Sign in to follow this  
highlandcattle

Train Talk

For just some regular chitter chatter about lego trains, that are not worthy of their own topic.

I'll start off :).

Due to a sale at a Belgian online lego store I got the Super Chief and on set of wagons (10025). Last night I built the baggage wagon first, but today I built the postage car (It's much nicer, no bricks left only four doors.)

Here you can see it in full glory:

santa_fe.jpg

It looks a bit odd on the old 12v track since it is the same color!

Also, I don't know if this is a known problem but some of the bricks don't fit wll together. I think it are the gray 2X2X1.

The interior is also prety nice but sadly no figs are included.

Overal a nice set with some lovely building techniques. I love the fact that the waggons are much longer then most lego waggons and so there is little space betwen the waggons.

santafe2.jpg

Nice pic H&C. I forget which of the two/three sets I built when I first got this set. I really like the fact that Lego offered alternative models for the two Santa Fe cars.

Also, I don't know if this is a known problem but some of the bricks don't fit wll together. I think it are the gray 2X2X1.

Yes, I had the same issue when I first got this set. The 2x2x1 bricks were my first real disappointment with Lego quality; so much so, that I complained to Lego about these inferior bricks. The manager that I spoke with agreed with me when the set first came out, and ordered replacements in standard bricks. I was very impressed with Lego's customer service when this happened.

2x2x1pearlgreygrillebrick.jpg

I do remember her stating that the bricks were intended to look like metal and that's why the different look. These pieces don't stick together well, and since then (it's been a few years), I've seen more and more pieces made with this softer, cheaper plastic. I hope Lego does not continue to make standard bricks with this inferior plastic.

The set; however, is a great one, but it would have been nice to have a few figs with it.

Nice pic H&C. I forget which of the two/three sets I built when I first got this set. I really like the fact that Lego offered alternative models for the two Santa Fe cars.

Yes, I had the same issue when I first got this set. The 2x2x1 bricks were my first real disappointment with Lego quality; so much so, that I complained to Lego about these inferior bricks. The manager that I spoke with agreed with me when the set first came out, and ordered replacements in standard bricks. I was very impressed with Lego's customer service when this happened.

2x2x1pearlgreygrillebrick.jpg

I do remember her stating that the bricks were intended to look like metal and that's why the different look. These pieces don't stick together well, and since then (it's been a few years), I've seen more and more pieces made with this softer, cheaper plastic. I hope Lego does not continue to make standard bricks with this inferior plastic.

The set; however, is a great one, but it would have been nice to have a few figs with it.

Did you get the silver bricks replaced or the big gray ones? I quite like the silver ones, makes the train look a bit metallic and not just a castle on wheels. Upon further inspection The silver ones are indeed a bit soft.

I also made a little movie (2MB) of my train passing. ou might like it :)

Movie

I think that the silver bricks are made out of a different type of plastic on purpose, to get the metallic look.(which I think ABS can't do)

We've paid a big price for the metallic look, in form of crappy plastic. :-|

Why do I believe that? Because I've never had any problems with softness with other bricks. :-/

It's not plain silver, it's more like "waves" in the plastic. (those who own these bricks will understand!) :-P

Did you get the silver bricks replaced or the big gray ones? I quite like the silver ones, makes the train look a bit metallic and not just a castle on wheels. Upon further inspection The silver ones are indeed a bit soft.

The silver bricks (with regular grill-type grey bricks). I'm not sure why they're called silver. They're just soft gray to me.

I also made a little movie (2MB) of my train passing. ou might like it :)

Movie

Pretty neat. I did something similar with a MOT around my western town (several years ago). I also added a song. I post my images on Maj.com; which I discovered, deletes non-image files automatically. I have no place to upload the .mov file to share.

H&C: I went ahead an uploaded my .mpg to Brickshelf. I posted the message in the H&A forum. Here's the link if you wish to check it out: Wild West Town & Train Clip.

The Santa Fe sets are some of the most gorgeous sets LEGO has ever produced in my opinion. I like them so much I've gone just a little crazy in buying sets, and it doesn't seem like I'm done, either. (Oh yes, soon I shall have myself a B-unit) :-D

It's not plain silver, it's more like "waves" in the plastic. (those who own these bricks will understand!) :-P

On Bricklink this type of color in 'waves' is refered to as a 'pearl' color. So Pearl Silver, Pearl light grey, Pearl gold, etc. Bricklink recognizes the Pearl color in the Santa Fe cars as "Pearl Light Grey".

