efferman

42030 - Volvo L350F MODs and Improvements

What is your point? Different model, totally different parts.

Actually, they have 33.88% parts in common :)

What is your point? Different model, totally different parts.

Just saying, I think this set is ugly IMO, I liked it at first, buy when MLonger came up with his Loader, the only thing I see this set being useful for is parts.

Will only buy a second hand one for the parts I can use for the L250G, the rest for other MOC models that I want to build in the future.

On 17. 4. 2016 at 7:41 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

Thanks to Efferman, my 42030 now has the wheel covers it deserved:

315zywp.jpg

More info can be found in this topic.

Nice, I also thought about it but I chose a cheaper solution from lego parts...

LEGO Technic 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

LEGO Technic 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

LEGO Technic 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel LoaderVolvo_svetla1

Edited by baty

Can you list the Lego part numbers please? These covers are neat!

56mm%20wheel%20covers%20by%20Marek%20Mar

Updated the original image with the descriptions of the items.

Edited by emielroumen
Added image

13 hours ago, M_longer said:

Looks familiar ;)

56mm wheel cover(s) by Marek Markiewicz, on Flickr

Yes, this is it :)

I did not forget to mention at the picture's caption on my flicker account... "LEGO Technic 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader with Rock Crusher X/T 1.9 Off-R Tires 108mm and wheel covers inspired by Marek Markiewicz" ;)

11 hours ago, baty said:

Yes, this is it :)

I did not forget to mention at the picture's caption on my flicker account... "LEGO Technic 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader with Rock Crusher X/T 1.9 Off-R Tires 108mm and wheel covers inspired by Marek Markiewicz" ;)

Thank you ;)

I must say that they really fit on this loader.

22 hours ago, M_longer said:

Thank you ;)

I must say that they really fit on this loader.

Yes, It was the first thing I thought when I saw it!

It was a great idea.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

the wheels are excellent, from the Class?

Those don't look anything like the tires that Lego makes, so no they are not the ones you are thinking of.

7 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

the wheels are excellent, from the Class?

No, Rock Crusher X/T 1.9 Off-R Tires 108mm.

Any pics of 42030 with 42054 tyres?, I think they would be perfect for it.

Edited by jorgeopesi

I need a little help from across the pond if possible.  I just found a 42030, new in a sealed box, and for a reasonable price!  The last Technic set I built with my kids was the previous version, 8265 in 2009.  We've been doing non Technic stuff since then, but now the kids are 10 and 11, so we're literally picking up where we left off.  Anyway, I found Effermans mod instructions and LXF files (this thread)...

http://bricksafe.com/files/efferman/42030 lenkungsmod.pdf

Now, LDD keeps giving me a licensing error (new install on a new 2012 computer, haven't used it since 2009)?  It does, however, load the models and appear to work.  The problem is I can't get any of the LXF files to upload to BrickLink, and I can't find a way to identify the 84 extra parts needed for the PDF above.  I messaged Efferman, and thus far he's only found the picture, not a list...

Parts.jpg

I can identify most of these, but not all.  I'm wondering does anybody have a BrickLink XML parts list?  Or some other documentation on what exactly these 84 pieces are?  Sure, I could point out the ones I don't know, and we could fix that, but what about 5 more years from now?

Alex

1 hour ago, TTA1326 said:

I need a little help from across the pond if possible.

Which side of the pond are you on?  Your profile does not have a location.

2 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

Which side of the pond are you on?  Your profile does not have a location.

Your side, USA.

You can export a parts list from LDD and it will have the number and name for each part.

22 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

You can export a parts list from LDD and it will have the number and name for each part.

Well, I'll figure it out somehow, but I don't have an LXF file for *just* the 84 new parts.  I just thought that somebody surely has the list from doing this themselves.  I guess I'll export both models, see what the differences are, and post it back here if I get it.

Does anyone know if the whole set needs to be torn apart and rebuilt to incorporate Efferman's steering mod?  I'm a beginner at Technic, so rebuilding the set from scratch would take quite some time (and maybe difficult with LDD), though I'm not thrilled with how awkward the steering is.  Thanks!

I was able to leave the set partially together while adding Efferman's mod but it took me a few hours to get everything figured out :laugh: Take your time and keep looking at the LXF file. It was easier for me to include the mod after building the set, instead of adapting it during the building process if that makes any sense. This mod is absolutely worth the effort and transforms this set in my opinion.

I added the file to my Bricksafe page in case anyone needs another source:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/therealjustin/42030-volvo-l350f---efferman-steering-mod

The LDD license error happens to me every time I do a new installation. When the program asks for the license, locate the RL278-1000.lic file within C:/Program Files(x86)/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer

On 11/21/2016 at 6:34 AM, jorgeopesi said:

Any pics of 42030 with 42054 tyres?, I think they would be perfect for it.

Has anyone tried this tire change?

11 hours ago, evortigosa said:

Has anyone tried this tire change?

I just held up some spare 42054 tires to the set and it looks like the set would need to be modified to accommodate them.  The rear ones might be okay, but the front would lose turning ability  

Update: disregard my previous statement.  I just put on the tires and they appear to work without issue.  My only concern is that they rub against the front fenders, so it may be a little better if those were moved back by one stud.

Edited by teos