gravity, or Frozen?" Well, I saw none of those movies because I'm not fond of Sci-fi, I'm not fond of astrology and just because your green screen effects look nice doesn't mean I have to sit in the front row to enjoy it (looking at you Avatar!!) and Frozen, despite getting rave reviews, happens to also be close to the release date of the Lego Movie, and when you have one gift card that only has enough money on it to see one, and only one movie, I think we all know what it's going to be. Hint: it's the Lego Movie. Now that we have that diatribe over: Equestria Girls has enough plot holes to shove a cruise ship through, but it was also fun. The music was fun, the comedy was fun, the animation was nice, it was if anything a pleasant surprise. I went in dreading the worst and came out thinking "I may have left my masculinity back there, but my god Twilight Sparkle was adorable and goofy and all that good stuff!"

#1: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- Or as I like to call it: "Cloudy with a chance of Smaug". It's only real trip up was the fact that the ending was about as shoehorned in as the ending to Deathly Hallows part one, except with a dragon. But it was still entertaining, Stephen Fry stops in for a visit, and the Barrel Chase sequence was entertaining as hell. I think 2013 will be remembered as "The Year of the Chase Scene".

So that's it for new releases I saw this year, now here's two movies I also saw last year that are tied for Best Film I saw last year in general and they're both Japanese. Oh boy.

Tied for #1: Lupin the Third in the Castle of Cagliostro and Battle Royale- Both of these films are awesome. You need to see both. Do so now. The first one involves a two crooks going to find a printing press that shoots out better fakes than the modern day music industry and getting involved with a conspiracy behind the presses, and Battle Royale is all about a bunch of teenagers murdering each other on an island as punishment by the government for an event they weren't even responsible for.

That was fun. Back to pony analysis.

Frozen, despite getting rave reviews, happens to also be close to the release date of the Lego Movie, and when you have one gift card that only has enough money on it to see one, and only one movie, I think we all know what it's going to be. Hint: it's the Lego Movie.

I wouldn't exactly call a November 19th release and a February 7th release very close. That's almost 3 months.