--Tony

I would agree with SavaTheAggie. I like the Santa Fe sets too. I have always been a fan of the Burlington Northern Railroad before the merger. I liked the green & black color scheme. But when I saw TLC make the Santa Fe Super Chief, I got into that railroad too. Now Santa Fe and Burlington Northern merged, so I have the best of both railroads *sweet* . I plan to build my layout to reflect the freshly merged railroads (1995). This way I can have both color schemes.

Has anyone heard if TLC still has a contract with BNSF? I hope so, I am very curious to see what Lego plans to come out with.

Got to love the japanese; there's no parallell to how they put the bricks together!

God knows how fast that engine will go; he's put the large BBB wheels directly to the motor! On the other hand, there can't be much grip (no tires). Wheelspin, anyone?

Hey guys,

what do you guys think of set 10017 (the hopper waggon) ? I'm plannin on buying this one this month but I'm not sure yet, they look so high to me

I like 'em and own two. They really look good when you use 3 or more in a cargo train if you have the space for a long train. Hight wasn't really a concern for me, they fit well with all waggons I have.

I do also own two of those, it's a really nice model and a good source of tan bricks.

They look especially good if they're many in a row, if you understand. ;-)

Height isn't really a concern for me either.

10017 on! *y*

I own three, and can confirm both Hobbes' and UB's statements.

It fits well within the general silhouette of LEGO trains, and stands no taller than Metroliner/Euro Express or the Santa Fe train. It's just happens to be built on a 24-stud base rather than a 28-stud base, which sort of gives it weird proportions when looked at a certain angle. But "in the flesh", it's *y*.

Also included was a very nice shop@home train catalog, makes me weep that I was not an afol in 2003. The prices of those MoT wagons have almost doubled.

Oh really? X-D In Norway, they're offered at half price.. :-P

Smart Club ON! *y*

I do also own two of those, it's a really nice model and a good source of tan bricks.

They look especially good if they're many in a row, if you understand. ;-)

Height isn't really a concern for me either.

10017 on! *y*

I liked the unloading mechanism of 10017 so much that I used it as inspiration for my Railtrack hoppers:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199422

Each wagon of the rake of 5 holds and reliably unloads 1400 1x1 round plates!

I just need to alter the end of one wagon to add the diesel generator that generates hydraulic power for the doors.

Mark

I have limited space for my city, and I want the go through the city and out, but I have noe points, and only straight and curved are avadible in my shop. Has anyone else had a problem like that, and without buying points, how'd you resovle it?

Heh,

I finally got my 10017 hopper waggon, It is indeed a lovely thing :) But now I want another one.

It is the first time that I feel that technic is both functional and good looking. Not a real technic fan overhere :)

Time to show of a part of my new moc:

875465720_46ceb60d83.jpg

Not quite finished yet, montain still needs a lot of work. The bridge design comes from a lego idea book from the 1960's. I changed it just a little bit.

You can see the orignal picture here.

I could have easely made this bridge with smooth parts but I kind of like that bricky look. :)

Edited by highlandcattle

I could have easely made this bridge with smooth parts but I kind of like that bricky look. :)

Wow, that

Considering it's just a piece of track (and thus doesn't really need a review), and that my digital camera is bust, I figured I just as might add a little about 7997, the train rail crossing, here.

First thing worth noting about this piece of track, is that it is surprisingly compact. Each half is 24 studs long, or 1,5 straights long, totalling 48 studs (3 straights) when properly assembled. LEGO didn't bother engineering a new connection method between these two halves, so regular tracks can be connected to the joining end of each half. Other than length, it follows the same standards as all other track.

Second, dissapointingly, there are two notches for the switches, and not three as I thought. Only one track can be set to forward at a time, with the other side being set to turn. This works okay if the trains are approaching at opposite directions, or if you want a figure eight track, but two trains travelling in the same direction will end up on the same track. Offcourse, the switch itself requires little force to operate, and easily be "jammed" in the center position, leaving the guidance-rails halfway open, but I see it more as a recipe for disaster rather than keeping two trains separated.

Worth buying? Only if you need it. It compacts switching yards tremendously, provided you can live without electricity in the tracks.

I'm kinda glad you talk so negativly abuot this set, this was one of the reasons I wanted to switch all my 4,5v track into RC track but know that yo tell me that you can't run it in two seperate lines that kinda blows. So 'll be sticking with 4.5v.