Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

Motor of a 9v Lego Motor Train

Hi all! I need to change one of my lego 9v train's motor. I saw that tamya motors for 4wd are perfect for them. Do you know how to put them in it? And what type of motor I need? Thank you very much!

Search through the archives in this forum, there was a very good thread 6-9 months back that both identifies a good replacement motor and provides a tutorial on how to replace it.

I believe, though not 100% sure, that the motor inside the PF train base is a direct fitment for the 9V. They both have two driveshafts, 4WD, and similar, if not same, gearing. The new PF train motor also runs from 9V, battery, power (6x 1.5V AAA). It's just a matter of careful disassembly, wire cut/solder, and reassembly and you should be good :classic:

Edit: Searching through my profile, I found this. I keep links regarding LEGO trains (mainly 9V) :wink:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

I was thinking to put a tamiya motor...i don't know if it will run...the only problem is that motor has not the 2 final gears..can I take the ones from the original motor?

My right up a few months back with a fix, I have since done all my faulty 9v in this way and no issues.

http://www.eurobrick...topic=83667&hl=

Would be good if any one in Admin could put this link somewhere as this questions comes up a little.

If made this to help everyone out and save people some $$$ on buying working 9V motors.

Edited by Lazarus

I believe, though not 100% sure, that the motor inside the PF train base is a direct fitment for the 9V. They both have two driveshafts, 4WD, and similar, if not same, gearing. The new PF train motor also runs from 9V, battery, power (6x 1.5V AAA). It's just a matter of careful disassembly, wire cut/solder, and reassembly and you should be good :classic:

Edit: Searching through my profile, I found this. I keep links regarding LEGO trains (mainly 9V) :wink:

How about motor from lego train 8866? are they direct fit?

I could do with doing some better videos at some point.

But at present I have my HE with 4 motors in it and lights. each power car has a 9v with a PF motor, with the internal 9v motors replaced with PF internals.

Yellow cargo with 9v and PF motors and the 9v with internals replaced.

Would only recommend using a repaired 9v motor with PF motor in tandem with PF motors are these are the most powerfull out fo the 3 types and you will end up killing the PF motor if if it has to push a normal 9v around.

About to do a 9v internal replace ment with an older RC motor (out of the 8866) to see if the change over is any easyer. But this motor in question is for a single motor tran so if the speed is diffrent than a PF motor no matter.

The RC motors are the worse out of all 3 types for power so not a recommend swap and only if u had alot of these around to use. PF motors are in large surply at present and cheap.

Edited by Lazarus

yes that is a PF motor with the cable

Also will be working on the RC motor fix today some time and i will let u know how it goes all

Because I read "RC motor", and i was crying like a baby :D Thanks a lot...the box will arrive few days...too i will work on it soon.

yes that is a PF motor with the cable

Also will be working on the RC motor fix today some time and i will let u know how it goes all

That great, do post if it fits directly to a 9v motor. From I understand, you must sand the tip of the plastic before fit directly into the 9v case. Can you confirm that PF motor will be a direct fit except we need to resolder the connection?

As I have about 4pcs of RC motor and unsure if I should rip it open to do the switch or sell it

Yes, resolder the connection (or just put together turning the cable with it)...take care not to cut off the thermistor...

no not that easy , u need to trim down the PF motor to make it fit the 9v case. Watch my videos it tells all. Also the thermistor is not a big deal, if you lose it it just stops the over heat cut out.

Just compared the 9v internal with the RC internal and it wont be a swap.

You need to do the same mods to the internal motor as i show in my video, The RC and PF internal motor casing are if not the same.

So you can use a RC or PF internal motor to fix the 9V but minor mods needed and its only matter is sanding down some bits.

The fix can be done for ether but for performance I would always recommend the PF internal over RC.