Sign in to follow this  
woody64

French Red Lancer and Austrian Uhlan

I don't have green bodies to expand my army with a lancer ....

Therefore I made one based on a red body which was used by the 2nd french lancer regiment.

(Since most of these troopes where indeed mercenary soldiers I hope it doesn't matter to much for this guy ...)

French Red Lancer:

frenchulan2nd.jpgfrenchlancer2nd.jpg

Austrian Ulan:

austrianulan.jpg

Brickshelf Gallery

Wow, a Lego version of a French Lancier Rouge.

What was the function of the Ulans in the Austrian army?

These are really high quality design and will make a fine addition for our torso library.

uhlans

Those are really great work. I especially like the custom pennant, which is a tiny job, but goes a long way to improve the look of the figure.

To Bonaparte:

The Austrian Uhlans were Polish, and were used for scouting and reconnaisance work. They were excellent against cavalry, and could attack infantry squares with their long lances. Their high point was in 1809, when they damaged the French Carabiniers so much that Napoleon gave them copper breasplates and helmets, making them look similar to cuirassiers, except for the helmets, which looked fairly like Austrian infantry helmets. The carabiniers were light cavalry up to this point.

I really believe these designs deserve a thread of their own, so I've splitted them from my Napoleon and his army thread.

Thanks for that explanation Mr. Mosana. I realize that I don't know that much about the structure of the Austrian army.

I plan to buy a good book to learn something more about these armies (Austrian, Russian, ...).

I really believe these designs deserve a thread of their own, so I've splitted them from my

So since you like them I add the decals for the officer and the trumpeter.

frenchlancer2nd-o.jpgfrenchlancer2nd-t.jpg

This is slightly off topic but...

We seem to be having a lot of custom torsos posted these days so I'm wondering if it would it be benefitial to convert the Pirate LEGO Signature & Avatar Workshop into a Custom Graphics sub-forum?

ah, the mounted uhlans...

they must be incorrectly placed in the game cossacks 2: napoleonic wars as french soldiers...

I really recognize him, good job!

BTW: Bonaparte, my Napoleon will be posted this week, I've ordered the right face for him.

Gaetano

This is slightly off topic but...

We seem to be having a lot of custom torsos posted these days so I'm wondering if it would it be benefitial to convert the Pirate LEGO Signature & Avatar Workshop into a Custom Graphics sub-forum?

I would just keep the customs in the MOC forum for now (they are MOCs after all). People still need to get used to the new structure, so I wouldn't do any changes for at least 1 year. Right now, we just need stability. We could have a "Pirate Customs"-forum in the far future (like they have on CC). But let's not start that discussion here.

To go back on-topic, what do you think of these designs Mr. Phes?

What do you think of these designs Mr. Phes?

They look quite nicely designed, very geometric, very symmetrical, but it would be interesting to see a couple of things:

1) A more photogenic (doesn't have to be an actual photograph as a painting would do) picture of the uniform these designs are based form

2) A photogenic (yes this one does have to be a photo X-D ) of a the custom design on a mini-figure.

So what are the chances of either of those things happening?

1) A more photogenic (doesn't have to be an actual photograph as a painting would do) picture of the uniform these designs are based form

Yesterday I did most of the designs based on Funcken, IV.

Here are some plates from the internet:

Austrian Ulan/Lancer

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Austrian...cavalryuniforms

Austrian Husar

mmod_32068.JPG

French Guard, 1st Lancers

Polishlancers_garde.jpgGuard_lancer.gif

French Guard, 2nd Lancers

evd_c4f30.jpg

For an actual picture of a Lego minific I'm looking forward for some missing parts.

Andreas

So you have made all the decals for the the 1st and 2nd French lancers. That's really great.

Let's summarize:

The 1st French lancer regiment: Lancer, trumpeter and officer

frenchlancer1st.jpgfrenchlancer1st-t.jpgfrenchlancer1st-o.jpg

The 2nd French lancer regiment: Lancer, trumpeter and officer

frenchlancer2nd.jpgfrenchlancer2nd-t.jpgfrenchlancer2nd-o.jpg

Austrian Ulan and Husar :

austrianulan.jpgaustrianhusar.jpg

I need to find some time to test these on some of my figs.

Austrian Husar as minifig in front of the Zipser fortress.

austrianhusar.jpg

Very nice. What is the hair?

Very nice. What is the hair?

All custom hats are from plasticine. In this case I also tried to add some hair ...

But so far I didn't dare to bake it because I'm afraid it will loose its form.

The overhead structure after painting looks a little like the waxed coat the hats were protected during campaign ...

With the sticker I have to change a little bit the colour to be more nearby the base colour of the original lego body.

Andreas

Aren't there certain types of modelling clay that can be baked which retain their forms? I know we've discussed them before in other threads but right now I can't recall the name of the product or the thread we discussed them in.

Can anyone else?

I use Games Workshop's "green stuff" for all my sculpting.

The problem is that it's very difficult to remove it, as it hardens to the head, which is probably why I don't sculpt much. I've only made a couple of berets, and they're firmly attatched to the heads they're on.

Aren't there certain types of modelling clay that can be baked which retain their forms? I know we've discussed them before in other threads but right now I can't recall the name of the product or the thread we discussed them in.

I remember now! Its called Sculpey!

Nice uniforms! Are they both infantry?

Can you post them in higher resolution? Now the resolution is 96dpi x 96dpi which is a bit low (you see some problems).

I normally take a resolution of 600dpi - 600dpi.

Nice uniforms! Are they both infantry?

Can you post them in higher resolution? Now the resolution is 96dpi x 96dpi which is a bit low (you see some problems).

I normally take a resolution of 600dpi - 600dpi.

Russian Infantry

Russian Riflemen

nice decals

I suggest you try waterslide decals, I gotta find some decal paper first 8-(

I sometimes use FIMO clay wich needs to be baked. Many burned pieces, tho...

Gaetano