Hi, I didn't see a topic like this anywhere and thought it would be interesting to get everyone's opinions. I'm a huge film buff and 2013, in my opinion, was a pretty great year for the industry. My top favorites are:

1. Inside Llewyn Davis

2. Frances Ha

3. Nebraska

4. Persistence of Vision (Ok, technically this started touring in 2012 film festivals, but it came to Houston in 2013; I'm going to count it)

5. Her

l also really enjoyed (in no particular order): Much Ado About Nothing, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Enough Said, Fruitvale Station, and Pacific Rim.

So what are your favorite films of 2013?

(Also, sorry if this topic already existed)

Much Ado was very interesting in my opinion, i felt it brought a whole new tone to the film industry.

Gravity was visually incredible.

However, my two favourites were Captain Phillips (brilliant story and strong performance by Tom Hanks) and Thor 2 (Action Packed, but also very funny)

In order i would say

1. Captain Phillips

2. Thor 2

3. Much Ado About Nothing

4. Gravity

5.The Hobbit 2

6. (Ok, this one is technically not a film, but it was one of the greatest examples of visual story telling since the Alien films) The Breaking Bad Season Final

Okay, here are mine.

1 Captain Phillips

2 12 Years a Slave

3.The Wolf of Wall Street

4 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

5. Gravity

Edited by Mr Breden

Okay, here are mine.

1 Captain Phillips

2 12 Years a Slave

3.The Wolf of Wall Street

4 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

5. Gravity

I extremely regret never seeing 12 Years a Slave; I'll have to catch it on DVD this year.

1.) Catching Fire

2.) Thor 2

3.) Frozen

4.) Iron Man 3

5.) Star Trek into Darkness

Honorable mentions: Monsters University, Despicable Me 2, and about 20 collective minutes of Desolation of Smaug.

I haven't heard of your first four movies, monty. Mine are:

Pacific Rim

Captain Philips

Star Trek into Darkness

Desolation of Smaug

Iron man 3

No particular order for these. Didn't see Elysium, but that would probably be on the list.

In order, mine would have to be

1. Saving Mr. Banks

2. Monsters University

3. Frozen

I believe you can already tell what type of movies I like, for some odd reason Disney films were the only movies I didn't manage to avoid viewing this year (well technically last, but I occasionally feel like I'm still in 2013), though that's not to say other movies weren't great, I just didn't get around to seeing them.

So many:

Pacific Rim

Despicle Me 2

Ironman 3

Desolation of Smaug

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Maybe I'm too easily impressed. :grin:

I haven't heard of your first four movies, monty.

I haven't either.

I personally found this a really weird year for movies - a lot of them generally weren't as good as they could/should have been. That said, by favorites were probably:

Catching Fire

Iron Man 3

Desolation of Smaug

ST: Into Darkness

Man of Steel

For me I would have to say:

1 Wolf of Wall Street

2 Thor the Dark world

3 Captain Philips

4 The Hobbit

5 Kick megablocks 2

I haven't heard of your first four movies, monty.

I haven't either.

What can I say, I'm an film geek. :grin: My first four weren't widely released (especially Persistence of Vision, I had to see that one at a film festival!) so I wouldn't expect anyone to. I'd recommend watching their previews on YouTube and checking them out on DVD if you're interested.

My top 5 list:

1. Pacific Rim

2. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

3. Thor: The Dark World

4. Iron Man 3

5. Wolverine: Immortal

6. Top Gun 3D (sorry, but this one HAS to be on my list, and NOT because of the 3D effects!)

And that's about it for me. I didn't get to see that many new movies these past year so much as I watched good, old movies. I did see more than 5 2013 movies, but I just didn't like them that much. I still have to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness, Oblivion, Gravity, The Wolf of Wall Street and some others I didn't get to see yet.

Anyway, this is my 2013 Worst Movie List:

1. Jobs

2. Man of Steel (these first two actually made the cut to my worst movies ever list)

3. GIJoe Retaliation (I'm a GIJoe fan and I think this movies is just an awesome piece of crap)

4. Bling Ring

5. The Hangover III

Just watched The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle.

American Hustler is my new #2 (NOTHING beats giant robts fighting giant monsters! :laugh: ). The Wolf of Wall Street is #3.

Edited by Artifex

My top films of the year:

1. Her

2. Gravity

3. American Hustle

4. The Wolverine

5. Frozen

Worst movie:

1. Iron Man 3- There were no doubt worse movies made this year than this, but I'm going with the one that angered me the most (and one that I actually saw). This version's portrayal of the Mandarin is the least of this film's problems. It also doesn't help that this had the worst licensed sets of any any theme so far.

Edited by Darth Lurtz

In order, mine would have to be

1. Saving Mr. Banks

2. Monsters University

3. Frozen

I believe you can already tell what type of movies I like, for some odd reason Disney films were the only movies I didn't manage to avoid viewing this year (well technically last, but I occasionally feel like I'm still in 2013), though that's not to say other movies weren't great, I just didn't get around to seeing them.

It was a good year for Disney movies. I'd probably put them up there.

1. Desolation of Smaug

2. Iron Man 3

And....that's all the movies I saw this year. :tongue:

Well, I had seen quite a few movies last year, but if I had to choose my top 5, it would be as follows:

1) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

2) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

3) Les Miserables

4) Thor: The Dark World

5) Man of Steel

Worst movie I had to watch was probably Monsters University. I had high hopes for it but found it sorely disappointing. Iron Man 3 was terrible as well, and not just for what they did to the Mandarin.

And here's my top 10 list:

1) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: I'm a huge fantasy (and especially LOTR) fan, so this obviously had to top my list :wink: Smaug alone was worth watching it four times :laugh:

2) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: Much better than its predecessor, no shaky cam any more and delivered what the first one promised :thumbup:

3) Thor: The Dark Kingdom: Great follow-up to the original and I especially liked the chemistry between Thor and Loki :sweet:

4) Iron Man 3: Personally, I thought the Mandarin twist was hilarious :grin: It had some great action scenes and set pieces and is cleverly written IMO :classic:

5) Frozen: One of the best Disney films in recent memory, even though I still prefer Wreck-it Ralph and Tangled :wink:

6) The Wolverine: This one surprised me, I expected something dull along the lines of the first Wolverine stand-alone film and got what I think to be the best X-Men film to date :sweet:

7) Gravity: Nothing too special story-wise, but visually it's stunning :thumbup: Really enjoyed it apart from some very awkward symbolism :wacko:

8) Star Trek Into Darkness: The last half hour was very rushed and full of plot-conveniences, but I still liked it. Cumberbatch really stood out as Khan (even though I still don't get why it had to be Khan and the role-reversal at the end felt extremely tacked on)

9) Pacific Rim: This is what Transformers should have been :sweet:

10) Oz the Great and Powerful: Great prequel to the original Oz film, visually stunning and some great performances.

And my top 5 worst films of the year:

1) Texas Chainsaw 3D: Probably the worst film I've ever had the "pleasure" of witnessing :sick: This is a total insult to the original film and has one of the dumbest and most moronic twists I've ever seen :angry:

2) A Good Day to Die Hard: This wasn't a Die Hard film. Period. :grin:

3) Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters: Duuuuuuuulllll and still a blatant Harry Potter ripoff :hmpf_bad:

4) Gangster Squad: This one was also dull and featured one of the cartooniest and over-the-top villains ever put on film.

5) R.I.P.D: More like R.I.P.O.F.F. :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

#1. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Nothing else matters! :grin:

Edited by Palathadric

3) Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters: Duuuuuuuulllll and still a blatant Harry Potter ripoff :hmpf_bad:

I do agree that the movie interpritation is terrible. But the books are pretty good.

I do agree that the movie interpritation is terrible. But the books are pretty good.

Is it bad that I saw this movie just for Nathan Fillion? I seem to like him in everything... and this was no exception. In fact, he was probably the only thing I liked in Sea of Monsters.

Oh, and I agree completely; the books are worth reading.

1) Captain Phillips

2) Escape plan

3) Hangover 3

4) Anchorman 2

5) Iron Man 3

6) Kick Aśś 2

7) The internship

All of these were imo the best films of 2013 although there were also a few others which were fantastic to watch (the comedic 'This is the end' being one). I look forward to many new films this year, most notable ones I would like to see are 'Non-Stop', American Hustle, Planet of the Apes and Grudge match along with many more. Not to mention some of the good films I have watched this year were Last Vegas and The Wolf on Wall Street. :classic:

Well, I had seen quite a few movies last year, but if I had to choose my top 5, it would be as follows:

1) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

2) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

3) Les Miserables

4) Thor: The Dark World

5) Man of Steel

Worst movie I had to watch was probably Monsters University. I had high hopes for it but found it sorely disappointing. Iron Man 3 was terrible as well, and not just for what they did to the Mandarin.

Didn't Les Mis come out in 2012?